Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-08-24, 2:32pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Default List of torches that will run on household NG pressures?

Is there a comprehensive list out there somewhere that indicates all the torches currently available on the market that will run on household NG pressures?

I know there's the Minor and the Betta. Are there any others?

Cheers!

-Yee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-08-24, 7:18pm
PyronamixK

In addition to the Minor and the Betta, the Bobcat, Piranha, and the MiniCC all run on NG at household pressure (typically 1/4 psi). The Knight Little Dragon probably can, as well.
Old 2006-08-24, 11:58pm

Does anyone know if a National will? I just assumed they all do
Lori
Old 2006-08-25, 12:55am
I'm a lilac!

You can also run inner and outer on a Barracuda, but it's a little weak. It makes for PRETTY boro colors, though! I did that for a while and then switched back to propane so I could reduce stuff. I really couldn't get the hang of a decent reducing flame with NG on my 'cuda.

Old 2006-08-25, 3:34am
Certified Glassaholic!

Sweet! Thanks everyone

I guess there's been a bit of controversy over which torches and what they can do.

I've heard conflicting things about the Piranha on household NG i.e. pressure should be 2lbs instead of the 1/4lb and getting the pressure boosted is not an option for me. Even the technical docs on the Bethlehem site state 3-5lbs for gas for the Piranha.

I've contacted Bethlehem for a definite answer but I wish there was a straightforward way to know for sure

Thanks again!

-Yee

Old 2006-08-26, 9:17pm

The Lucio torch will run on standard household presure.

Old 2006-08-28, 7:47am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead crazy
Does anyone know if a National will? I just assumed they all do
Lori
I ran a National 8m with SM 7 tip (surface mix) on about 1/3 psi of propane - Equivalant to natural gas pressure so I believe it will be ok....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-08-29, 6:17am
boro color bender

While alot of torches will "run" on household NG pressure, the Betta is the only torch I know of that will get a driving flame at that pressure. It's designed different.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-08-29, 7:53am

Wouldn't mind trying one out sometime. Will it run on 2 concentrators well?

Old 2006-08-30, 1:33am
boro color bender

Ellen, it will run on two 5 LPM machines beautifully.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-08-30, 4:04am
Certified Glassaholic!

How's it on one 5LPM oxycon? Or is having 2 optimal?

-Yee

Old 2006-08-30, 5:54am
boro color bender

Yee, I'll turn my flow down and see. It will run on low pressures, but really needs the volume to get the most out of it. I'll be back with my test results.

Old 2006-08-30, 6:58am

I'll be real curious about one concentrator, so far there isn't any torch that runs really well on just one 5 LPM.

Old 2006-09-12, 9:51am
The Venerable Bead

the midrange works with household ng pressure I run mine with 2 oxycons

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2006-09-12, 10:37am

The Mini CC runs well on NG and I think the Lucio Burner was designed just for NG.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-09-24, 2:37am
Princess Odd . . . lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
Yee, I'll turn my flow down and see. It will run on low pressures, but really needs the volume to get the most out of it. I'll be back with my test results.
I'll be very interested to hear the answer to this as well. I'm still deciding between a betta, bobcat and minor and will have NG and probably only one oxycon to start. The betta sounds great, but may be a little out of my price range . . .

Has anyone run the bobcat or minor on NG and one oxycon that could let me know what they thought?
Old 2006-09-24, 5:00am
Certified Glassaholic!

MJ:

I work on Minor with one oxycon on NG and it works fine for soft glass. Probably a little slow for boro which is why I'm wanting to go to two oxycons for that

-Yee

Old 2006-09-24, 5:46am
Just Plain

I'm also on a minor/NG/one oxycon and it's perfect for soft glass.

Old 2006-09-27, 1:32pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Black
I'll be real curious about one concentrator, so far there isn't any torch that runs really well on just one 5 LPM.
Actually, most of the smaller torches run just fine on one oxycon for soft glass. Heck, I even ran my Cheetah on 1 just to see how it would do. Working boro on one oxycon seems to be the issue.