Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2010-12-29, 12:34pm
Serenity Now!

Default PappaShop can kiss my a**

After 3 years plus with using PappaShop, and after having COUNTLESS issues ~ all of them being their own fault, I just got an e-mail that they are 'terminating' my service with them. The bastards gave me 9 days to scramble to set up a new account.

I am burning. It is obvious, from reading this and other forums, that there is a lot of dissatisfaction with them.

I will post more later, but I wanted everyone to know from the get-go that there is no reason on Earth to be using them.

Their service is second to none in the "it sucks" department, and they are constantly passing the buck, telling me it is "my" issue/problem/fault. I have never - ever touched, tweaked, modified, or otherwise anything within the "workings" of my site, and yet when there is a problem, they vamoose.

This is the last straw. I am so P o'd, it ain't even funny.

Alex, Jocelyne, and your crew - you can all kiss my sweet a**. You are reprehensible, disrespectful, and totally unprofessional, and I want the World to know.

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-29, 1:50pm
beads....mmmm

If you are looking for a new hosting company, I can recommend Dreamhost.com.
No affiliation, other than hosting dozens of client's sites there over the years. They have easy installs for lots of software - wordpress, zencart, etc.

Good luck!
Old 2010-12-29, 2:27pm
Heart of Glass

Dreamhost comes highly recommended
Old 2010-12-29, 2:57pm
Serenity Now!

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I'm still ticked off with PS, and their offhand ways.

If you are using PappaShop to host your website, be forewarned they may pull the plug on you too. I was with them for over 3 years, paid my bills on time, and only questioned when my site wasn't working properly - which was frequently, and unquestionably always their fault. Better to get out while the going is good folks. And the more I've been looking around, the more I see full-well that their product is out-dated, and truly old-fashioned by comparison of what is out there available - at better pricing, and 24/7 service to boot. I am offended by their behaviour, but overjoyed at the prospect of a much better website. PappaShop - you can still - and always, bite my a**. You SUCK...and that is an understatement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Over the Moon; 2010-12-30 at 7:13am.
Old 2010-12-29, 3:18pm
Still makin' flowers...

Oh, I'm so sorry this happened to you, Val.

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!
Old 2010-12-29, 4:11pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Woah, I have had no problems but I am only about 1.5 months in.

Old 2010-12-29, 5:33pm
Formerly FishBulb

That stinks, Val! I hope you can find someone better.

I saw that "other" thread here on LE where the PS folk did pop in here to leave a few comments. Suffice to say I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-12-29, 6:32pm
Serenity Now!

Thanks Hannah and Angie, for your kind words of support. I admit, I was rather surprised to see that since I posted this thread, someone pulled up the other thread which had been idle for weeks - just to say how great PappaShop is, and that they recommend them. Uhhhmmm - dontchya read all the threads about how crappy they are? How... odd.

I also saw the comments the owners of PappaShop posted. Unbeleivable that they would do that on a public forum. Truly shameful, immature, and unprofessional behaviour. They can still bite me.

Old 2010-12-29, 6:53pm
ManBearPig

If you need help getting your new site up and running, let me know...

Old 2010-12-29, 7:06pm
Carpe Beadum

I'm sorry to hear you got booted, Val! What a pain!

I hope you went to Westhost, simply because of the free transfer option. That saved me a ton of time and effort, let me tell you.

I looked at Dreamhost based on recommendations here, and Westhost is a lot cheaper, but still offers all the same services. (And Westhost was recommended by another artist in my building, so it's not like I just stumbled on them.) And Westhost's "get a year of hosting free" sale is only good for another couple of days.

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2010-12-29, 7:56pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Yea, what a pain in the tush. I had a local computer geek look at PS and he wasn't impressed. He's going to build be a website in 2011...oooh, that's like next week! Woohoo!

Old 2010-12-29, 8:47pm
one day at a time

Wow, sorry this happened to you, Val.

I couldn't keep paying their bill anymore so when they cancelled me for being over 30 days late, I was actually glad. They sure didn't waste time doing it, and even after I had been paying that bill for more than 3 years. I'm not going back, and I'm sure I can find better for way less than what they charge.
Old 2010-12-30, 5:22am
boro color bender

I've had nothing but great customer service from Pappashop. I'm not very computer literate and setting it up was a breeze... listing is super easy and they've always gone above and beyond when I've had a question. I saw the other thread too and have to speak up... they are people... they had a normal reaction to a situation where people were only telling part of the story in order to make them look bad.

