Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-11-15, 7:53am
The Andrea Half

Default Raku Tips for HotHead Users?

Monarae and I are in the same boat--we have tried everything on our HHs and still only get tans and the whisper of a blue from Raku. Heat until glowy, check; cool on brass tool, check; cool with tool that's stood on an ice-pack, check; turn propane down as far as it will go and work low in the flame, check ..... However, folks can get those lustrous rainbow colours from their HHs. So: HELP!!! Any tips or tutorials on how you make raku really pop in those eyecatching colors *using a HH*?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-11-15, 3:41pm

Yes! Heat the raku for a while over the highest flame you can get, until when you take it out of the flame the raku all looks BLACK and you think you've destroyed your bead - that means it is working.
At this stage I usually do the whole brass tool thing (but I'm not sure if it's really necessary).
Leave on the surface to get red-orange-green-ish (+blue sometimes) colors (I've noticed that longer annealing time tends to produce better colors this way). Encase in clear (while the raku still looks black) to get some wild blues, pinks and purples.
This works best on a black background, or a dark color in general. Some days it doesn't work at all - don't ask me why. But don't give up, the colors are definitely possible! These were made on my HotHead:

(encased)

|
|
|

Last edited by sarah_hornik; 2007-01-17 at 4:57am.
Old 2006-11-15, 6:05pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Gorgeous beads Sarah! I take back everything I said about not being able to get raku color with a HH. Apparently only I wasn't able to get color...
Old 2006-11-15, 7:19pm
Dangerous Woman

I got all kinds of things on my HH out of Raku. Try this: Hold the bead as close to the tip of the flame as you can. Not the outter tip but as close to the hothead itself. I got oil slik type effects and mirror effects. I was not working on bulk fuel only the propane fatboys.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-01-16, 9:17pm

What's raku? I heard people talking about Raku but i'm not sure. Would someone guide me to some answers. Many thanks.
Old 2007-01-17, 10:06am

I am getting a black color on my HH, but it appears to be a reduction reaction (the metallic reaction I usually get if I'm accidentally too low in the flame.) If I move my bead back to the proper part of the flame, this blackness goes away. This black isn't what you're talking about, is it? I have never gotten any black reaction other than this. Help!

-Patti
Old 2007-01-17, 10:12am

Sorry, Nancy, I didn't see your post...yes, this is what I'm talking about...the mirror type reaction. Did your bead stay that way? Is that what you were going for, or are you saying that you got a colorful reaction from this?

Chau, Raku is a frit, also known as Iris Orange.

-Patti
Old 2007-01-17, 2:57pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

I used raku on every color imaginable, every day for almost a year, and didnt get CRAP! RAKU IS A CURSE, LOL, But dont listen to me, now I have a minor and dont get much with that either! bwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaa! lol.

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2007-01-17, 3:09pm
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
Sorry, Nancy, I didn't see your post...yes, this is what I'm talking about...the mirror type reaction. Did your bead stay that way? Is that what you were going for, or are you saying that you got a colorful reaction from this?

Chau, Raku is a frit, also known as Iris Orange.

-Patti
Yes the mirror effect stayed. And yes it is what I was going after that time.
But you can make it go away if you move your bead further out in the flame.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-01-17, 5:36pm

Ok, I tried what Sarah said and it did not turn black, or even dark, except when I accidentally reduced it. I don't know what the heck I'm doing wrong. It's just not fair! LOL!
But I got some pretty browns/rusts and a teeny bit of a blue-ish purple. Anyone else (HH users) have success?
-Patti
Old 2007-01-17, 6:27pm

Default about the same

I get mostly bieges, some pinks and lt blues. One thing I wonder about is the difference in the various rakus. When you look at the rods, esp, there are opaque, light rods, medium ones and dark sort of transparent. Wonder if the type of raku makes a difference.

If ever there was a time to experiemnt with cold brass marvering, it would be this week - maybe tomorrow.
Old 2007-01-19, 1:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
Ok, I tried what Sarah said and it did not turn black, or even dark, except when I accidentally reduced it. I don't know what the heck I'm doing wrong. It's just not fair! LOL!
But I got some pretty browns/rusts and a teeny bit of a blue-ish purple. Anyone else (HH users) have success?
-Patti
It doesn't always work - but don't give up! You have to get the bead REALLY REALLY hot - drippy hot. I've had better luck getting the effect on smaller beads (I think it might be because they absorb more heat, but I'm not sure) and using frit. I had no luck with stringer - but I gave up on that after a couple of times, I might not have tried hard enough.

|
|
|
Old 2007-01-19, 3:52pm
phrit phreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chau Nguyen T View Post
What's raku? I heard people talking about Raku but i'm not sure. Would someone guide me to some answers. Many thanks.

R108 (Reichenbach 108) comes in rod or frit, sometimes called Iris Orange ....
Hope this answers your question.

Lori