Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-03-12, 4:42pm

Default Dog in Studio

Question for those with dogs and/or cats. Do you allow your pets to "hang out" while you are torching? I'm a little worried about that...if it's dangerous for us, isn't it dangerous for our animals too? Has anybody's pet/s experienced any problems?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-03-12, 4:54pm
product of the universe

My dog has a little spot in the corner under the bench that she has laid claim to. She has been a studio dog from day one. She's never had any problems. The cats on the other hand wanna get in my lap when i'm doing important things so i try to keep the cats out.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-03-12, 4:57pm
I like to melt things

I'm worried about this too, primarily because my dog sniffs everything and tries to put it in his mouth. I don't have a studio yet and have been putting off setting one up until I work my way around my dog's issues.

If your dog is orally fixated the way mine is, and might snort glass dust or eat broken glass it's probably not a good idea. If your dog is chill and minds its own business, it probably won't hurt anything.

-
-
Old 2009-03-12, 5:06pm

I don't have a dog yet...my pooch died in 2001 and I'm starting to get the "urge." However, I'm worried that if it's dangerous for a humans lungs, the same might apply to an animal. I know that I would want my dog hanging out with me!!! Tough decision!

Old 2009-03-12, 5:48pm

Hi, I use to let my Chihuahua in with me when I did lampworking, until I found her eating
the tiny glass pieces that where under the bench on the floor. Now I always keep her out. At first she used to sat at the door & cry, but now she just lays down & naps.
Does anyone else's dog try to eat the tiny glass pieces? Sincerely, Cynthia from Australia
Old 2009-03-12, 6:11pm

One of my dogs used to like to curl up next to me when I torched. The other liked to come and visit. Neither tried to eat anything, but I always worried about them getting glass shards in their pads. I always made sure I kept the floor clean.

Linda
Old 2009-03-12, 6:18pm

No, because my two like to put EVERYTHING in their mouths. And should a rod go shocky, I don't want them hit by flying hot glass.
Old 2009-03-12, 6:31pm

I have 3 cats and a miniature poodle. My dog comes and goes when I am on the torch. He does not eat stuff that falls on the floor (lucky me, I can leave food on the table and he will not bother it). My cats tend to visit and want to lay on the table, so I have to push them off.
Old 2009-03-12, 6:31pm
Incognito

I send my dog out. Flying shocky rod flew off and hit my lab girl once . She was curled up asleep. Luckily I got it before it burned her, but that did it for me. She was banned.

If you are all wrapped up in yourself, you are overdressed.
Old 2009-03-12, 6:35pm
A True Woofer

My dog eats everything off the floor, so she's not allowed in the studio.

Old 2009-03-12, 6:41pm
Burning Fingers!

I keep my three dogs out - two are just too big, and the space is small, also the thought of glass bits on the floor cutting their pads, and shocky glass possibly burning their coats/skin. I figure it's just safer all around - for them and for me.

/
/
/

Old 2009-03-12, 6:43pm
Lover of all things color

Mine use to go down in the basement with me but quickly got bored and headed back upstairs. My concern was that my Westie always brought a toy down with her that she wanted me to throw and if it picks up any little glass pieces they will get in her mouth. Soooooo, they don't go down anymore.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-03-12, 7:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
Question for those with dogs and/or cats. Do you allow your pets to "hang out" while you are torching? I'm a little worried about that...if it's dangerous for us, isn't it dangerous for our animals too? Has anybody's pet/s experienced any problems?
No, never.

From broken glass bits to fumes to fire risk-not a chance I'd expose my pets to it. I keep them away from my studio, period.
Old 2009-03-12, 7:30pm
Corgi Cult Member

My corgi loves to be in the basement when I torch. She's not a chewer and doesn't sample odd bits on the floor. My setup has great ventilation, so fumes aren't a problem. I make her stay on the back side of the work bench which is baffled on three sides all the way to the table.

I've wondered why she loves it so much and the only reason I can think of is the vibration or hum of the M-15 because she didn't act like this when I had a smaller oxycon. Weird.

Old 2009-03-12, 7:40pm

Mine have to be right there with me. If I don't take them in the studio they stand outside barking at the window.
Old 2009-03-13, 12:09am
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I have 2 of my chi's with me when I torch.. They have their own chair with a dog bed still with me but out of the way.. We have 6 chihuahuas but those two have crazy attachment problems with me and howl and bark when I am home and they aren't with me so hubby recycled the chair so they wouldn't be underfoot..

Here is a pic. Show 'n Tell.. Always love to show off the pups..
Old 2009-03-13, 12:32am
Entropy increasing....

When Bungee was younger I didn't let him in at all. Then he came in while I was on the torch once and as soon as I could turn around to make sure he wasn't into anything, I saw a piece of 3 mm stringer on the floor that looked like it had been chewed into several pieces!

So, he didn't come in again until he stopped "tasting" everything. Now he comes in and of course he tries to go under the bench between my legs to see what's down there. It has to be good, you know. Surely there is steak or something down there. But he's old enough now that I tell him "out" and he leaves. He's not that interested in hanging out with me at the moment. He's in a period where he thinks Daddy is just fascinating to be around.
Old 2009-03-13, 7:11am
Authentic WI Cheesehead

Our Murphy (PBGV) is sorta banned from my studio as well, but he doesn't usually want to come in...one reason I don't like to torch on rainy days as he doesn't like to be alone in the house and I don't like him to get so wet.