If any of us had a pain in the ass customer who treated us like that, the advise would be to cancel the sale and move on... that's what they did here. I think that's a valid response to the problem. It's what I would have done... too bad a thread with even more negative attacks had to be started... I think we could try harder to be professional as customers... because some times, you get what you give... don't be appalled if your behavior was nasty and somebody didn't roll over and ask for another verbal spanking... business or not, we all have our limits.

Lisi, that's how it works... you don't pay your bill, you get cut off... how many free beads do you keep sending to past customers when they don't pay for them????????????

With the amount of hosting services available, i think everybody can find one to suit their needs and budget... that can be done with out trying to get "revenge" or draw blood... there are better ways to deal with frustration over techy stuff. I bang my head against the wall every time i try to do something minor with my computer system... I can almost always guarantee it's a lack of understanding on my part and when i ask nicely for help, most of the time i get it resolved quickly... even if the problem is on my end... attitude is every thing...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-12-30, 5:34am
Macaw Mamma

WOW!!! This is good to know, ok if they want to terminate you, but more notice than 9 days would have been just good business......

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2010-12-30, 5:43am
Angie09

I am a professional website designer (www.gdetails.com ---shameless plug) and I have NEVER heard of a hosting company firing a client!!!! EVER!!! Unfortunately, good employees are hard to find and hosting companies often do NOT have the best employees ... they seem to "assume" you know every thing there is to know about web design and hosting and I have often been treated poorly and spoken down to (usually young (I assume) men who do not like dealing with a professional woman) by a hosting companies staff. When I call a hosting company it is because I do not understand something or there is a problem .... it is THEIR job to walk me through it regardless of my particular mood that day. Computer issues can be very frustrating and a website down can cost you lost revenue!

Trust me Brent, you (as a man) get treated differently by computer techies and I know this how? I did a test ... I had a male employee of mine call a hosting company with an issue and surprisingly it was solved rather quickly ... I then made the same call but regarding a different website I created and was treated like I just fell off the turnip truck!

Good customer service should be given to all regardless of gender, mood or problem!!! Afterall, that is what they are selling ... that and hosting space so someone can continue to make a living.
Old 2010-12-30, 6:35am
Serenity Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
... was treated like I just fell off the turnip truck!
That's so incredibly spot-on! It's their exact way of how they respond, and precisely what I told them.

Thanks so much for everyone's support!

Last edited by Over the Moon; 2010-12-30 at 1:10pm.
Old 2010-12-30, 2:26pm
You talkin to me?

Along with Mr. Smiley, I too have had nothing but wonderful service with Pappashop. I'd honestly be afraid to go elsewhere. They stick with you if you have issues and with the probably-two-problems i've ever had in many years, they helped me until my issue was solved.

I work on a Minor burner, with an oxy-con and household natural gas
Old 2010-12-30, 4:07pm

I used them for a few years and the only thing I didn't like was the turnaround time for solving issues or getting a hold of them on the phone. They have wonderful templates and it's pretty easy to use. I just started a jewelry site and the only reason I didn't go with them was the price. I can host with zen cart for $5.95 a month and that gives me unlimited everything. Zencart is free so that compared to almost $20 a month was the decision maker. I have support 24/7 even on Christmas from omnis. com. Never any downtime and they fix problems almost instantly!

Old 2010-12-30, 4:08pm

oops... I have zencart installed by my hosting company is www.omnis.com
That's the only place I pay $5.95 for. Just wanted to be more clear.

Old 2010-12-30, 6:53pm
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the Moon View Post
After 3 years plus with using PappaShop, and after having COUNTLESS issues ~ all of them being their own fault, I just got an e-mail that they are 'terminating' my service with them. The bastards gave me 9 days to scramble to set up a new account.

I am burning. It is obvious, from reading this and other forums, that there is a lot of dissatisfaction with them.

I will post more later, but I wanted everyone to know from the get-go that there is no reason on Earth to be using them.

Their service is second to none in the "it sucks" department, and they are constantly passing the buck, telling me it is "my" issue/problem/fault. I have never - ever touched, tweaked, modified, or otherwise anything within the "workings" of my site, and yet when there is a problem, they vamoose.

This is the last straw. I am so P o'd, it ain't even funny.

