LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2009-03-19, 10:27pm

That's a good photo, really gives a good look at the way it is set out.
If you make the shelving on the right of the torch shorter, you could fit another torch there, right? This is something I want, a second torch station.
Another question:
Come summer, is it aircond or is there a good airflow moving past you? (not talking about makeup air for venting, thinking about comfort levels for working.

Cheers
Kym
Old 2009-03-20, 12:38am
Salt Box Beads

Kym,

Couldn't fit two torches as the Mega Minor is not at full power with the one concentrator. I would need a second OXY CON and there is no room for it. You could do two torches on tanked. My bench is four feet wide and only two feet deep so it would be crowded for two.

With this small of space it would add more hoses and I think it would irritate the heck outta me. I feel kinda tight in there now.

Red Bluff is one of the hottest areas in the US. Sometimes we beat Death Valley!! Sometimes it can reach 120 with 105-116 pretty average in the summer. So A/C is a must. I will put in a small tiny room window A/C in the other manger area across from the kiln.

I doubt I will torch in the heat of the day on really hot days which for me would be 110 or hotter. I will do evening torching then. I have to get up early in the summer and water the grounds and orchard. So mornings during the summer are mostly taken.

I will turn on the A/C at about noon in the trailer during the summer, even if I am not in it to help keep my equipment from frying...That trailer gets hot real quick.

The propane tanks are kept on the cool side of the house so they are usually okay to use in the evenings. I will torch in the mornings when I can.

We talked about maybe having to insulate the trailer inside on the ceiling.

In the winter I will use a small heater where the A/C is.

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2009-05-01 at 9:09am. Reason: blog reference: there is no more blog
Old 2009-03-21, 4:34am

Wow your husband is quite the handyman...he did a great job...
Old 2009-03-21, 11:01am
Salt Box Beads

Thank-you so much. I will tell him that you said that. He will be pleased. It has been a fun but exasperating at times project to undertake. Hopefully I will be torching soon????

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2009-04-15 at 11:09pm. Reason: Removed reference to blog
Old 2009-03-26, 1:18pm
Bust It Big

Awsome Awsome Idea. You have done some very nice construction to get that shop ROLLING. keep us posted with more pics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-03-26, 3:18pm
Salt Box Beads

Thank-you so much bzglass for the wonderful words of encouragement. My DH went back to work for about a week so it is all on hold again.

( I could finish it myself) but DH wants to do it and then test it all out and make sure the exhaust fan is doing its job etc. He loves me.

DH should be through with the second well drilling in the middle of next week at the latest...I have to work at being patient..

Hopefully the final finished studio pics by the end of next week.

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2009-04-15 at 11:14pm. Reason: Removed reference to blog
Old 2009-03-26, 4:11pm

I think I could probably fit two crickets and run them on one really good concentrator which is probably what I will end up doing. I want to be able to give the occasional lesson while we are travelling. I figure some of the places we will be going to will not have lampworkers and I might be able to make a little pin money.

We envisage spending a lot of time inland in the north so heat is always a question! How much can I stand? LOL

I know they can get 02 because most of the stations do their own welding but I don't want to carry 02 in a van. I think it would be risking too much in the event of an accident/incident but I also don't want to use HH's. I am stuck looking for a concentrator that will power 2 crickets... even at 85% or so would be fine because crickets are pretty hot.

I just think it is easier to teach with a torch each, side by side but if I have to, I will go with just the one torch.

My space is about 8foot x 6foot all up but I also have to be able to fit a scooter in that space while travelling and hang a bicycle on one wall. One of the 6' sides is a wind down ramp so there will be plenty of makeup/ airflow if I have it down.

A lot of what you show is great at giving me ideas on setout etc. and on things like insulation etc.

Thanks
Kym
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 TOUCANS View Post
Kym,

Couldn't fit two torches as the Mega Minor is not at full power with the one concentrator. I would need a second OXY CON and there is no room for it. You could do two torches on tanked. My bench is four feet wide and only two feet deep so it would be crowded for two.

