Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2011-09-26, 2:11am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
I am *SO* going to be there, and this time I'm not going to break my leg, dammit!

Thank you, Ofilia, for arranging the demo opportunity - I can't wait to show them goblin faces!

*sharon*
That's right, Sharon! No broken ANYTHING this time!!

I have to tell you a funny story..... remember my little lace making friend in Burano, Bruna Tagliapietra? Well, she STILL has that goblin head you gave her inside her little drawer of her lace making cushion ! It's in there with her favorite hard candies and other sewing/lacemaking supplies. She's such a sweet heart. I think this past trip I visited her four times. I could not get enough of Burano. Personally, I'd move there in a heart beat!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-09-26, 2:19am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid Riedel View Post
I wish our currency was not so terrible... For me it is double the amount to do this!
Darn it!!!!
Hi Astrid, remember, both the workshop and the housing is in US dollar rate! This helps tremendously for EVERYONE, regardless of their national currency because it helps to stablize the affordability for all of us. If the price of these workshops or housing were in euro, it would even higher to afford due to the nature of the strong euro. We have Lucio and Luigi to thank for this pricing! NO OTHER school or institution there will do this! The conversion of your currency is compared to US dollar. It is a huge huge advantage for our students .

Also, we do many things to keep our own personal expenses down by having our own private kitchens to cook our meals in. All of us in the groups, share tips on ways to save money and spread what we have around. It's really a great "familia" experience that goes beyond the boundaries of the studio. I'm very proud to have kept true to this approach.

An example of 'savings' is right now people who are planning to use their "miles" have started to scout the airlines, because now and in the weeks to come, is when to cash those in for our dates! It is always good to keep an eye on the eb and flow of the airline trends. Snatching that "right" fare is always a triumph that makes one really happy! It's important to take this kind of adventure with a lot of preparations, and the results will be worth it.

Last edited by Ofilia; 2011-09-26 at 2:23am.
Old 2011-09-27, 4:41pm
Beads Beads Glass

Okay. yes. I want to play. I will find a way even if I have to swim

Actions, even desperately stupid ones, have consequences

working on new blog
Old 2011-09-27, 5:07pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sra-p96 View Post
Okay. yes. I want to play. I will find a way even if I have to swim
LOL, Kim, save the energy of swimming to strolling around the cobbled walkways of Venice! I'll help you sort out how to find the right airfare choice. It's work to scout out fares, but the dance becomes part of the excitement leading up to the trip.

Old 2011-09-28, 5:03am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
You are totally breaking my heart here. I would so love to do this! Again.
Kimberly, I think you are totally DUE for another taste of Murano! It's been way too many years since your last time there. You work in surface elements of your bead designs, it's just perfect for this workshop. Could you envision your bead background with superimposed aquatic creatures??! Or your seahorse bead with smaller elements added, a la Bubacco, to the theme? OMG, if you started to make seahorse rings, I would be first in line for one of those!!

Last edited by Ofilia; 2012-01-28 at 1:50am.
Old 2011-10-14, 12:06am
Terry Henry

Ofilia asked me to post a bead I made using Lucio's technique. I went to Murano with the May 2011 class and enjoyed it so much! I brought home body parts, exploded every figurine I tried to make. What I also brought home was the knowledge, photos, and warm wonderful experiences from the class and the students that I shared the experience with. All I need is practice! The rooms were great and we ate pretty inexpensively. I spent my money on tools!! Lovely tools, and Italian shoes. I brought home lots of shoes. I guess by next year my shoes will be worn out and I will need to take more classes...I had a great time. This is an opportunity you will not want to miss.

Old 2011-10-15, 5:38am

Smile

Hi Terry, thanks so much for posting your lovely goddess bead! She is really outstanding. I love how she has that long waisted sensuality about her. Your embellishing jewelry design is most befitting as well.

Terry is totally correct... the only thing left after the workshop, is to practice. This workshop Terry was in was only one, perhaps two, days that students could dedicate to beads. That she came home and persued this new knowledge, the rewards are multiplied a thousand times . Imagine having 5 full days of bead and ring application time in the studio..... Awesome, just really awesome piece, Terry, que brava tu e. So, now, Terry, go walk some more in those shoes and wear them out so you "need" to get back to Venice for more .

And... thank you so much for describing so perfectly too, that the opportunity to go to Murano for study became far beyond the hours spend in the actual studio. The different sensory overload, the different shopping opportunities, the exploration of a totally foreign experience, with all it's surprises, is the grandest reward of all.

Last edited by Ofilia; 2011-10-15 at 5:40am.
Old 2011-10-15, 2:05pm
StudioMarcy

Murano was on my bucket list. After going, it was added again as "Return to Murano". Losty heart there and alot was credited to Ofilias guidance. Sheade it extra, extrs special.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-10-15, 2:06pm
StudioMarcy

Sorry on a phone and my spelling fails.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-10-16, 5:14pm

I add my two cents about taking a class with Lucio - it is wonderful and you will meet lots of new lampwork friends! Ofilia is a great tour guide and will show you places in Murano and Venice that you would not see on your own.

