LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-10-14, 11:05pm
I know, I can't spell

Here is the link to crloo.com with the lausha tubbing. talks about sizes and weight and lengths.

http://www.crloo.com/Products/Lampwo...ss_tubing.html

Soon new stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-15, 12:48pm
giggety-giggety

Hi, I'm finally back (and only have a minute to post). Thanks for the info Candice. The reason I asked what length of tubing is needed is because I thought I would offer to send some out for people to try until they could find a source. I would just score and snap off lengths to send. The edges would be rough cut. I must forwarn anyone wanting any that things are EXTREMELY hectic in my life. Some days I'm on target with getting things checked off my "to do" list, and other times I wonder why I got out of bed. I'm also not set up with shipping supplies for this sort of thing. If I could cut lengths that could fit in a priority mail box I could rubber band a bunch of tubes together and wrap with bubble or paper. The largest tubing I have here in stock is 15mm clear. I'm guessing (until I hear if there is any interest or not) I could get at least 8-10 15mm clear tubes in each box provided by the Post Office (if I can get more in I will gladly add as much as I can up to the weight limit)). I have those available here already. The length would be approx. 8". Do you think this would be a useable length Candice-or do you have any suggestions for a good "right out of the box" starting length? Cost would be about 10-12 bucks (including shipping within the United States). Do you think that's a fair price Candice? Basically, I'm not out to make any money but want to cover my costs. Just an idea.

Candice, if you ever find yourself in Wisconsin please visit. I apprenticed with a guy in a nearby town almost 17 years ago and added neon to the little (one woman-me!) sign shop I had already created. I used to hand letter signs way back when. It's always been just me until a few years ago when my boyfriend joined forces and moved in with me. He worked at a sign shop in another town who subcontracted me to do a neon sign for them. Now we do digital printing, graphic design etc. When I would show up at job sites to install neon, customers always looked at me like "when is the neon guy gonna get here?" (like I was just the helper schlepping the tools in).

Hurry! Hurry! I want to play!

My etsy:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-15, 1:40pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmegirl View Post
Hi, I'm finally back (and only have a minute to post). Thanks for the info Candice. The reason I asked what length of tubing is needed is because I thought I would offer to send some out for people to try until they could find a source. I would just score and snap off lengths to send. The edges would be rough cut. I must forwarn anyone wanting any that things are EXTREMELY hectic in my life. Some days I'm on target with getting things checked off my "to do" list, and other times I wonder why I got out of bed. I'm also not set up with shipping supplies for this sort of thing. If I could cut lengths that could fit in a priority mail box I could rubber band a bunch of tubes together and wrap with bubble or paper. The largest tubing I have here in stock is 15mm clear. I'm guessing (until I hear if there is any interest or not) I could get at least 8-10 15mm clear tubes in each box provided by the Post Office (if I can get more in I will gladly add as much as I can up to the weight limit)). I have those available here already. The length would be approx. 8". Do you think this would be a useable length Candice-or do you have any suggestions for a good "right out of the box" starting length? Cost would be about 10-12 bucks (including shipping within the United States). Do you think that's a fair price Candice? Basically, I'm not out to make any money but want to cover my costs. Just an idea.

Candice, if you ever find yourself in Wisconsin please visit. I apprenticed with a guy in a nearby town almost 17 years ago and added neon to the little (one woman-me!) sign shop I had already created. I used to hand letter signs way back when. It's always been just me until a few years ago when my boyfriend joined forces and moved in with me. He worked at a sign shop in another town who subcontracted me to do a neon sign for them. Now we do digital printing, graphic design etc. When I would show up at job sites to install neon, customers always looked at me like "when is the neon guy gonna get here?" (like I was just the helper schlepping the tools in).

Ooooh Beth! I am very interested in getting some of this from you!!! Did I mention how VERY interested I am in getting some?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-15, 1:43pm
Oh No You Didn't!

I would be interested too.

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-10-15, 3:56pm
giggety-giggety

When I hear back from Candice about the ideal tubing length I'll do a "test" package to see how many tubes I actually can get in the Priority Mail Box. The flat rate fee is easiest for me...I wish I had the time to pack and weigh different quantities-maybe when things settle down here a bit I will. I think that cutting the ideal length right away is the best way to go. That way, when it arrives, you'd be able to get started. I can get larger diameter tubing too-just don't have it in stock right now. Candice is the expert-I'm just a girl who's as excited as everyone else to give it a whirl.
I'm going to send you a pm now Candice-no need to take up space with all my ramblings.
This may be putting the cart before the horse too...I don't mean to be jumping in here Candice. This is your thread, just thought if I have what people are looking for I would offer to help get people started.

