Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-10-12, 7:58am

Default please help me control my Passion!

I posted a while back about trying to achieve an effect with GA's Blue Passion. I am now able to get that amazing neon blue color much of the time by flame striking. However, after about 15 minutes in the kiln at 1050 it has washed out to armygreen mud. I tried garaging at 1000 instead. Same thing. IS there a way I can get that effect with a kiln strike instead? Or a different temp i should be using to garage, or a different annealing cycle to keep it from washing out? Does anyone have any confidence with working the "Passion" colors who might be willing to give me some basic tips? I have been working a long time to try to get this effect and now that I can do it, i want to figure out how to keep it!!! Please help if you can.
Old 2014-10-13, 9:17pm

Hi, Sarah! Just for reference, next time you get that neon blue, would you mind posting a photo? I'd love to see it. I've never used that color before, but my initial thought is to strike it just a little bit in the flame, and then get the glass into the kiln to strike the rest of the way. You'll have to monitor it. You could also try quenching the bead or marble or whatever in water to rapidly bring down the heat and stop the crystal growth. It's not as violent as it sounds.
Old 2014-10-14, 6:16am

wait a minute...hold the phone....GA has a Blue Passion now? i can't seem to find it on the ga website.
Old 2014-10-15, 4:41am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrassGlass View Post
You could also try quenching the bead or marble or whatever in water to rapidly bring down the heat and stop the crystal growth.
Say WHAAAATT???

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2014-10-15, 6:25am
ManBearPig

Yep. That works really well with fumed pieces. It makes the silver crystals grow pretty quickly. Sometimes too quickly as it will push past blues into milky whites.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-10-23, 10:35am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

WHAT works really well? If I make a marble with a fumed flower inside, after annealling it for 5 hours at 1050 I should drop it into a bucket of water? Obviously I do not understand how that accomplishes anything other than cracking my marble into 100 pieces.

And for a bead that has blue passion on it, which is then covered with clear, after making it I should drop it in a bucket of water? And then anneal it to 30 minutes?

What am I missing?

Old 2014-10-26, 6:42am
Bliss Junkie

you drop anything into a bucket of water, but if you have water and take hot glass and touch the glass to water it will steam and cool off quickly... try it with a nothing piece a few times to get used to it... remember, your trying to cool it off, not shatter it

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2014-10-27, 6:17am
ManBearPig

You don't drop it into water. You quickly dip it into water and then take it out. You don't do it after annealing it. You do it before it goes into the kiln.

Old 2014-11-01, 1:03pm

Wow, I'm fascinated by this quenching idea.... I will try it and see what happens (assuming I'm understanding the process correctly....) stopping the crystals from progressing sounds like what might need to happen. I'm trying to attach a pic of the neon blue (desired) which is the lower leftmost bead -- other other greens are some of what happens to it in the kiln that i don't want.... I've never uploaded an image before. I hope it works and thank you all for your thoughts! I'm determined someday to get this!!!!
Old 2014-11-01, 1:07pm

sorry trying again to post the pic
Attached Images

Old 2014-11-02, 8:21am

i'm going to ask again lol....i see someone mentioned GA blue passion...i did not know this color exists....is it an out of production color? can't find it anywhere.
Old 2014-11-02, 1:33pm

I think it still exists but it's unavailable right now.... I've had some trouble finding some for a while and was worried they had stopped making it. One of the people at one of the distributors called GA for me to ask, and apparently it has not been permanently retired, but they haven't made any recently because they've been concentrating on batches of newer colors. They didn't indicate that it wouldn't be coming back or had been officially retired, I guess it's just far back in the production priority at the moment. I will be REALLY PISSED if I spend all this time trying to figure out how to work it and then finally get it and not be able to get the glass anymore!!!!!!!
Old 2014-11-03, 1:18pm

I have not use a lot of either but i always thought GA blue passion was very similar to NorthStar Dark Blue Amber Purple so if you can't find any blue passion give the blue amber purples a shot.

Living the dream rocking a GTT Mirage and or 40mm Herbert Arnold J Howard Style with a home fill system in south central Wisconsin