Since I will already be in Venice during this time (vacation) I will be able to come to the torching session at the school!

Caio!

Nancy Peterson
Beaver Island Jewelry
Old 2011-11-06, 10:24am

Smile

Here is a Lucio Unicorn man pendant with some battuto on the edges. This pendant bead is just under 2" wide. and 1 3/8" deep. Is he not spectacular!!

Here is a slightly angled view where you can see the nice relief of the surface using Lucio's technique for minatures....

Old 2011-11-06, 10:29am

Smile

Here is an off mandrel penant Lucio made, with an ornate background, a Diego style of embellishing the surface of the bead first. Then Lucio super imposed a snake figure that wrapped itself around both sides of the penant. I'm not a big fan of snakes, but fell in love with this piece..... Note the subtle color shift in the snake. Simple things to learn from Lucio that will make your work really stand out!

Here's the back side of the pendant....

Last edited by Ofilia; 2011-11-06 at 10:32am.
Old 2011-11-30, 10:37pm
Beads Beads Glass

I can't wait

working on new blog
Old 2011-11-30, 10:40pm
Beads Beads Glass

Do we need to bring millefiore for the ring class

working on new blog
Old 2011-12-03, 1:15am
To bead Yeah! ;)

Oh boy those beads are all TDF )
Show us some more please,

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2011-12-03, 3:30am

Smile

LOL, Astrid...... I can show you a BUNCH in Lucio's studio! In fact, Lucio's gallery is our actual "lunch room". Who ever gets to dine in such elegance? WE DO ! I'll see if I can find some images or other prior students have some images of the inspired surroundings we live in when in Murano.....

I hope you are getting more animated to join us. Would love to see your style of bead incorporating some of this Italian figures on it! Just imagine !!

Old 2011-12-03, 3:51am
StudioMarcy

Ofilia, I was just with Holly yesterday and we were saying how much fun we each had on our trip to Murano with you. You and your planning the details make it a magical experience.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-12-03, 3:18pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sra-p96 View Post
Do we need to bring millefiore for the ring class
Hi Kim, If you want to try adding cane sections to a ring, we can go over to Effetre and buy some there. I don't think we will have time to make our own cane. These canes used in Diegos samples are actually furnace cane from Davide Salvadore.

At Effetre, they allow us to shop in the millefior and filigrana room. But, if you have some handy at home, it's okay to bring some with you too! The cranky woman (I can't say her nickname here in public) in charge of that room is okay if we shop quick and drop cash fast, LOL. She's a character! One of many you will get to meet if going there is desired. If you are not shopping, do not even think of asking to go in. She has little tollerance for anything much. But it sure is worth it.

The cool thing about this room, is they also have smaller lots of broken millefiore shorts for a lot cheaper than buying murrine. The lots of millefior are smaller than the 10 kilo bundles of solid color, so also a good thing. It's easy to bundle them and pack them to take home in suitcases too.

Awe..... thanks, Marcy! I'm so happy returning to Murano is on your bucket list! It is addictive.

Last edited by Ofilia; 2011-12-03 at 3:21pm.
Old 2011-12-03, 4:42pm

Smile

Here is your 'lunch room'! You will eat your lunch surrounded by opulent glass sculptures, representing decades of Lucio's work. This is Lucio's private gallery.

In this photo you have multi generations of famed glass artists represented. You have Lucio, his eldest son, a multi media artist in his own right, Lucia Santini, and Flavio Barbini, son of late, great, Alfredo Barbini, who was awarded "the" master of the masters title.

What surprises come into the studio are for each day to behold. Never orchestrated, always open to serendipty at its finest.

Old 2011-12-20, 2:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofilia View Post
Here is an off mandrel penant Lucio made, with an ornate background, a Diego style of embellishing the surface of the bead first. Then Lucio super imposed a snake figure that wrapped itself around both sides of the penant. I'm not a big fan of snakes, but fell in love with this piece..... Note the subtle color shift in the snake. Simple things to learn from Lucio that will make your work really stand out!

Here's the back side of the pendant....

Ofilia, that snake, and the mermaid figure in the early shot (where you had forgotten the name of the glass) are both TAG Tibet. It's a 104 Amber/Purple striking glass. fwiw...

And YES YOU MUST GO TO MURANO!! Yes, you. And you... and you... and you... You will not regret it for a second, and you won't miss the cash once you have done it. BTW, My biggest shopping expense was shoes, the Italians are artisans in many different fields, lol!