My etsy:

Old 2008-10-15, 4:41pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Flat rate works for me - I might even want two if that is permissible

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-15, 5:52pm

ooooohhhhh me too. Please
Old 2008-10-15, 6:33pm
Chrissy

I'd be interested too Beth .... so please keep us posted......

Old 2008-10-15, 6:45pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmegirl View Post

I'm interested!

I took a class with Deborah Carlson where we used the neon tubing with BE frits and stringers so I would love to have some! I have two pieces of it and I haven't been able to find anyplace to purchase some more!

Can you get the 10mm tubes also?

Thanks!

Old 2008-10-15, 8:28pm
giggety-giggety

I've pm'd Candice and she thought 2 foot tubing would be the ideal length. Since the tutorial is still a work in progress I will do a little detective work on packaging supplies (preferably those provided by the Post Office for free) and try to give a couple cost estimates based on different amounts of glass ordered. I am more than happy to do this but have seen and read many a thread about people offering to do something with good intentions and then have it head south. I love it here and don't want people mad at me. I ship things from my website already (including neon signs) and have several sources for packaging material-I just need this to be streamlined for your happiness and my sanity. I guess if you would like me to keep you updated I can post my findings in this thread (unless I'm not supposed to) but also please pm me so I can keep a list. I'm thinking in the end I will have several choices (maybe a sample pack and then a package based on the size and amount of tubing you would like). To my knowledge the clear tubing is one flat rate per pound-you just get more tubing per pound of the smaller diameter. Make sense? I'll probably do payments through Paypal.

I stock the following tubing millimeters in clear but have access to ordering larger tubing. 5mm (teeny tiny-maybe fun for mini blown earrings?), 7mm (pendants?), 9mm, 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, and 15mm. Remember this isn't boro so isn't as durable when dropped. When I use this glass for my neon work it isn't shocky at all, melts like "butta" (unless the end wasn't scored right). I too use a file to score and snap for different lengths (9" bastard file).

My etsy:

Old 2008-10-15, 8:34pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I love the idea of the 5mm - I want to make some tiny earrings!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-15, 8:35pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I sent you a PM, Beth! Thank you so much for even considering doing this!

Old 2008-10-16, 5:27am
Run Free Sweet Boy

HI Folks,

Sorry I dropped the ball for a couple of days. I have been flat on my back in bed. I have some major spine issues that get the best of me at times. Usually when I have the most to accomplish. grrr. Ok Whinning done....

Beth you are such a sweetie to offer to send supplies to folks. and I by no means"own" this thread. I didnt start it, I just jumped in saying I was doing a tutorial. Being territorial is not something that even occurs to me. This about us all learning and playing and growing in glass. I always welcome info from anyone, and its wonderful to see folks being so generous in offering sources for supplies etc.

From my lips to gods ears, I will get the last of the photos shot today. I have to make each item multiple times and the person taking the pics often has to try and capture a shot for the tutorial at a place in time that I cant stop and pause. Its not easy.

I have several of the sections of the tutorial finished and ready, and am working like a crazed woman on the rest. I am still really hurting right now, so I cant promise I will get more pics posted tonight, but I will over the weekend... I promise. I wil do the finished individual pics and group shots over the weekend as well.. thats the plan anyway... as long as my back cooperates. Between exisiting spine issues and doing physical therapy twice a week for a frozen shoulder.... I am not at the top of my game right now, and aplologize for not posting more pics etc in a timely fashion.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2008-10-16, 5:40am
Run Free Sweet Boy

Hey Beth,

I just had a thought for you.... You mentioned 5mm tubing. I played around with 5mm and a ribbon burner and made some non traditional, funky ornaments with 5mm. I started with the standard 4 ft stick and heated and twisted the 5mm up into a ball of randome squiggles. Then made a hook with the end. It has a sort of birdsnest look to it.

Squid.... 5mm is a bugger to control and blow in an oxy type torch, you might have better luck with 6 or 7mm. My best hint at working soft glass in an oxy torch is to work under the flame, with it just grazing the top of the tube. You will get beter control that way. I used to make little mustard seed pendants. I would gather a small ball on the end of a tube and blow a little round bubble. after it cooled I would drop in a mustard seed and then VERY carefully heat the neck area and pull it off. I would glue little bell caps onto the "tail" to finsih the pendant. This might be a good solution to you wanting to make tiny blown earings.

Candice

Old 2008-10-16, 6:12am
Does it come in Purple???