With this small of space it would add more hoses and I think it would irritate the heck outta me. I feel kinda tight in there now.

Red Bluff is one of the hottest areas in the US. Sometimes we beat Death Valley!! Sometimes it can reach 120 with 105-116 pretty average in the summer. So A/C is a must. I will put in a small tiny room window A/C in the other manger area across from the kiln.

I doubt I will torch in the heat of the day on really hot days which for me would be 110 or hotter. I will do evening torching then. I have to get up early in the summer and water the grounds and orchard. So mornings during the summer are mostly taken.

I will turn on the A/C at about noon in the trailer during the summer, even if I am not in it to help keep my equipment from frying...That trailer gets hot real quick.

The propane tanks are kept on the cool side of the house so they are usually okay to use in the evenings. I will torch in the mornings when I can.

We talked about maybe having to insulate the trailer inside on the ceiling.

In the winter I will use a small heater where the A/C is.

Lorraine

There are pics on my blog but you can click on them and see a larger version.
Old 2009-03-27, 4:19am
Cherine Perrin Glass

So friggin' cool! You can actually travel with your studio if you wanted to,

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2009-03-27, 6:08pm

I've been think of doing something like this for a long time.
very cool and really well done
thanks for sharing

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2009-03-27, 7:18pm
No Problem!

Awesome! You can go on a camping trip and take your creation station with you...
I'm pretty sure you should name it.
A nice window A/C unit would probably do really well in the small space. You could also try some radiant insulation (the rolls of foil coated bubble wrap type stuff) on the ceiling to cut down on the heat from any sun beating down...or you could just roll it under a big tree

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2009-03-27, 8:30pm
Salt Box Beads

Thanks for all of the kind words guys..maybe we will start seeing a lot of traveling horse trailer studios.. hey, we could have a horse trailer studio Jamboree!!

Beau..that is exactly what we are going to do. I found the perfect little room ac at Lowe's for 65.00.

We used the radiant insulation on the inside of the plenum and around the Barley box and I am going to make my window coverings out of it AND...I am going to insulate the ceiling with it. It is some very versatile stuff.

So I have my work cut out for me.

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2009-04-15 at 11:15pm. Reason: Removed reference to blog
Old 2009-03-27, 8:48pm
No Problem!

Nice! It's the perfect thing for what you've got going on, does a great job of keeping heat out of metal structures..
Just in case you didn't already know it performs best if it has an air gap between it and the exterior surface to avoid conduction.. It'll still work just not as efficiently. You can just put some shims against the roof to mount it so there is a nice 1/2-1" gap between the stuff and the roof..
Congrats on your new rolling studio, it looks really nice.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2009-03-29, 2:12pm
Salt Box Beads

Default Figured out my window covers.

I figured out how to do my insulated window covers. Have a look see.

I really like how it turned how out. Now I have 3 more to make and then I need to cover the ceiling area with the same material and I should be pretty well insulated for the extreme weather.
Lorraine
Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2009-04-15 at 11:15pm. Reason: Removed reference to blog
Old 2009-04-05, 10:37am
old fart

i like what you have done. good job!!!! i would suggest that you box in the ends and the back of your bench to improve ventilation efficiency. you could use cement wallboard for extra fire protection, but even sheetrock would work fine. the face area, that is the area that air can enter the fan through, should be as small as possible for best efficiency. by boxing in the ends, and the back of your bench, and possibly lowering the lip on the front of your bench you can improve your ventilation efficiency by 300%.

Old 2009-04-07, 8:08pm
Salt Box Beads

Thank you Mark! You can't see it but the Barley Box is enclosed with plexiglass. I have the very back area to finish this week then it will be totally enclosed except for the very front. I have an 8" plexiglass baffle on the front too.

Edited to add; Plexiglass on back of barley box had to be removed, torch heat was reaching it. I used sheet metal instead. The rest of the plexiglass is doing fine.

