No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-06-10, 6:03am
Formerly known as LT

Default Who loves Reichenbach Glass??!!

I love Raku and was thinking that there other colors are looking pritty good. What are your favorites? What are the transparents like? I am wanting to try a white but don't know what one. I read that The bright enamel white devits really bad. Is there one that doesn't. Also looking for a nice ivory color that stays clean when used with the silver colors. I love the 104 ivory for organics but sometimes I just want a clean look with the other silver glass. I would love to hear about any cool reations with this glass. How close are the colors on the olympic color site compaired to what the glass looks like worked? I have been surprised with every color I have recieved. For me it has been hard to tell what I will get because if you look at the lampworking area it looks different than if you look at the colors link. Like Raku it looks sooooo different than it is worked in a flame. Good thing though because I thought it looked like poo in there picture. Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-06-10, 6:20am

Hi!
I love Reichenbach goldbrown in combination with Czech Ivory - it doesn't react with silver.
Here is an example of what I made with it:

Verena

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2007-06-10, 6:24am
Formerly known as LT

It's very nice. Looks like you put pink in there. Is that a reaction with the goldbrown? Really cool. I checked for the Czech Ivory and didn't find it. Where can I get it/what COE is it? Thanks Verena

Old 2007-06-10, 7:23am

Hi!
The "pinkish" thing is the reaction the ivory makes with lots of colors - so beware that!
You can get it here: http://www.checkglass.com/soda-lime/.../prod_169.html
Verena

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2007-06-10, 7:30am
Life is change. Love it

Many of the transparents are very dark., you have to layer them over an opaque to see the colour,. The colours are wonderful. If you want opaque pinks and purples, Reich and Zimmerman are the best! Several of the opaques will 'pit', but I don't mind this myself, it adds to the beads. All the iris colours are lovely, you can reduce them to get lovely sheens, or work them with 104 for all kinds of reactions (check out boro look threads) The following beads are all Reichenbach, but I often use small amounts on my 104 beads too, the pinks layered on white make beautiful flowers.
Attached Images

Old 2007-06-10, 7:34am

Ah, one more:
I love to use Reichenbach for Flower Petals. I put the Reichenbach on the bead, then the opaque 104 color on top of it. Nice reaction:

Doesn't work wir yellow, orange, red, but with blues, pink, greens,...
I use Reichenbach for Kaleidoscope-beads as well.
Verena

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2007-06-10, 4:43pm
FatCat Mama

I'm slowing expanding my Reichenbach stash - I love the colors too! I don't love the enamel white though. Instead I use the 96COE white from Jessica at Phoenix - here it is.

Teri P

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2007-06-10, 11:29pm
Formerly known as LT

Thanks for the info!

Old 2007-06-11, 1:52am

I love the Zimmerman Purple Rose Special. It is a bit higher in price than others but a very cool glass especially when you combine it with Opal Yellow. If you are looking for some good basic colors check out the System 96 at www.glasscolor.com
Old 2007-06-11, 2:24am
Formerly known as LT

Thanks Donna! That sale is the reason I am looking into it. I love the colors I have tried so far. (I have only tried a handful.) I mainly wanted to know if there are any to stay away from but so far the only complaint I have found is on the R-61 enamel white and that the colors are deep. I really like the deep frit colors I have tried. A little does go a long way and the color stays nice. Good stuff.

Old 2007-06-11, 7:06am
as in the state

Their color range is fantastic! The transparents are really dark...they all look almost black unless you smoosh them out in a paddle. I haven't worked with the transparents too much because I was waiting on my white. But now I have it and I'm good to go ('cept now I need more propane!) I'm just amazed with all the colors available, though. Most of my beads lately have been Reichenbach for that reason.

-Amy
Old 2007-06-11, 8:08am
Dances With Fire

I too am in love with Reichenbach...such pretty glass...just thought I'd put a warning in here if you are new to buying this glass...MAKE SURE you order lampworking cane and not rods....or you will get large round bricks of glass...not rods....not that you cant use it...but if it is cane you want ...make sure you order it!

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2007-06-11, 9:36am
Spell check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyone View Post
I too am in love with Reichenbach...such pretty glass...just thought I'd put a warning in here if you are new to buying this glass...MAKE SURE you order lampworking cane and not rods....or you will get large round bricks of glass...not rods....not that you cant use it...but if it is cane you want ...make sure you order it!

This is what there rods look like. I had never seen them befor, so had to take a picture.
Be sure you ask for cane if you want 4-5mm size for lampwork, like Sonnyone said.
Elaine

Last edited by nitefire; 2007-06-11 at 9:39am.
Old 2007-06-11, 11:03am

HOLY SMOKES!!!! That's about the size of a sausage, how would you even begin doing anything with?
Old 2007-06-11, 11:22am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyluv4ever View Post
HOLY SMOKES!!!! That's about the size of a sausage, how would you even begin doing anything with?
That's the size that glass blowers use.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-06-11, 1:33pm
Formerly known as LT

Hey thanks for the warning. I noticed that complaint quite a while back when I first ordered the Raku so I ordered the cane then. I just didn't ever envision the rod being that big. That would be a bad day. I really wish they would post that on there site a bit better for those who have never ordered from them. Anyone used any of the whites they like?