Alex, Jocelyne, and your crew - you can all kiss my sweet a**. You are reprehensible, disrespectful, and totally unprofessional, and I want the World to know.
What was the reason they gave you for the termination?

Old 2010-12-30, 7:54pm

You'll be better off once you are moved. The problems pappashop is having are mostly based in how they talk and treat customers, this is just another example of how they are when they think no one is looking.

Hosting a website really is not just providing a space on a server that someone who already know you address can see, but rather having a server that google can find. You know pages, photos, and items that someone that has never heard of you can search google and see your site, THAT is how you make money selling on the net, not just having a web domain. It all starts with a good hosting company. You HAVE to be found!

You will notice a real difference in your traffic soon after getting set up on your new hosting service, trust me, it was the best move I ever made.

Old 2010-12-30, 11:18pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I had a site with them at the very beginning when they first started up and had it for like 2 years and had no trouble with the site, not one bit... I have taken a break from lampworking and gave up my site.

About 6 months ago, I re-signed back up for my handmade cards and supplies but already had a previously designed wordpress blog and wanted to transfer my template to cpanel's wordpress install.. There was just no way, no how other than uploading one file at a time through FTP to get my design in and then when I finally did the permissions were all screwed up and I could not even post. To make a long story short, no matter what I did I could not get file permissions set so wordpress would work through Cpanel. I e-mailed back and forth with Pappashop support and basically after 2 e-mails I got the --- Its really not our program and we aren't supporting it line.. Which I think is carp because they are the ones offering cpanel as a back end item..

I immediately cancelled and moved to ShoppePro and had the same issue. It was not allowing me to alter the template or post or add any of the widgets. I e-mailed the owner at like 11 p.m. and within 15 minutes I had an e-mail back and a fix to the issue. They use the same type of content management system if anyone is looking for a new host.

There is something to say for custumer service and something has happened with them between when I first had my site to now. Sometimes I think you just grow to fast that there is no infrastructure to deal with it and often times it is the downfall of a company.

Last edited by Megan; 2010-12-31 at 7:35am. Reason: spelling
Old 2010-12-31, 12:36am
I'm a lilac!

All I really know about Pappashop is that everyone was pretty happy with them for the first few years, but recently I've seen a lot of people have problems with them. To me, it's not the problems so much as how they respond to them. Their response in another thread I saw was thoroughly unprofessional.

Old 2010-12-31, 5:42am
Serenity Now!

Thanks again for everyone's kind words of support. Laura - I was 'terminated' because I sent them an e-mail asking about a feature that used to be on my site, and wasn't working any longer, and they not only told me it was my fault, and my problem, that when I wrote back and told them there method of "passing the buck" each time I contacted for support was getting "old", I got an e-mail back saying people like me will never be satisfied, so they were cancelling.

Of course, as I previously wrote, I never once touched the inner workings of my site - don't even know how - and every single issue I ever had with them was entirely and unequivocably THEIR fault.

You know what I say, right? Bite me PappaShop. You can all kiss my sweet a**.

Old 2010-12-31, 5:56am
Angie09

You will find this kind of attitude with "small shoppes" like this .... it's happened to me more than once. When they are small and getting going, they are friendly and helpful but once they get to a certain "level" the customer service goes downhill and they attitude of "grateful to be in business" fades. Bigger is not always better!!! You're much better off Laura going with a larger hosting company. I use Bluehost.com and have for years.
Old 2011-08-15, 5:59am

WoW Val, sorry to hear about this ..... I can remember the threads proclaiming them as the "best of the best of the best"! Just goes to prove, once again, all new brooms sweep mighty clean
Old 2011-08-16, 11:22am
Mary Lockwood

My grandma's saying was 'A new broom looks nice but an old broom knows where the dirt is'.

Old 2011-08-19, 4:06am
Serenity Now!

I would -without a moment's hesitation, suggest www.3dcart.com
They are awesome, offer tons of options, and fabulous Customer support.

Nothing like PappaShop, who still can kiss my a**.

Old 2011-08-19, 8:39pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Pappashop lasted about a month with me... it was such a PITA to use.

I have my domain name with GoDaddy.com and Janelle Zorko is the one who merged my websites to make them all one cohesive bundle of webbiness. She gets back to me promptly and is super patient!

Old 2011-08-20, 9:31am

Or get a free shopping cart with zen-cart. I was able to design my own site and I like the control you have for sales, inventory control..etc