Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2007-06-23, 8:31am
reaction junkie

If I were to do that, I'd need a non-curved tub/hood that can go right up against the wall. Thanks for posting - it looks like a good idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/
/
Old 2007-06-24, 7:14am
stacijane on Etsy

If you really like the look of the washtub (which I do!) and want to try that setup you could cut the tub in half and mount it to the wall. It might not be deep enough though.

Ventilation problems aside, I love love love your studio!!! It looks like such a happy place to be. Mine is all particle board walls and concrete floors. Not very inspirational! LOL! Someday I'll get around to making it Pretty, but right now I'm sharing with my DH.

Old 2007-06-24, 9:27pm
reaction junkie

That's a good idea Staci - if I find a bigger washtub, it could work. And thank you, I love it too - I got to spend some time in there today making beads and it was SO nice, worth the wait even

/
/
/
Old 2007-06-27, 10:52am

You know, I thought the idea for the washtub was a good one, but apparently it does have some challenges. What if you were to fabricate out of sheet metal a piece that would attach to the back side of the hood and fold down so it covers the back wall (therefore sealing all areas of the upper back part), and then use plexiglass on the sides coming as far forward as possible. That way the hood would still stick out plenty far enough from the wall to be effective for proper ventilation, but you'd actually have more work room and it would look more open with the plexiglass. I fabricated my hood out of sheet metal and found it wasn't that hard to cut and bend. Then I attached the pieces that couldn't be folded together with foil tape.

Good luck - your studio is wonderful; I've enjoyed following the progress!
Old 2007-07-02, 3:20pm

Hi!

I've been reading your thread with great interest, as I'm new to beadmaking and looking to configure a safe space to work in. I really like your studio space!

My dad is a professional engineer who designs a lot of HVAC systems (laboratories, hospitals,... toothpaste factories!). Anyway, I recently picked his brain about ventilation for a workspace, figuring he would have a vested interest in making sure no harm came to his daughter and grandkids. He told me that for his laboratory fume hoods, he calculates 100cfm per foot of hood perimeter (or circumference since yours is round).

Therefore, if you want to have a freestanding hood like your washtub, you will want to measure the circumference of the opening in feet; multiply by 100, and that will give you the size fan needed. You can get by with a weaker fan if you have one or more sides closed off (e.g., baffles).

So for example, if you have a 2'X3' rectangular hood, this will be 10' perimeter if it is freestanding like your washtub when you first set it up (2'+3'+3'+2'=10')... or 1000cfm fan needed. If there is a baffle on the back and one side, you can subtract those feet (2'open side+3'open front=5' or 500 cfm fan... other 2'side and 3'back is closed).

Hope this makes sense... and better yet, helps! Still learning about all this stuff...

Kim
Old 2007-07-05, 9:19am

Kim,
That is one of most easily understandable explanations I have seen for how to calculate the cfm of the exhaust fan. I'd really like to hear what your dad has to say about the size and length of the duct hose (if used), ideal placement of fan, best type of fan, ideal shape of hood, distance of hood opening from end of flame. These are additional issues that folks setting up a safe working space are dealing with.

I'll bet you will have the "perfect" ventilation system and I hope you will post photos and more information for it when it is done.

Carol

Old 2007-07-05, 12:08pm

Kim - I've been reading a lot about ventilation in the last year, and this is the first time I've heard about calculating the CFM based on circumference. According to Mike's tutorial:

http://www.artglassforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1918

he has you calculate the square footage area by measuring width x depth x 100 (minimum required cubic feet per minute of airflow). Therefore, if you have a 3' wide by 2' deep hood, you would need a minimum of 600 CFM fan. For the washtub, you'd need to calculate a little differently since it's a little smaller than using the rectangular calculation; calculating for an oval would be better. If I recall correctly, it's the same as calculating the area of a circle, which is pi x radius squared. In this case, to get the radius, you'd add the length and width and divide by 2. Then do the area calc.

If you want to see my system I just posted pictures here in the Studio section under "My Studio".

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2007-07-05, 8:59pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritter View Post
Hi!

So for example, if you have a 2'X3' rectangular hood, this will be 10' perimeter if it is freestanding like your washtub when you first set it up (2'+3'+3'+2'=10')... or 1000cfm fan needed. If there is a baffle on the back and one side, you can subtract those feet (2'open side+3'open front=5' or 500 cfm fan... other 2'side and 3'back is closed).

Kim
I dont think so....... By adding baffles you have just change the "plane" of the opening from horizontal to vertical.... You still have to measure the lengths of the baffles and include then into "opening" perimeter calculations....

So if front width of hood is 3 feet, and hood is 2 feet off bench top, and you extend baffles down to bench top, that is 4 feet (each side at 2 feet) and distance across bench top is same 3 feet as hood front edge, your perimeter opening is still 10 feet and still requires 1000cfm by your method...

Another aspect of the perimeter theory is as opening gets bigger (larger perimeter) actual volume of air becomes less in total CFM pulled through system . Where the square feet of open time 125 cfm theory actual increases volume (cfm) of air flow through hood/vent system as perimeter increases.

Bottom line is perimeter system will flow less air as hood get bigger and square foot theory will flow more air as hood gets bigger.....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-07-05 at 9:11pm.
Old 2007-08-24, 6:40am
reaction junkie

Just adding some pictures of my new glass storage - I'm loving my space and counting down the days til school starts so I can be out there more

The rack/shelving came from Storables - you can customize them any number of ways.

/
/
/
Old 2007-08-24, 7:42am

now that is a cool rod storage rack!!

Old 2007-08-24, 9:54am
"Maybe it's a tumor"

Wow that is so cool. I have been lamenting on what to do for storage and I think that is just what I neeed. I have a small wire rack like that I think it would work great. I can see why you are anxious for schol to get under way.
BTY: I love love love your studio and it has inspired me to do this w/ my little bldg. It looks so cute already like it has been there for a longtime.
Thanks for sharing.
Carol

Last edited by ccrye; 2007-08-24 at 10:01am.
Old 2007-08-27, 8:52am
reaction junkie

thanks guys!

Carol, your place looks great!

And FYI, the shelves are 10X36 in case anyone is trying to figure out what to get to build one. The storables website doesn't seem to have the "rack" things that the store had, but maybe they can be ordered somehow from a retail location.

/
/
/
Old 2007-10-09, 9:32am
reaction junkie

I cleaned up a little, here are some new shots with my new creation station and all my glass finally put away, and my little photo box and my wired busty lady on top of it.

I keep debating moving my kiln to the other side so my tools can be on the right side... too bad I didn't have them put an outlet on that side

/
/
/
Old 2007-10-10, 10:27am
reaction junkie

last shot until I figure out something clever to do with the jewelry making side of things... here's the front all ready for fall, with dog posing oh-so-perfectly even

Some exciting news - someone in England asked me to send him some photos of my studio to be included in a book he's writing about shedworking - how cool is that?! Here's the link: http://www.shedworking.co.uk/search/...-%20the%20book

/
/
/
Old 2007-10-10, 10:49am

Your studio turned out absolutely awesome! Love the pooch and pumpkins! May you make lots and lots of beautiful beads in your wonderful studio.

Old 2007-10-10, 10:51am
reaction junkie

Thank you Leslie! I'm heading out now to make some coffee beads

/
/
/