Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2015-04-15, 10:43am
flight risk

Default need artist help- ploymer clay?

Good afternoon!

The backstory: I recently did a presentation on lampworking at my kids' school, and talked about the Beads of Courage program and the beads that I've made for them. I met a first grader who has been through the program (and is in remission- yay!) but he was shy and we didn't talk much. His mom contacted me later about wanting to have his chemo port turned into a bead for his bead strand. It's an important piece of his treatment, and she doesn't want it lost in the depths of some drawer.

The port is titanium with a silicon dome. (I think she would be OK with removing the silicon) I've done some research, and don't think I can use hot glass to turn this into a bead. Between compatibility issues and the hardness of the titanium, I'm not sure what would work best... She said it reminded her of Iron Man's power source, so I think something inspired by that would be nice. I know many of you work in many different media (I was thinking polymer clay?), if anyone is interested in taking on this project let me know and I'll put you in contact with the mom.

Here's a photo of the port:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-04-15, 11:03am
Loving learning

The only other thing I can think of is to do a really big hole bead that this could fit into the hole, or an off mandrel piece it could be glued to maybe?
Old 2015-04-15, 2:19pm
MacGalver

If it's titanium, someone who is set up for anodizing reactive metals could probably color it for you ~ that would be super cool! Also, it kind of looks like there are 3 holes in the dome~ could they be used to wire something onto or into the dome? Can we see it from another angle?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-04-19, 5:29pm
MacGalver

Found this site that talks specifically about the challenges of anodizing medical devices:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2015-04-28, 5:31am

You could drill a 3/32 hole in the silicone insert or remove it and replace it with polymer clay and drill a hole in that. I don't think that you'll have a lot of luck encasing it in glass even with the silicone removed.
Robert
Old 2015-04-28, 5:34am
Run Free Sweet Boy

that dome shape screams a chest shield on an action figure. polymer would be awesome for that use. In my minds eye I see an action figure with his arms raised, and each hand could have a hole through the grip and hang from the strand.

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2015-04-28, 6:59am
Biscuit Lover

I have only used polymer clay once, but if nobody else has agreed to do this yet, I would be happy to give it a go.

Or you could try putting this request on facebook.