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-12-21, 6:31am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
Ofilia, that snake, and the mermaid figure in the early shot (where you had forgotten the name of the glass) are both TAG Tibet. It's a 104 Amber/Purple striking glass. fwiw...

And YES YOU MUST GO TO MURANO!! Yes, you. And you... and you... and you... You will not regret it for a second, and you won't miss the cash once you have done it. BTW, My biggest shopping expense was shoes, the Italians are artisans in many different fields, lol!
Ciao Jenny! Thanks for the name of the glass. I missed that day when he used your TAG samples. Just stunning in the miniature figures !

Jenny is so right as far as artisan tallents in and around Venice..... She came upon a custom shoe maker with a very whimsical side. There are leather shops everywhere for custom designs or just special unique shopping. The discoveries to be made are endless and AMAZING .

I'll see if over the holiday weekend I have time to look for more images to share and entice my fellow flameworking family out here. I will guarantee you, no other entity puts together groups with the end results we have. How do you put a price on "life changing"? It's deeper, more meaningful than an "oh, I spent 10 days in Venice", yes indeedie . I can't explain it. If you come with an open heart, and a mind of being a sponge to absorb everything that comes you way.....with an understanding YOU are the GUEST in THEIR home and appreciate what that means, EVERYTHING goes wonderful and the life time of memories is priceless. For me, everytime I leave Venice, a piece of me stays behind.......

Buona Natale, Everyone !!

Last edited by Ofilia; 2012-01-28 at 1:52am.
Old 2011-12-21, 6:58am

TAG Tibet is my new best friend! I think the snake looks awesome!
Old 2011-12-21, 11:49am
Beads Beads Glass

How many days to go..... 118 days until class starts wow its almost Here

working on new blog
Old 2011-12-21, 1:18pm

Ofilia, a big chunk of me stayed behind after the trip last May! I was emailing with Donna the other day and we were plotting a return, perhaps in 2013.

It was life changing on many levels. Yes, my skill levels grew, but more importantly, I gained an even greater appreciation for the true masters of this art, whether it is the figurative sculptures from Lucio and Emilio, the intricate lifeforms of Vittorio, the blown beads of Graziano, the larger sculptures of some of the other studios we visited, the micromosaics you and the other gals did at Orsoni and at the studio we visited, and the blown glass lampshades at Di Rossi. Then, there was Mr. Tysbe - the painter, sculptor, woodworker, renaissance man..... Let alone the history, the culture, the FOOD! I swear, someday I'm going to go back to Venice and stay in an apartment near the Rialto Market and spend a few days cooking.

I'd love to explore the leather shops that make shoes; the off the shelf ones are too small for my huge feet so I didn't even try.

The very best part of the trip was all of my new friends! Ofilia, my classmates, the Murano glassworkers and Cleo!

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)

Last edited by Diane (clarus); 2011-12-21 at 1:19pm. Reason: forgot the most important part - FRIENDS!
Old 2012-01-20, 11:34pm
Beads Beads Glass

Lol lol got my numbers on the calendar the right way lol 79 days to go for me lol its 1am here and this is the first time life has slowed down enough for me to post lol I cannot wait to get on that plane.

working on new blog
Old 2012-01-21, 3:58am
StudioMarcy

Did anyone catch the Lucio and Paul Stankard live video demo from Corning this past week? It was so much fun seeing Lucio working again. Brought back memories of my wonderful trip to Murano.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2012-01-21, 6:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Did anyone catch the Lucio and Paul Stankard live video demo from Corning this past week? It was so much fun seeing Lucio working again. Brought back memories of my wonderful trip to Murano.
Hi Marcy, wow! No! Is there a link somewhere to watch it? It would be cool to see the two masters at work.

Well, I was thinking maybe it was on Youtube, but I didn't find it there. But I did find this great link that is three sequential interviews and showcases of Lucio and his body of work. Do check them out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkv1p...CDA4E9604D1B43 The thrid one, starts out with a bunch of commercials, but be patient, and you will see the bounty of his styles, figures and beads.

Last edited by Ofilia; 2012-01-21 at 7:14am.
Old 2012-01-21, 7:28am
StudioMarcy

Yes, I wish I could have taken that class. But the videos that Corning archives are here: http://www.ustream.tv/user/CorningMuseumofGlass/videos That one isn't up yet. Nor the one of Loren, the week before.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2012-02-08, 4:57pm
Beads Beads Glass

Almost time.

working on new blog
Old 2012-02-11, 5:30pm

I must chime in! I agree with everyone it is truly the trip of a lifetime! Not only improving your skills, but making some new and life time friends!
Addicting is to say the least! Ofilia is a gem! If you do not have the most wonderful time of your life it is really your own fault! What is there to complain about you are in Italy, on the island of Murano doing what you love with the "maestros"! Can't get much better!

44 days and counting!

Marianne
Mkdisegni