LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-08-23, 12:52pm
Detail G-Mama!

Wonderful thimbles y'all!! The doll is soooo cute!! I get to add to this thread now!
I have made 2 thimbles now. I made the chintz one first! I'm kinda likin it! Today I made a "endcap" and it's in the kiln, I'll show that tomorrow.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-08-24, 5:19am
Who me?

Yunita, that is so original and I love the peacock eye look around the bottom of her skirt.

Margriet, I have forgotten to add the dimples too.

Anne, can't wait to see your bead cap - please post - I love the chintz thimble.
Old 2008-08-24, 6:13am
BeadsonCypress

Ross at ABR sells all stainless steel frogs also....a little more expensive though! Saw them at beadfest. Sludge plus is the key for me!! and Linda is sooooo nice! ps. package on the way Monday!! Susan

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2008-08-24, 6:24am

thanks for all the info. I just bought 2 mandrels can't wait to try these. Everyone your work is just beautiful. What a great inspiration! Barb
Old 2008-08-24, 9:12am

I just bought two mandrels too. These are wonderful thimbles!
Old 2008-08-24, 9:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubnavnania View Post
This is what I made from the thimbles mandrel:

WOW! This is the most incredible sweetest cutest idea! Thanks for sharing it!
Your thimble bead is adorable and beautiful!

Carol
Old 2008-08-24, 9:21am

I just now saw your beautiful thimbles, Anne, they are beautiful as well, you are all just taking my breath away here!
Old 2008-08-24, 9:27am

and.......I must say Helen, yours is just wonderful, I love it! I'm so inspired by you all.
Old 2008-08-24, 10:47am
Detail G-Mama!

Here is the bead cap/cone that I made, need to work on my ends next time! The top is open so that you can use it as a focal in a necklace. All I used was ivory for the base and black pearl for the scrollwork. Love that stuff!
Attached Images

Old 2008-08-24, 2:43pm
Who me?

Hooked on Glass and robinh - your mandrels are on their way - have fun with them and be sure to show and tell.

Susan, thanks so much.

Anne, that's one awesome bead cap - love the crackle in the ivory.

I'm loving what everyone is doing.
Old 2008-08-25, 10:38am

I've shown both of these before, haven't taken pictures of the newer ones.
Old 2008-08-25, 11:27am

Those are wonderful. I have been messing around with them for a little while. You are all doing a great job.

Rose Leslie
Old 2008-08-26, 3:31pm

Ok, I tried again last night but soon after I started the bead release broke. I put the whole thing into water.

I was determined, though and put new bead release on it which is fairly thin and flame dried it. The bead release broke at the bottom and mixed in with the white glass but I just continued on like it hadn't and made a white thimble. It has a jagged edge at the bottom even though I used that one trick of pushing the glass down by scoring the glass all the way around about an eighth of an inch above the edge. I thought for sure that the glass would stick to the mandrel and I would have to use the flame to pop it off today. Nope, it came right off. That says a lot for the Foster Fire Smooth and Tuff bead release.

I made my bead release even thinner today and hope to try again and getting far enough to decorate this time.

When I learn how to use this one well, I would like to order at least one more.
Old 2008-08-27, 12:37am
Beadmaking.nl

Wow, there are all so beautiful. You people are so inspiring!!!!!

Old 2008-08-27, 4:09am

Carol are you getting the bead release red hot everywhere before you start? It really does make a difference in the bead release not releasing prematurely!

Lynne

and if you can't get a thimble off hold the thimble loosely in your hand then hit something with the non thimble end like your drumming the thimble will just fall off into your hand!

Send me an email or a PM
I answer everything, any excuse not to do something useful!
Old 2008-08-27, 4:47am
Detail G-Mama!

I found out that I had to let my release dry overnight. I was too impaitient so I flame dried mine and it cracked almost immediately in the flame!

Old 2008-08-27, 6:15am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandgirl View Post
Carol are you getting the bead release red hot everywhere before you start? It really does make a difference in the bead release not releasing prematurely!

Lynne

and if you can't get a thimble off hold the thimble loosely in your hand then hit something with the non thimble end like your drumming the thimble will just fall off into your hand!