Old 2007-06-11, 1:48pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I have quite a stash of reichenbach. From my experience so far the only color I would not advise you to purchase is the opaque black. I hate it. The rest that I have tried I love. As stated above the transparents are very intense. I've mixed them with transparent clear or opaque white to make them less intense.

Ebay:
Old 2007-06-11, 1:56pm
da General

I use the florence white - is a bit shocky but no worse than EDP.

Londa - I recently got a stash of the Reichenbach colors (lots of transparent, some are quite similar), since I had to get them in 1/4 kg (0.6 lb.) . . . and a little goes a long way, do you want a sampler to try? (Sigrid/Squid and I did a trade for some of her BE.) PM me if you are interested.

This is a list of what I have:
Z99 Zimmerman Purple Rose
R106 Iris Dk Brown
R-108 Iris Orange
R-61 Enamel White
R-105 Florence White
R-74 Granny Apple Green
R-10 Violet Blue
R-145 Iris Blue
R-14 Hyacinth Violet
R-218 Iris Yellow
R-232 Cranberry Pink
R-3 Dark Gold Pink
R-39 Brilliant Copper Blue
R-215 Gold Brown
R-6 Salmon Pink
R-9 Fuschia
R-8 Yellowish Aurora
R-191 Iris Amber Green

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-06-11, 1:58pm
da General

As for a 104 "ivory" that doesn't react - I love Silver Pink! Works great with silver glass and stays nice and creamy ivory.

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-06-11, 2:03pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

ooh - thanks for the tip on silver pink

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-06-11, 2:45pm
da General

Don't thank me - thank Kimberly . . . learned that from her!

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-06-11, 6:09pm
Dances With Fire

kittyluvforever:
those are used to melt on a punty to add to a gather to pull colored cane or as an underlying color...maybe more...my use in the hot shop was limited to that. balancing that on a punty til molten gives new meaning to the word gravity! hehe

you can still pull stringer from the large chunks if you do get stuck with it by accident.

crystal

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2007-06-11, 6:25pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

My name is Debbie and I am a Reich. Ho.

See my gallery:

http://www.piercesdesigns.com/gallery.php

I am addicted!!

Old 2007-06-11, 8:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyone View Post
kittyluvforever:
those are used to melt on a punty to add to a gather to pull colored cane or as an underlying color...maybe more...my use in the hot shop was limited to that. balancing that on a punty til molten gives new meaning to the word gravity! hehe

you can still pull stringer from the large chunks if you do get stuck with it by accident.

crystal
yep - you can also pull it to smaller and use it to decorate the glass or thread it on a work as decoration after getting it molten. I love a solid color core with layers of clear on top for perfume bottles
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2007-06-12, 12:55am
Formerly known as LT

Thanks for all the info! You guys are great.
Debbie Nice beads! What transparent does that color shift in your Icy Jewels set. Do alot of the transparents have a stripy effect or are they more even like that set you made. I have read that most of the transparents have striations but can't find any examples of it.

Old 2007-06-12, 4:26am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feldt's Glass View Post
Thanks for all the info! You guys are great.
Debbie Nice beads! What transparent does that color shift in your Icy Jewels set. Do alot of the transparents have a stripy effect or are they more even like that set you made. I have read that most of the transparents have striations but can't find any examples of it.

You might be thinking of Gaffer transparents, which has that streaky, veiled aspect.

To get the look in my Jewel beads you stripe a transparent thinly over a white or other light colored opaque then pull into a thick stringer. It is amazing the colors you get!

Old 2007-06-13, 7:08am
Formerly known as LT

Thanks Debbie! I wasn't sure if the veiled look came from the Reichenbach or not, I just read that in another post. Do all the Gaffer transparents do that or just a few special ones?

Old 2007-06-14, 10:42pm
Formerly known as LT

Anyone have any colors that are just to good to pass up? I only have a couple more days to decide

Old 2007-06-15, 10:11am

Anyone have any tips on how not to burn out the transparents ? seems they want to turn brown on me. I clear encased some stringers to stop that from happening. Haven't worked much yet with it ...

My favorites are 66C Bright Pink and 88C Opal Violet, with iris orange/intense black stinger and stringers made with 2C Ruby Gold encased in clear. For the life of me, I can't load a picture here .. so here is one that sold on Ebay a while back ...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...L:EOISSA:CA:11

96C - Purple is more like Opal Raspberry & Opal Rose, also very similar.
~~

Old 2007-06-15, 12:11pm

I have a bunch of their frits up on Ebay. I love the furnace glasses!
But I think Vas Cox's discovery of "Raku" is my all time favorite!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !