Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-03-12, 1:37pm

Default Glitter effect question

Last day I saw a Trollbead with glitter on it, it was beautiful, except I don't know where you can buy glitter for softglas. Does anybody know a vendor that sels glitter for flamework?
Old 2012-03-12, 2:25pm
honorary bead lady

As in aventurine/goldstone?
Old 2012-03-12, 2:41pm
Just Plain

Or dichroic glass?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-03-12, 2:42pm
Forms in Glass

or mica/pixi dust.

My Etsy

Old 2012-03-13, 7:38am

got a picture? LE'rs can figure out a lot from a picture.
Old 2012-03-18, 9:22am
Glass-aholic

Humm any update here?

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-03-18, 11:51am

One of the boro sparkle colors?
Old 2012-03-18, 12:00pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Sounds like Pixie Dust...

Old 2012-03-18, 1:22pm

What about green aventurine?
Old 2012-03-18, 1:39pm
Storm Queen

There used to be German lampwork artist that had glitter in her beads. I never figured out how she did it. I wish I had a picture of her beads now to show you. It wasn't dichro either. It was silver glitter on regular glass and encased.

Old 2012-03-18, 2:58pm
Fried Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
One of the boro sparkle colors?
Oohhhh. I've been convincing myself two COEs are enough but that is pretty!!!
Old 2012-03-19, 12:01am

this looks like 96 coe green aventurine it is very pretty in the sun.thats a awesome bead
Old 2012-03-19, 12:26am

Is this the one?

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...how+pixie+dust

Old 2012-03-19, 1:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
There used to be German lampwork artist that had glitter in her beads. I never figured out how she did it. I wish I had a picture of her beads now to show you. It wasn't dichro either. It was silver glitter on regular glass and encased.
maybe you are looking for Vera?

She has made a new E-Book:

http://www.glasperlenzimmer.de/shop/

Corry
Old 2012-03-19, 6:25am
Sorry for party rockin'

Is there such a thing as dichro frit?

Old 2012-03-19, 10:02am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by coretta View Post
maybe you are looking for Vera?

She has made a new E-Book:

http://www.glasperlenzimmer.de/shop/

Corry
No. Those are pretty but it doesn't look like glitter at all.

Old 2012-03-19, 10:22am

@Ginny

Yes, there is dichro frit, at least for fusing. I'm too new at lampworking to know if it exists in 104.

Cheryl
Old 2012-03-19, 11:31am

You can make your own dichro frit in three ways.

Use nippers to cut off tiny pieces of 104 dichroic coated glass.

Heat a small sheet of dichroic coated clear in a kiln, remove it carefully, and quench it in cold water to shatter. Wrap in a towel after drying, and hit it with a hard object to crush it further.

Or, kiln fuse dichroic glass strips face down onto another sheet of 104 glass. Full fuse to 1375. The extra layer of clear glass coats the dichroic so it is protected. Then introduce the strip into the flame with a coffee cup full of water underneath it to quench the hot glass. You should have some decent sizes of frit after it is cooled and broken up a bit more.

I have more of a background in fusing than lampworking so these are methods I have used for years.

Barbara
Old 2012-03-19, 11:45am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyHampton View Post
Is there such a thing as dichro frit?
You've seen this stuff that Ron sells...

I've only used it a couple of times. It still doesn't look like glitter.

Old 2012-03-19, 11:52am
Loving learning

Was it color or silver? I've fused with mica flakes before. They came out silvery. I had the larger sized flakes though, too large for lampwork, but maybe I'll try cutting some up somehow & including them in a bead as an experiment. Or buying some smaller size next time I see them. I was going to put a photo of them in a fused piece, but can't find anything right now.
Old 2012-03-19, 6:10pm
Loving learning

I cut up some of my large flakes and put some in a bead. I couldn't tell how they were going to look, but will find out in the morning. Cutting the flakes up was a pain, if I like it I'll be buying smaller flakes!
Old 2012-03-20, 6:14am
Loving learning

OK, scratch the mica flakes, they aren't shiny enough to look like glitter.

Edited to change this. The larger flakes I had and cut up were not metallic enough, and I couldn't cut them up small enough to make it work like the small silver did.

Last edited by Eileen; 2014-05-01 at 12:55pm.
Old 2012-03-20, 6:32am
Glass-aholic

Quote:

Imma gonna need more info on this yummy inclusion of what looks like a kryptonian ice tower.....

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-03-20, 7:51am
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:

WHOA! That looks cool . . . . I went to his website and can't find it.
Where is it available?

Old 2012-03-20, 8:32am
Hello?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyHampton View Post
WHOA! That looks cool . . . . I went to his website and can't find it.
Where is it available?
This is what your looking for http://cbs-dichroic.com/shopping/sho...er+Foil&PN=376

Old 2012-03-20, 9:36am
Glass-aholic

drool drool... thanks for the link

Old 2012-03-21, 10:41pm

The beads have dichro frit in them. It's a pain to photograph, but has a really nice sparkle in person.

Old 2012-04-06, 3:20am

You're talking about something that Ron sels... Who is Ron and where can I buy this?
Old 2012-04-06, 3:22am

I have only seen that glitter in my trollbead. It's glitter like nailpolish, and definately no dichro, goldstone, aventurijn or something. Looks like normal glitter you can buy at hobby shops, but they all burn...
Old 2012-04-06, 3:34am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadorsplace View Post
I have only seen that glitter in my trollbead. It's glitter like nailpolish, and definately no dichro, goldstone, aventurijn or something. Looks like normal glitter you can buy at hobby shops, but they all burn...
Are you sure it's glass?

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy