Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Old 2008-02-08, 9:37pm

Default Computing cost of kiln use

I am trying to figure out the cost of running my kiln.
I have an Arrow Springs AF-99.
I think it is around 1680 watts. Divide by 1000 = 1.68 kilowatts
1.68 kilowatts times 8 hours = 13.44 kw/h
My electric rate = $ .0073 kw/h
So my daily usage would be approximately $.098 a day?
That is 10 cents a day?
That seems low to me.
Is this right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-02-09, 10:06am
Gentleman of Leisure

Yes you numbers are good.. as you have worked them out...

Actually cost maybe less.... You have to actually record "on" time when kiln in actually drawing power to heat elements during run up process to what ever temp you are holding at, kiln may cycle and be OFF 30-40% of "time"while climbing to anneal/garaging temperatures. Once kiln has reached hold temperature kiln may actually be "off" as much as 60-70% of "time" ...

If you have pilot lamp that flashes off/on as relay energizes elements you will see it may be actually see it may be off more than it is on...

Disclaimer here is your on/off time will vary according to program and kiln efficiencies...

You may actually be spending less that you have calculated... To really prove this though you need a "chart recorder" or some other "time recorder" to actually log time kiln is "on" vs. how long "kiln hours" are from time you start a anneal cycle to when cycle ends and kiln is off for the day...

OF course this is excluding the power drawn by controller which is so minor that it may cost you 10¢ a month if controller runs a full kiln cycle every day of the month...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-02-09 at 10:11am.
Old 2008-02-09, 10:20am

Thanks for the reply Dale.
I had figured it was really only on 3/4 of the time and that 8 hours was a high estimate.

Old 2008-02-10, 10:56am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami View Post
That is 10 cents a day?
That seems low to me.
Is this right?
As others have mentioned, your kiln is drawing power less then half the time it's on.....BUT....it appears you have misplaced a decimal point in your electric rate. If you're paying .0072 you're getting the cheapest electricity anywhere in your country. I suspect you should be calculating at .072/kwhr.

My figures for your use are:
1.68 kw x 8 hr x 40% = 5.38 kw x $ .072/kwhr = 38.7 cents a day.

It's early and I'm still on my first cup of coffee so I wouldn't bet big bucks on my calculations. Maybe somebody else can check?

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-02-10, 8:04pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Dennis...

I think you may be right on decimal point...

Just looked at my electric bill and I'm at $0.114 per kw/h ( Central Calif.).... So $0.073 is probable a more reliable rate for Jami...

Dale

Old 2008-02-10, 8:32pm

No, unbelievably, the rate is right.
http://www.kcpl.com/about/ECA_KS2008.html

Old 2008-02-10, 8:58pm
<--- Time traveler

I'm wondering if they have it wrong on their web site? I mean, great for you if they don't! But here in Rock Hill, SC our standard residential rate is $0.08944 per kwh.
Old 2008-02-10, 10:23pm

I just checked my last months bill and I paid .00682

Old 2008-02-10, 10:33pm

YAY KC here we come.
G.
Old 2008-02-10, 10:44pm
<--- Time traveler

Yeah, any houses for sale in your neck of the woods?
Old 2008-02-10, 10:54pm

Yea! Come on to tornado alley!!
We can set up a glass commune!

Old 2008-02-10, 11:02pm
<--- Time traveler

Hmmm, on second thought, maybe not! As an aside, I was reminded how hilly my area is (relatively speaking) until I went to KCMO for the Gathering. It also reminded me of when I drove to Indianapolis for the Indy 500 about ten years ago. Everything looked so vulnerable to me, like it was waiting to be taken out. My friend, who was from Indy, said being in my area (Columbia, SC at the time) made him feel claustrophobic, like everything was rising up around him. But when I was in his neck of the woods I wanted to lean against something for support!

Pretty much the only tornadoes I've lived through were thrown off by hurricanes (like Hugo), although a "rogue" tornado did take out our last drive-in theatre in the early '70s. For some reason, a tornado by itself scares me more than a hurricane. Maybe because you know a hurricane is coming well in advance...
Old 2008-02-10, 11:56pm

Yea, I get scared in the mountains cause I think I'm going to fall off!
There is no fear quite as primal and encompassing as a tornado.
I've had two very close calls in my 40 some years and hope that is all I have!

Old 2008-02-11, 10:05am

On another tandem, I'm getting a M-15 soon and I figure:
600 watts = .6 kw x 8 hours = 4.8 kw/h x .0073 = $.04 a day (rounded up)

Old 2008-02-11, 10:23am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
I just checked my last months bill and I paid .00682
If your electricity rate was that low, your bill for an entire year (even with full electric heat all winter and extensive air conditioning all summer) would be about $300 (less then $30/month).