I worry about flying glass and also glass that is not swept up on the floor - cutting his paws. I also don't think he likes the smells in there anyway.
Old 2009-03-13, 7:39am

Not only did I never allow my best friend (gone last year) into the studio, I swap out shoes so I don't track glass into the house. It was to protect his paws mostly, but I've kept it up. Unless you're wet mopping, I think it's impossible to get all the small bits up.
Old 2009-03-13, 7:43am
Hole Challenged

I've never let any of my dogs in my glass room, I feel it's too dangerous. Heck, I won't even let the grandkids come in unless they have shoes on. It seems that no matter how much I sweep there is always shards on the floor, don't want them or the dogs to happen to step on them. If the weather is nice enough to have the house open I will leave the door open so my current dog can at least see me. He has separation issues.

Old 2009-03-13, 7:43am
birdergirl ~o~

I would worry about the glass shards on the floor and I think that fumes are heavier than air and any fumes would sink to the floor level where the animals are breathing.
Would you let a child be in the same situation? That's how I always gauge my pet answers. IMHO

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2009-03-13, 7:45am
Hole Challenged

Gail ... Murphy is soooooo adorable!

Old 2009-03-13, 7:52am
yukue fumei

My dog loves being in the studio.
When he was younger, I would say,"To the lab!" and he would jump up, woof (he almost never vocalized, so I knew he was excited) and run to the door of the studio. He has a bed about 5 feet behind my workstation and he promptly sits down and goes to sleep.
He likes to sniff packages when I open them but never touches anything(except for once when he found some of my fossils...I guess they still smelled tasty).
He is really sensitive to sound, so shocky glass or the foot pedal release sends him outside.
In the summer, he will pick nectarines from the ground and bring them in and eat them while he waits for me.

nagi

Old 2009-03-13, 8:03am
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

My four big kitties love to sleep on the couch behind me in my studio. They stay way out of the way of me and
melting glass, and they don't hop up on my bench. They're just not interested. Little Mr. Boogiepie Kittenpants
however, snuck into the studio last week, hopped up on my bench and managed to scratch his eye with a stringer
or something. I figured it out when he wouldn't open his eye and there were shorts scattered under my bench.
Fortunately after an eye stain, my vet said there wasn't any glass stuck in his eye, just a scratch and he gave me
some drops that Boogie doesn't mind at all and I'm not letting him back outside until I get the studio moved to the
shop we've been working on. His eye is healing really well since he's young, but I still felt terrible when I realized
what happened. Poor Kittenpants.

Old 2009-03-13, 8:26am
Likes to melt stuff...

I think the lesson here is know your dog and what they're going to do in a particular setting. My studio isn't at my home -- it's at an arts community that is dog friendly. My dogs come to work with me regularly. One has a bed under my work table and the other sleeps on the studio sofa. I keep the floors clean enough for me to walk around barefoot (when the torch is off) so I would assume their pads are safe as well. (The benefits of concrete floors in the lampworking studio are endless!)

As far as venting and fumes, I would hope that we all would put a premium on our own health as well as our pets' health. I'd never work in a studio where I feared my pets were being exposed to too many fumes. That would mean I am in danger, too.
Old 2009-03-13, 8:57am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

I know we all love our fur babes but ,its not a good place for them.
Glass slivers will work there way out of our skin but in cats and dogs a glass sliver will work its way in and fester,this is what my vet said.

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2009-03-13, 9:12am
Authentic WI Cheesehead

Thanks Melodie...he is a cutie, but such a bonehead! He has us both wrapped around his paw!
Old 2009-03-13, 9:14am

Do the folks who allow their pets into their studios use silver or gold? Fume? Use small particulate frits or powders? I don't think they make respirators for animals.
Old 2009-03-13, 9:14am

After reading all the little tidbits on pets in our work areas, I had to tell the story of Gizmo. He was a persian. He was always doing stupid things.
I have a shelf that sits 5 ft above my torch. Giz loved to sleep on it while I torched. It was cozy & warm.
One day while torching he decided to jump down. When he jumped, he jumped into the flame. His fur caught fire...I had a hot bead on a mandrel..I was so frightened of the fur being on fire that I started beating the flames with both hands. When I realized I was hitting him with the hot bead I dropped it into my chair (not realizing it was burning a hole in my seat). I have a tall file cabinet on my left and my small kiln on my right. He ran towards the file cabinet but was trapped so he ran back through the flame. I caught him & patted out the flames. . He fought me so I let him go, ran off outside. We didnt see him for a couple days and he never slept on the shelf again..
When he did come back I checked him all over and the fire never touched his skin...he looked pretty ratty...
Old 2009-03-13, 10:39am
Yeah me!

I have a pit bull and he never leaves my side so of course he has to be in the room while I torch. I figure that if I have good enough ventilation for me then it's good enough for him. I have conditioned him to sit or lay behind me though because I don't want him to get burned by any exploding pieces. I don't have to worry about him eating anything though. I read somewhere that glass is one of the things that our bodies can't digest so if I did have a pet that liked to eat random things I definitely wouldn't let them in the room with me.