Wow, that's great advice - thanks for the tip.
Old 2008-08-29, 6:06pm

Oh, no I wasn't getting the bead release red hot. I thought that was something that makes bead release break. I'll try again and stick the mandrel right into the flame and get it red hot. I was making sure it was really really hot first, but was not getting the bead release red hot all over.

thank you, Lynne

thank you also for the advice about getting the thimble off if it does stick.
Old 2008-08-30, 4:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadDesignsByCarol View Post
Oh, no I wasn't getting the bead release red hot. I thought that was something that makes bead release break. I'll try again and stick the mandrel right into the flame and get it red hot. I was making sure it was really really hot first, but was not getting the bead release red hot all over.

thank you, Lynne

thank you also for the advice about getting the thimble off if it does stick.
My last one the bead release was already cracked before I even started and it held together for the entire thimble after I got it red hot but I'm also certain that the cracks were why I had to use the drumming trick to get it to release! I wrecked a couple of thimbles before Linda posted the trick about getting the release red hot!

Lynne

Send me an email or a PM
I answer everything, any excuse not to do something useful!
Old 2008-08-30, 10:36am

Any one tried to clean the inside of the thimble? It is a pita to do. Love the thimbles though.

Rose Leslie
Old 2008-08-30, 11:29pm
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Leslie View Post
Any one tried to clean the inside of the thimble? It is a pita to do. Love the thimbles though.
I found that if you use the dremel tools similar to the ones in the tip sheet, the cleaning goes pretty fast.
Old 2008-08-31, 5:54am
BeadsonCypress

I found Sludge Plus and a diamond bit on my dremel is the answer......For me Smooth and Tough was not...

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2008-09-21, 4:36am
Spectrum rulz

Default Thimble Mandrels

I've finally taken some pics. I did a bulk buy for the girls in Aus and we are loving them. The 1 with flowers I sold to a collector on Saturday at the markets.
Attached Images

Old 2008-09-21, 5:40am
Detail G-Mama!

Beautiful! Love the flower one!

Old 2008-09-21, 5:25pm

here are a couple more thimbles i finally got some pictures of. i have switched over to the blue sludge and i like it better then the black. i think it holds on to the mandrel better. it is also doing better on my cabachon mandrels.
if any of you are selling your thimbles how are you doing it. how are you getting the word out they are there. i have started an etsy page but since there are no thimble categories under glass no one may know they are there unless specifically asked for. who would go to etsy and ask for glass thimbles. i have tried to get the word out but it is slow. i have tried thimble sites but there aren't really many who do anything.

here is my etsy page, karen meyer.etsy.com, please have a look. let me know if you have any input. thanks
karen m

karenmeyer.etsy.com
Old 2008-09-21, 5:45pm

Lets see if I have any thimbles that I saved in my photos. These are the first three that I have done. I really like doing them. Yes I agree about letting the bead release dry over night before working with the mandrel for the thimbles.
Attached Images

Rose Leslie
Old 2008-09-21, 6:28pm
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouveau Glass Works View Post
if any of you are selling your thimbles how are you doing it. how are you getting the word out they are there. i have started an etsy page but since there are no thimble categories under glass no one may know they are there unless specifically asked for. who would go to etsy and ask for glass thimbles. i have tried to get the word out but it is slow. i have tried thimble sites but there aren't really many who do anything.
Karen, try your local quilt shops and galleries. Awesome thimbles!
Old 2009-05-09, 2:36pm

I had to chime in on these awesome mandrels! Heres some picture of the last batch I made for a local quilt shop. I think I might have to buy more mandrels! I use bucket of mud release, and it then use steel brillo wadded up to clean the inside of the thimble. It cleans up great, even on dark colors!
Attached Images

Old 2009-05-10, 10:32am
Lover of Life

I'm so glad this thread was resurrected. I really love thimbles, and I have made a few of them. There are some beauties in this thread, thanks everyone for sharing! Birdsonawire, your presentation cards are divine. What a great idea!

I'm going to show a few now. Sorry for the superhuge pix, but I'm too lazy to change all of them.

Linda, thanks so much for this amazing tool!

Becky

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2009-10-23, 6:02pm

I am a thimble collector! I absolutely love this idea! Y'all are great!