If you are paying .0682/kwhr, you're getting the cheapest electricity in the USA. I believe your .00682 figure is per 100 watts. Even power companies buying from other power companies pay more then .00682/kilo watt hour.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-02-11, 10:55am

Hi Jami, You know, I just checked my electric bill and we are paying 3.405 cents per kwh - that's .03405. The estimated cost of my kiln use per day by a master electrician is approximately 10 cents. I don't find your estimate to be far off at all. My kiln is generally "on" for 8 hrs. a day - same kiln, by the way.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2008-02-11, 11:11am

Anyone have a clue what the wattage use for the AIM Kilns model 84BD is? I think I'd like to know how much my kiln is running me too. I just can't seem to find the info anywhere.
Old 2008-02-11, 11:17am
Gentleman of Leisure

Should be on the "nomenclature tag" on the kiln.... Most appliances have some sort if "tag" stating voltage and watts and model numbers...

Dale

Old 2008-02-11, 11:38am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Anyone have a clue what the wattage use for the AIM Kilns model 84BD is? I think I'd like to know how much my kiln is running me too. I just can't seem to find the info anywhere.
The AIM 84BD is 1680 watts (14 amps x 120 volts)

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-02-11, 11:44am

Okay, I think Dale is right.
The chart link to the rates I posted are ECA rates which is an additional fee KCPL charges. Their website lacks actual rate information and so does my bill.
I took my current bill and divided the kWh used by the energy charge which turned out to be .0700 per kwh. I then have to add the ECA charge of .00682
So I am paying .07682 per kwh.
So with that new information. My kiln costs $1.03 a day.
That sounds about right to me. I was giddy over the 10 cents a day but knew that seemed very low.

Old 2008-02-11, 11:48am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Okay, I think Dale is right.
The chart link to the rates I posted are ECA rates which is an additional fee KCPL charges. Their website lacks actual rate information and so does my bill.
I took my current bill and divided the kWh used by the energy charge which turned out to be .0700 per kwh. I then have to add the ECA charge of .00682
So I am paying .07682 per kwh.
So with that new information. My kiln costs $1.03 a day.
That sounds about right to me. I was giddy over the 10 cents a day but knew that seemed very low.
I did a quick Google on USA residential electricity rates:
http://www.eia.doe.gov/bookshelf/brochures/rep/

It's reasonable to assume that if prices have changed since 2006, they've gone up. The web link shows average costs for each state:
Here's the costs shown:

Average US .104/kwhr
Kansas .0825/kwhr

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-02-11, 11:50am

Thanks Dennis.
Very fascinating!

Old 2008-02-11, 11:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brady View Post
The AIM 84BD is 1680 watts (14 amps x 120 volts)
Thank you.
Old 2008-02-11, 12:00pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
Hi Jami, You know, I just checked my electric bill and we are paying 3.405 cents per kwh - that's .03405. The estimated cost of my kiln use per day by a master electrician is approximately 10 cents. I don't find your estimate to be far off at all. My kiln is generally "on" for 8 hrs. a day - same kiln, by the way.
According to the US government statistics, you're paying almost 4 times that much.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-02-11, 1:50pm

I suppose, then, that government stats are not always correct.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2008-02-11, 2:27pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
I suppose, then, that government stats are not always correct.
I know that government stats are often incorrect.
I also know that you are not getting electricity for $.034 per kilowatt hour. If the people where you live were getting electricity for half the price everyone else everywhere in the USA was paying, it would be national news.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-02-11, 2:36pm
<--- Time traveler

Here's a list of average electricity costs per kilowatt hour, by state, from a year ago:

http://www.ppinys.org/reports/jtf/electricprices.html
Old 2008-02-11, 3:28pm

Sorry for my confusion, but I think part of it was the fact that my bill gave a rate that was not the actual rate paid but an additional rate called ECA rate.
The ECA kwh charge is
An energy cost adjustment (ECA) is a method of billing costs incurred in producing and purchasing electricity. This cost is offset by the sale of electricity to other utilities during times of low customer demand. Prior to January 1, 2008, this cost was included in the Energy Charge portion of the bill.
So when you see the ECA Kwh rate on your bill that is not your actual rate, it is an additional rate. If your electric company is like mine, the actual rate paid is hard to find. To figure it, take your energy charge (before fees & taxes and ECA) and divide it by the actual kwh's used. Then add the ECA rate to that number.
That will be the rate per kwh.

Old 2008-02-12, 8:26am
old fart

Quote:
That is 10 cents a day?
That seems low to me.
Is this right?
i bet your electric rate is $0.073 kw/h so you are a factor of 10 off so it would be more like $1/day

here is a link for background

http://www.neo.ne.gov/statshtml/115.htm

Last edited by laserglass; 2008-02-12 at 8:30am.
Old 2008-02-12, 11:05am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserglass View Post
i bet your electric rate is $0.073 kw/h so you are a factor of 10 off so it would be more like $1/day

here is a link for background

http://www.neo.ne.gov/statshtml/115.htm
The other posts in this thread have already thoroughly explained the reasons for the misunderstanding.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan