AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Old 2006-03-02, 8:58pm

Default Tree Bead

I know I have seen tree bead tutorials. Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

Lara

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-03-27, 9:43am
Anna Duhame

Lara,

I don't know where to find a tutorial, but I'd be glad to tell you how I make trees....like this one:

You need to have several stringers, a striped one in green and black (or whatever you want your leaves to look like), a trunk one, so it looks good to be striped in shades of gray or brown...you can also throw some SIS into it--that looks nice! I like these stringers to be cased in transparent...it makes them easier to manipulate and more heat resistant.

Also you need rods in pea green, sky blue, green blend frit, colored blend frit, silver pink (optional)

I make a base bead, usually a barrel or bicone shape...1/2 blue and 1/2 green...then I roll it in white enamel...then I roll the bottom in a blend of green frit (GG mountain fern is what I use), I melt it in and then I roll the bottom half in some colored frit (Val COx Cherry Blossom is what I use). I melt that in...THEN I add splotches of silver pink in the sky...you can use white or whatever, but I love the look of the silver pink.

Then I press the base bead (this makes it easier for applying a tree)...I take my "trunk stringer" and in a downward motion I draw a line from about midway where I want my tree...I trail this down as one root...then I do it again...usually three times until I have the trunk as thick as I like it. Then I go to the top and add branches...just like I did the roots, just the opposite directs...sprawl them out across the bead. Last of all make "dots" in the green stringer all around the branches...

You need to make sure after applying the trunk that you kind of press it down a little so it doesn't pop off...if it does...don't worry, just add it again...if anything when that happens it adds a little interest. Also tamp the leaves down so the bond well with the base....

I wish I could do this with pictures...I will see if I can get DH to take pictures.

Oh, and if you want to do a palm tree...

You can make it in a very similar way....you use a twisted stringer and start at the bottom of the trunk and work upward...lay down the fronds in green and then rake them to make them look more realistic.

Last edited by hummingbird3172; 2006-03-27 at 10:13am.
Old 2006-03-27, 10:34am

Wonderful tutorial and beads, Anna! Just one question on the palm tree bead, what do you use for the ocean water? It looks so realistic, with the rising waves and the flow - just gorgeous!

Old 2006-03-27, 10:38am
Anna Duhame

Thanks Vicki! Actually I usually use sky blue or turquoise with white enamel and some transparent blue frit....it creates the perfect surf!

Old 2006-03-27, 10:51am
Flossy-Flossy

You amaze me Anna......
Those are wonderful!

Old 2006-03-27, 2:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird3172
Thanks Vicki! Actually I usually use sky blue or turquoise with white enamel and some transparent blue frit....it creates the perfect surf!
Thanks so much Anna! I can't wait to try this!

Old 2006-03-27, 5:15pm
Anna Duhame

Thanks! I'd love to see pictures! I am always ready to see pictures of beautiful beads!

Old 2006-10-07, 1:23pm

Default I can make a tree bead!

Thanks so much for the tutoral...I am thrilled with my new tree beads!
Old 2006-10-08, 7:10pm

*applause* Further proof that Anna rocks.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2006-10-09, 6:53pm

I made my first tree bead several weeks ago. Thought I should share as I started this thread. Peach Tree: RRT as the peaches/leaves, slate blue as the sky and some sort of orcher green as the grass.
Attached Images

Old 2007-01-17, 2:56pm
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
I made my first tree bead several weeks ago. Thought I should share as I started this thread. Peach Tree: RRT as the peaches/leaves, slate blue as the sky and some sort of orcher green as the grass.
Beautiful, Lara!

Old 2007-01-17, 8:26pm

Thanks Anna. My good customer and patient bought this bead from me.

Old 2007-01-18, 7:46am
Anna Duhame

I love the trunk...it looks so silvery! The colors are all perfect!