Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-04-14, 11:03am
birdergirl ~o~

Cool Once you "do Boro" you never go back????

WHY, why, why???!!
Tell me about it's evil lure and lore!
I want to know all...,
before Sue from Maine or Pipyr trick me into trying it!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2007-04-14, 12:30pm
The Venerable Bead

the pace is slower
the colors are more dreamy, muted, and ethereal.
a little color goes a long way
less thermal shock
alot of science and experimentation is required
opening the kiln is like christmas morning every day
you will want to jump inside your boro pieces and live there forever.
hard glass is edgy and edgy is cool

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2007-04-14, 12:41pm
birdergirl ~o~

The pace is slower ?? I'm on a HH can it get much slower?
It's good for sculpted pieces?

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Old 2007-04-14, 1:38pm
The Venerable Bead

are you going to try boro on your HH? oh dear I guess it can get much slower. You might find that extremely frustrating. maybe it's time for an upgrade?
yes boro is very good for off mandrel and sculptural pieces

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2007-04-14, 1:43pm
birdergirl ~o~

no, no to going to try on my HH!!
I just have general questions about boro for "later" ( maybe !!)

Old 2007-04-14, 1:54pm
Save the Numbats

I've heard of more people going to boro from soft glass than I have from soft glass to boro.. but percentage wise? i can't say there are statistics. Each glass has it's allure. Somewhere around here is a large thread The Smiley started about 'Why do you Like Boro?" or something like that.

Overall I like boro because of it's durability in the flame and muted colors. Now that there is more availability of changeable, ploychromatic colors in soft glass, the difference seems less distinct. Still i like how boro clear works, for instance. So many soft glass colors go boily and all weird with extended flame time... lots don't too, of course. I probably just don't know enough about soft glass and use boro because it's what i have the equipment and experience for.

I also like the color range - when I go by a paint display, my favorite are the tint and desaturated colors. My next favorite are the bright orange, peaches and ambers. This suits the glass very well! I also turn down my TV color saturation to look like 1962 color film. Maybe that's why I like boro?

The various glasses pretty much melt and work the same, with minor equipment and method modifications. If tomorrow I had to work only soft glass, it wouldn't be a personal tragedy.

A hot head kind of melts soft glass like a minor melts boro. A Lynx can't quite melt boro like a minor can melt soft glass, but it's more in that direction. So you are already having a more 'boro like' experience, as far as the pace of melting, on a hot head than you would be with soft glass on a minor. One big difference, too, is how fast the glass stiffens up. Simax and Duran seem to stay soft a little longer than Pyrex and Kimax, but either way it's only 5-10 seconds instead of 20 or 40.

Last edited by Juln; 2007-04-14 at 1:56pm.
Old 2007-04-14, 1:56pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Everything Paula said.
HOWEVER, I still go back and forth. I'm a whore for presses, and frankly, the
boro takes too long to melt for the larger ones. Sometimes I long for the
simpleness of soft glass (blue = blue, red = red) as opposed to boro
(Clear light yellow = pink OR red OR Dark purple - who the hell knows....god help
you if you mix up your boro rods).
Then I break out the soft glass and play and have a really good time.

...and honestly - having worked in boro, I am a MUCH better soft glass worker.
I can learn the techniques in boro at a much slower pace, and not worry about
the glass cracking or getting goopy. Then, after I know all the steps, I can
transfer the info over to the soft glass side, and get a whole new look!

Don't fret your pretty head...you can play for both teams. Just because you
start using boro - doesn't mean that soft glass is off limits or even undesireable.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-04-14, 2:33pm
Satake Woman!

You can use both kinds of glass, just not at the same time. I do pretty much everything from Boro to Satake.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2007-04-14, 2:41pm
Serenity Now!

There's just nothing that comes close to boro - it's magical and mystical, wondrous and wicked, desirable and decadent, frustrating and fantastic, oh I could go on and on...Just one taste'll be all you need...

(Hold on a second: isn't there a story like that...involves an apple...)

Check out the thread "Ode to Boro" for our combined-effort tribute to it's magic and allure...

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:

Last edited by Over the Moon; 2007-04-14 at 2:43pm. Reason: Sp - SA
Old 2007-04-14, 3:06pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the Moon View Post
There's just nothing that comes close to boro - it's magical and mystical, wondrous and wicked, desirable and decadent, frustrating and fantastic, oh I could go on and on...Just one taste'll be all you need...
Jeeze Val, get a room....
Ya big boro slut....

(you know I love ya honey....)

Old 2007-04-14, 5:32pm
Serenity Now!

I'm a Bo-Ho, and lovin' it more and more each and every single day...
There just ain't no love like it - nothin' even close...

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2007-04-14, 7:27pm
birdergirl ~o~

LOL, I'll check out those other posts!

Old 2007-04-14, 7:34pm
Boro Brat

Awwwwwwwww, 'cmon sally!! You know you wanna play with it! Upgrade that torch and get goin! Allllllll the cool kids are doing it! Don't you hear it calling you?? "saaaaaally...saaaaaaaallllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy yyy!!"