Here is a pic of the insulation..we finished it today! So glad that's over with and it really helps. The crossbeams are hot to touch and the insulation is warm to the touch. I am glad we put it in.

We should be finished by this week-end. I hope to have my first torching session then.

Sorry.... that's a big picture!

Lorraine
Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2009-05-20 at 8:52pm.
Old 2009-04-07, 8:24pm

So are the insulated window covers to keep the heat out in summer?
Can you park it in the shade?

It looks nice and neat inside now. Waiting to see it again after you have used it for a couple of weeks!

Kym
Old 2009-04-08, 9:44am
Salt Box Beads

Hi Kym, The insulation is for winter and summer and to help keep the neighbors from looking in especially at night when it will be lit up.

It really does help and in the summer heats 105-116 average, a metal trailer without any insulation would get mighty hot. probably 140 or higher.

Because the space is so small I will probably clean up after every session. So there will not be much difference in the finished photos and the months later of use photos. Except there may be burns in the floor..

My jewelry making studio in the house is another story!!! I was in the middle of making jewelry and trying to reorganize it so this is what it looks like today..AWFUL!!! I can't even think about it until after the trailer is finished so here it sits. I do know mostly where everything is at though.

The clear blue tool is a foot roller from AVON. I have no idea what it is doing on the jewelry bench. I usually have it front of the computer so I can roll my feet on it while surfing the web. Hehe

Lorraine
Attached Images

Old 2009-04-08, 12:16pm

The foot roller is for making really BIG jump rings, right? LOL
I have all mystuff packed away because there is no room in my house til someone moves out or I get a little studio like yours. So my excuse wouldn't hold water for me if I was given room.
Jewelry stuff makes a mess, not you.

Cheers
Kym
Old 2009-04-08, 1:28pm

How exciting Lorraine!!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-04-08, 3:41pm
Salt Box Beads

Thanks Kym, I hope you can squeeze out a little room somewhere for yourself soon?

Paula, Thanks, it is exciting but has been draining on the pocketbook and on our energy. Not to mention just a little frustrating also. But pushing through is working.

Today is a burn day for DH so he is in the orchard so I do not think we will get anything done in the trailer today. Hopefully tomorrow.
Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2009-04-17 at 10:19pm.
Old 2009-04-09, 11:55pm
Salt Box Beads

Default Just too tired to type right now

Today was cold and rainy. But we got everything done except the AC.

We got the torch set up and all checked out. Because of the electrical situation I had to give up the concentrator or the kiln. I kept the kiln because I like to make big beads, encased beads, raised design beads etc. so they must go directly into a kiln.

This means I had to go back to my fire breathing HH torch...which I love except for the amount of ambient heat it puts out.

Later on down the road we may add more electrical boxes and circuits and get the Mega and the concentrator back in there, but I am actually quite happy right now. The HH is a no fuss torch and I need some simplicity for awhile.
Final pics tomorrow.
Lorraine
Old 2009-04-10, 2:01am

Gee, don't you hate those either/or situations! I have never used a HH and I admit I am a bit scared of them..the noise mainly....chicken me! I admire anyone who works with one.

Cheers
Kym
Old 2009-04-10, 9:32am
Salt Box Beads

Thanks Kym, I needed a little admiration right now...

I know as soon as our economic situation turns around or I sell a gazillion beads we can update the studio.

I also am not so sad at having to switch back to the HH because even though I love the Mega's heat, I really seem to prefer a bushier flame so I'am thinking of selling it and my concentrator and buying a big bad generator and trying out a torch with a bushier flame.

Only time will tell.....and the economy.

Lorraine
Old 2009-04-10, 8:41pm
Rare Florida Native

Wow - Love your space!

Old 2009-04-11, 5:02pm
Salt Box Beads

Default Okay, Here's the end of it

except for a pic of the A/C when it gets installed it is pretty much finished!!

I'am pooped!!

Fuel hose out the window and down to the BBQ tank that is chained to a dolly.

Work bench set up for my torching session tomorrow with the last of my ASK glass.