Beautiful work Candice. I can't wait for your tut

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2008-10-16, 7:45am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by patienthand View Post
Hey Beth,

I just had a thought for you.... You mentioned 5mm tubing. I played around with 5mm and a ribbon burner and made some non traditional, funky ornaments with 5mm. I started with the standard 4 ft stick and heated and twisted the 5mm up into a ball of randome squiggles. Then made a hook with the end. It has a sort of birdsnest look to it.

Squid.... 5mm is a bugger to control and blow in an oxy type torch, you might have better luck with 6 or 7mm. My best hint at working soft glass in an oxy torch is to work under the flame, with it just grazing the top of the tube. You will get beter control that way. I used to make little mustard seed pendants. I would gather a small ball on the end of a tube and blow a little round bubble. after it cooled I would drop in a mustard seed and then VERY carefully heat the neck area and pull it off. I would glue little bell caps onto the "tail" to finsih the pendant. This might be a good solution to you wanting to make tiny blown earings.

Candice
That sounds REALLY cool!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-16, 8:23am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

I purchased (last year) the pointed tubing during a class at The Vinery in Madison, WI with Cindy Palmer....it was great! Cindy's ornaments were fabulous, and even though I've got about 7-8 yrs flamework experience, I just can't get the hang of these....mine are VERY deformed and STRANGE....but I know that Denny at The Vinery sells/ships....might take a look at what he has - think they are Lauscha pointed tubes.

Old 2008-10-16, 9:12am
Butterfly Rancher

Beth, I PM'd about being added to the tubing list.

And I can't wait to see Candice's tutorial!

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2008-10-16, 9:12am

I have boro tubing and waiting for my m15 concentrator. Just waiting for it to come. Yes I want to get this tut also. How awesome. Beautiful ornaments.

Rose Leslie
Old 2008-10-16, 1:57pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

Default a few pics from today

Old 2008-10-16, 3:08pm
Tinder Bloom Studio

Oh drool... the middle one is TDF!!

Old 2008-10-16, 3:15pm

i can't wait to get this, its looking great so far...love the pics!

Old 2008-10-16, 3:35pm
I speak Murrini!

OMG, you're killing me - this pictures look wonderful!!!

I scanned through the thread - not sure if I missed something...I'm looking for a source for 104 HOLLOW CLEAR TUBE. I only work in 104, and I think the current "offer" for clear tubing is 90, right?

In any case, any help pointing (pushing, shoving!!!) me in the right direction to be able to buy some and be ready for this tutorial would be wonderful!!!!!!

HELP, please!!!!

De in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2008-10-16 at 4:48pm.
Old 2008-10-16, 3:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
OMG, you're killing me - this pictures look wonderful!!!

I scanned through the thread - not sure if I missed something...I'm looking for a source for 104 HOLLOW CLEAR TUBE. I only work in 104, and I think the current "offer" for clear tubing is 96, right?

In any case, any help pointing (pushing, shoving!!!) me in the right direction to be able to buy some and be ready for this tutorial would be wonderful!!!!!!

HELP, please!!!!

De in CA
here is for 104 tubing- http://www.crloo.com/Products/Lampwo...ss_tubing.html

Old 2008-10-16, 4:00pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Just to clarify - the current offer is for 90 coe I believe.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-16, 4:06pm

OMG ... I'm sooo excited!!! I've wanted to do these for years. Have Glasboken and like someone (sorry can't remember who) said in earlier post ... you just get them to where you want them and then POOF ... blowout and droopy.

Oh, I can't wait for the ornament tutorial ... I do icicles all the time ... no biggy for me ... but ornaments ... oooohhh get goosebumps!!!

Candice your pink ornament is GORGEOUS ... can't wait to get the tut. Hopefully this crappy computer isn't gonna quit on me.

Have the bullseye ... need the tubing

Old 2008-10-16, 4:30pm
Dead man walking

Don't forget you can coilpot your 104 to make your own tube or do a blow out from a mass of glass so you can start experimenting today
Old 2008-10-16, 4:49pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradesbears View Post
Thank You!!!

De

PS - I think I made a boo-boo...edited my post but it's still wrong in what you quoted...corrected to read that the current offer in this thread is for 90 COE clear tube. Thanks Squid!!!

Old 2008-10-16, 4:49pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Just to clarify - the current offer is for 90 coe I believe.
Thank you!

De

Old 2008-10-16, 5:18pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjglass View Post
Don't forget you can coilpot your 104 to make your own tube or do a blow out from a mass of glass so you can start experimenting today
That sounds just a smidge over my head

DOG is my co-pilot