Old 2007-04-14, 9:30pm
da General

I tried Boro, love it but still work with soft glass . . . then again I love all glass, 104, 96, 90, boro . . . satake is next I think!

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-04-14, 9:41pm

The only reason I like boro is because I started with soft glass and I'm really really terrible with it. Boro makes me look talented, soft glass makes me cry.

But I do want to try satake, maybe I'll swap boro lessons for satake lessons....with help maybe there will be less tears.

Old 2007-04-14, 9:59pm
Trying to Hope!

I love the colors and the no thermal shock for the most part the stiffness really works in my favor and man its just plain fun. I got so frustrated with soft glass all the time with boro if it doesnt work i just try again

I guess if its the glass for you it will tell you the first bead you make. I never cleaned my soft glass beads just threw them in a jar and figured ehh ohh well. my first boro bead is still on my keychain in all it unstruck wonky looking glory and I couldntr wait to get it out of the kiln. That told me I wanted boro. I still havent learned all the tips and tricks i doubt i ever will but its soooo much fun to try.

try it along with all the others coes you will know when you find the right glass for you. Have fun

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2007-04-14, 10:09pm
Skeptical Optimist

Cadia it is wonderful... Not getting the glass popping onto you, having to preheat rods. Boro doesn't get all liquidy and the colors are wonderful. I am in love with boro, and sculpture is my favorite right now. Soft glass just doesn't cut it for sculpture for me. Good luck, and COME TO THE DARKSIDE!!!

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2007-04-14, 10:11pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeMoss View Post
The only reason I like boro is because I started with soft glass and I'm really really terrible with it. Boro makes me look talented, soft glass makes me cry.
But I do want to try satake, maybe I'll swap boro lessons for satake
lessons....with help maybe there will be less tears.
Here honey, I'll give you your first Satake lesson - won't even cost you.

Go to the fridge and take out the butter. Cut the square into slices
roughly the size of rods. Now take those over to your torch and make a
bead out of them.

....yeah - laugh, but wait till you try it for the first time....

AND don't make the mistake of the wrong kiln temp. I annealed some
beads for a friend of mine. Found out half of them were Satake when
I had to dig them out of my kiln. Whoopsies......

Old 2007-04-14, 11:55pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

I love it for marbles. i have tried soft glass marbles and they seem to me almost impossible!
For pendants its great to!

I pulled out my hothead and a short of orange boro once just to see if it could be done. I was able to soften the boro enough to get it wrapped around a mandrel but that was it there wasn't enough heat to be able to shape it at all. (and it boiled the orange , just goes to show how easy crayon colours boil!)
Old 2007-04-15, 6:21am
It's about time!

Oh Sally, they corrupted you too?!?!?! I just got my 2# from Mr. Smiley and can't wait .... I may not have power in the house this week but damn, I have a torch and I'm going to use it!! Sonje
Old 2007-04-15, 6:26am

i use all glass depending on the application. for beads soft glass is better, moves freely, easy to add detail and manipulate, cant for the life of me understand boro beads, yes colors are cool to manipulate but so hard to do beads with, i dont make many beads and if they are sculptural beads soda lime hands down. sometimes for color choices i use soda lime, for durability boro, for sculpture that i want to add a lot of detail to, like clothing etc soda lime is easier to work with. for larger sculpture that will have lots of things added to it, boro usually for its ability to air cool and reheat without much issue. so for me its not about using only one or the other but what works best for the specific project.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-04-15, 8:16am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I switch back and forth all the time...but I do have to say, reichenbach can not be encased with kimax... that's what you get when you don't clean up after doing the big switch again.

Honoustly, I couldn't choose between soft and hard glass, I love em both equally

Old 2007-04-15, 8:19am
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmaw View Post
You can use both kinds of glass, just not at the same time. I do pretty much everything from Boro to Satake.
me too!
isn't it awesome to have so many choices?!
But I gotta say that boro is just sexy baby!
and when the color reactions work, you feel like you are the conqueror of the universe!

nagi

Old 2007-04-15, 10:17am
birdergirl ~o~

Lol Not ready to stick my finger in the Boro fire yet Pipyr - Just looking ahead I still have lots to learn on my lowly HH!!

Old 2007-04-15, 12:37pm

Sally, you might as well give in to boro - it's wonderful! I worked with soft glass for a year and a half and managed to make some really organic looking beads - with boro, mmmmmm - I make really pretty beads - now I struggle to make "organic" looking beads. You won't be sorry if you try it. But get some real heat first!
Let us know how you like it.

the other Sally
Old 2007-04-16, 11:19am
Mandrel Slayer

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
I switch back and forth all the time...but I do have to say, reichenbach can not be encased with kimax... that's what you get when you don't clean up after doing the big switch again.

Honoustly, I couldn't choose between soft and hard glass, I love em both equally

...and Northstar can't be encased with Lauscha... that's the other thing that happens when you don't clean up when swithcing. Interesting crack pattern though before going in the trash.