3rd pic shows storage under bench, electrical set up and flyswatter to chase out the stinging insects with.

Computer station with a small waste basket underneath.

Last pic shows a danish all wood chair I found in the rafters a few hours ago.

It is amazing whats up there. DH will make a new wood seat for it and I will do the upholstery. Something really neat and cheerful like a retro polkadot pattern. I want to strip it and repaint it antique green.

Next to it I will put a little side table and there I can look through my books or tutorials when I need to and still have plenty of room for my old poochy.

I am heading back out to take a few more pics and then we are SO done..LOl

Lorraine
Attached Images

Old 2009-04-11, 5:45pm
Salt Box Beads

The rest of the pics:

From the back of the horse trailer to the electrical boxes is about 10 feet. I had those installed for the garage studio. Thank-goodness I put them exactly where I did because it made it easy to back in the trailer to use them.

2nd pic: I can use my rod warmer if I am making spacers and batch annealing and not using the kiln or if I am not using the A/C unit. So I set it up on the bench.
DH surprised me with three new rod rests he just made out of found metal in the garage. I LUV them.

Then the 6 hole marble mold I just purchased was way too deep for my tastes so DH sanded it down to the depths I wanted.

DH will install the A/C unit either tonight or tomorrow maybe. That will be the very last thing to go into the trailer.

As for the electrical cords here is how we divided it up:

#1. Plugs into the plug in garage by the roll up door and is a 20 amp dedicated circuit. It has the Kiln on it. 12.5 amps

#2. Plugs into the plug in garage by the roll up door and is a 20 amp dedicated circuit. It has the light, the computer and the blower on it. 9 or 10 amps.

#3. Plugs into a plug at the back of garage for the washing machine unit. It is a decidated 20 amp plug. I will NOT be washing clothes when I torch. This will be for the A/c unit which is 5 amps.

We will be checking the power cords for heat quite often to start just to make sure they are not over loaded. All of the power cords are extra heavy duty 12 gauge, 15 AMPS all weather contractor power cords.

They fit nicely under the horse trailer door. I do have to leave it open just a crack but because of how the trailer was made to keep horses in when going down the highways you cannot open the back doors from the inside.

I will use a chain with big steel hooks at both doors and secure them to bars on the inside of the windows in each door. This will keep one door open just enough for the power cords and let me be able to get out that way but feel safe enough when torching that no one can open the door from the outside.

Then I also have the RV door on the tack room I can exit by. I much prefer having two exits. Poochy can lay in the little "living room" and look out the screen door. I am going to buy her a big fluffy rug to lay on.

Lorraine
Attached Images

Old 2009-04-11, 6:18pm
Salt Box Beads

And some more...here is the A/C unit. The wood will be painted white inside and outside and will be fitted. I snagged these pics while DH was just fitting it for size.

So that's it. If anyone has any questions just PM me.

Thanks for all of the wonderful comments and inspiring ideas.

Hugs
Lorraine
Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2009-04-15 at 11:17pm. Reason: Removed link and reference to blog
Old 2009-04-12, 1:33am
Tassie Devil

What a wonderful job the two of you have done setting this up. Thanks for sharing it with us all. It is interesting not only seeing how to fit it into a horse trailer, but as a great design for a small studio space. You seem to have thought of everything!
Old 2009-04-12, 9:37pm

this is really impressive Lorraine, great job! Val

Old 2009-04-12, 10:28pm
Salt Box Beads

Thank you Gayetha, for those wonderful words. We so appreciate them.

Val, Just imagine what you can do with one of the buildings your thinking of using for your new studio!! It's your turn now..LOL

The best advice I can give you or anyone else setting up a studio is:

1. Be prepared to go way over budget!

2. Be very flexible and willing to radically change some previous ideas.

3. Be prepared to go way over your time limit!

4. Keep a box or two of imported Belgian chocolates handy....you're going to need them!!!

Great big thank-you hugs to all!!!
Lorraine