Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-02-15, 8:51pm
Alaska Boro

Default Gold Fuming - Encasement?

Other threads indicated that a gold fumed boro bead will not stand up to wear. Should such a bead be made for sale or should it be encased to prevent any surface abrasion of the gold fumed coating?

Noticed a number of beads on Etsy that are sold non encased. Good idea or not?

This bead (14.73 mm OD x 8.75 mm thick on a 3/32 inch mandrel) has not been encased and all the gold is on the surface. How tough is the thin gold coating? Noticed a number of beads on Etsy that are sold non encased. Good idea or not?
Old 2011-02-15, 9:26pm
Borovangelist

I haven't done it myself, but from what I hear it will indeed wear off with time and fondling.

You can try encasing it, but may accidentally burn it off in the process. I could have sworn I heard of some folks putting a thin layer of lacquer over them to seal them, but I might be wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2011-02-16, 6:03am
Pyromaniac

I've done some near-opaque gold fume pieces, and I have to say that while it may rub off over time, it's on there pretty good. I make sure the surface of the glass is nice and hot when it receives the first coat of fume, and I 'cook it in' a little before I lay on my final coat(s) of fume as well. I've heard tell that laying down a light coat of silver fume may help the gold stick better as well but I haven't done that.

As always, YMMV, but the pieces I've made are holding up well despite all the fondling they receive from my delighted (and delightful) girlfriend. If you're selling them maybe an explanation that gold is a soft metal and the very thin layer on the surface of the glass may become damaged over time if care is not taken?

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-02-16, 2:36pm
ManBearPig

22k gold will stick better than 24k gold, although both will wear off over time.

Old 2011-02-18, 8:33am
Formerly Bakerman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
I haven't done it myself, but from what I hear it will indeed wear off with time and fondling.

You can try encasing it, but may accidentally burn it off in the process. I could have sworn I heard of some folks putting a thin layer of lacquer over them to seal them, but I might be wrong.
pretty awesome idea, dude.

and also..that bead is awesome. just clear? and gold fumed on top?

Old 2011-02-18, 5:53pm
Alaska Boro

Appreciate the comments. Looks like in the product description there will be a disclaimer as indicated. And just may have to make up a few for samples and see how they hold up.

The bead is made with Simax over a small black core. Then fumed on top. Without the back one ends up with a rose bead.
Old 2011-02-20, 12:39pm
boro color bender

string a few and throw them in your pocket for a few days...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2011-02-20, 3:42pm
Alaska Boro

Will burn a few and try the pocket test. Or even leave them there while in the washing machine!

Also a bead with a black core and then a twisty made from a paddle with gold fumed on one side and silver on the other makes for a most interesting spider web look.
Old 2011-02-21, 6:37am

just rub it with your fingers, you'll see the gold rub off. it needs to be encased and then you don't really get that sheen.
Old 2011-02-24, 7:18am

Default Gold fuming

All the gold fuming I've done is shows up pink, not gold.....same holds true with my instructor who taught me how to do it. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it the materials that we are using? I got my gold sheets from Wales.

I've been off my torch for the last 6 months due to traveling and mostly the winter weather. My set-up is in the unheated garage and this has been one heck of a cold winter.
Old 2011-02-24, 12:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eej713 View Post
All the gold fuming I've done is shows up pink, not gold.....same holds true with my instructor who taught me how to do it. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it the materials that we are using? I got my gold sheets from Wales.

I've been off my torch for the last 6 months due to traveling and mostly the winter weather. My set-up is in the unheated garage and this has been one heck of a cold winter.
depends on what color you are backing it with, and whether you are using an oxydizing or reducing flame to fume with. all of those will effect the color.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2011-02-25, 6:31am
Pyromaniac

To get a gold sheen like the picture I posted, I use a neutral to oxidizing flame and laid it on pretty thick. More on the oxy side than neutral but not real hissy. You can try laying a light silver fume down first too, I've heard that helps.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-02-28, 11:34am

I was told that you can fume with either 22kt or 24 kt gold both with diffrent effects but 24 wont stick as well unless u fume silver first then lay on the 24. I have fumed the outside of a couple pieces before with silver to see if it would work without having to open up the tube to fume it and close it up again. It looks cool but does rub off when handled
Old 2011-03-09, 1:29pm

I wonder if you could paint and fire a clear enamel over the bead. That way you would maybe be able to keep the gold metalic color. Anyone know if that's possible?
Old 2011-03-09, 3:56pm

I have seen some pieces done that way with the painted on stuff, and I think they look kind of cheap. Hopefully, you will have better results.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2011-03-10, 11:52am

Can you elaborate? Was the enamel scumming up, not very clear, crackling? I haven't experimented with enamel paints yet.
Old 2011-03-10, 3:13pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Bottom line - fume on about $1500 worth of gold and with that kind of thickness maybe it will last a lifetime.

Know why the bazillionaires' cars don't have gold motors? Gold (a metal) is not good for certain uses. Know why China is slowly and silently buying up the world's supply of gold? So that they can very heavily fume the pipes that they make, ship them over here, and turn us all into potheads.

Many years ago I made a male organ with gold balls. To get them gold I bought a bottle of 'liquid gold' from Wale that was made by Engelhard (I think that's the right name). I painted it on with a little brush and then annealed it and it came out shiny gold. I don't know how well it would hold up with alot of touching (not into 'pocket pool') but it's something you can try.

Last edited by gmkcpa; 2011-03-10 at 4:31pm. Reason: add additional comments
Old 2011-03-10, 4:14pm
geekitude on two wheels

That liquid gold stuff is the same as the porcelain/ceramics people use - hand wash only, blah blah, but still stands up to wear reasonalby well. That is if you fire it correctly, if you fire it too low it will rub off almost right away.