Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-11-28, 10:50am
GET YOUR BEAD ON!!!!

Default boro clear question

Hey everyone

I have been diving into boro lately - using what I have of a kit Brent sold a few years ago. I need to buy more clear rod stock but I have no idea what to buy.

What are the differences in the brands - ie - simax, pyrex, kimble and schott? There is also a Chinese clear that I don't know anything about. I see that schott doesn't play well with some colors so I need a good all-around clear.

I also don't know what diameters I'm looking at. The stock I have is around 14 mm I think. I use it for implosions but now I'm out. I also don't understand tubing.

What mm do you usually use in rod stock and what type of tubing is most common? FYI I'm just doing pendants and beads- mini cc on 2 oxy - no big big stuff.

Thanks for your help!
Audra
Old 2009-11-28, 12:22pm

If you want clear to encase your beads, you'll want a smaller size than 14mm. I use everything between 4mm and 8mm for encasing, depending on what I'm doing. I have used Simax, Pyrex, and Kimble and like them all--Simax is carried by more of my suppliers so I use that most often. They're all good.

Anita
www.nitabeads.com
Old 2009-11-28, 12:31pm
GET YOUR BEAD ON!!!!

Thanks - I have smaller rods for encasing. I just don't understand the tubing and what mm to use for implosion pendants.
Old 2009-11-28, 12:48pm
funny mofo

Ignore the tubing for now. Get good with solid rods first. There is an entire world of boro before you get to the point where you branch out into hollow things.
Old 2009-11-28, 5:26pm
Pyromaniac

I have varying diameter rods but the ones I use most are:
4 mm, 7 mm for just about everything and then 15 mm for implosions, and 27 mm heavy wall tubing for blown work.
That size tubing should work for you for ornaments and tube implosions. Simax or Pyrex is my preference.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2009-11-28 at 5:32pm.
Old 2009-11-29, 12:05pm
Enjoying Life!

What's the difference between Simax and Kimax (characteristically)?

~ SRA #T62
Old 2009-11-29, 12:46pm
GET YOUR BEAD ON!!!!

Thanks Lana - that gives me a place to start. I thought it might be 15 mm but didn't think to measure it until there was just a little lump left!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
I have varying diameter rods but the ones I use most are:
4 mm, 7 mm for just about everything and then 15 mm for implosions, and 27 mm heavy wall tubing for blown work.
That size tubing should work for you for ornaments and tube implosions. Simax or Pyrex is my preference.
Old 2009-11-29, 10:23pm
Lampworker

schott will react differently with the silver colors. makes NS ex light yellow look more blue when thin. makes exotics, blue carmels, blue moons, carnivals, etc have more of a halo glow to them. also fuming looks different. some people get some really great effects with schott you cant get with the others.

there is a thread somewhere showing the difference between them with BM in a pendant. think its on the melting pot in the color section???

some say the quality of simax is better, less seeds and air bubbles. and simax has a lot more sizes available. but schott is the only producer of 2mm, if you can find it.

its nice to have a all the sizes of rod 2-14mm or how ever large you fell comfy melting.
i would suggest 9, 12, 18, 26 heavy wall for handles and small projects, and 16,20, 26, 32 medium wall for projects.