No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2007-01-14, 3:52pm
Insane? You're Insane!

Default space between a wall and torch?

My Dh is SO concerned about the amount of space that I need between a minor and the wall he has "given" me the dinning room table as my studio. I have a corner in the house that I would love to move to, but he thinks I'll burn us down. Do I need to put a piece of metal over the wall? I have a food prep table that's stainless that I want to work off of, it's maybe 24-30inches deep. Is that enough? Nothing on the table infront of me melts or gets hot now. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Amber
Old 2007-01-14, 5:12pm
William Hagy

I would guess that you are working on a hot head or a minor? I do think that 30" is a good amount of space as I run 24-45mm torches all the time with the same distance....ventilation?

~Enjoy~
Old 2007-01-14, 5:18pm
Insane? You're Insane!

I use a minor. Ventilation is our next step. Step three, kiln!
Old 2007-01-17, 7:31am
Ezzy

I use a Lynx, the written materials that were included with the torch said it should be a minimum of 4' away from the wall. I'm actually about 42" from the wall instead of the recommended 48." Even if I set my torch in a completely horizontal position pointed at the wall this is no heat buildup. If it were an issue, I'd simply place a piece of Hardibacker on the wall in front of the torch area.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2007-01-17, 9:57pm
Insane? You're Insane!

thanks!
Old 2007-01-21, 4:31am
It's all about art.

I had this same question when I started so I aimed the torch to the corner and I love it. Recycled glass storm windows line the back wall to catch flying glass.
Everything is easy to reach on my left and right. The kiln is on wheels so when I'm making beads I can pull it close behind and pop them right in.

Glass storage is on pull out trays in the cabinets. This photo was taken when new and it isn't this sterile looking now.

Barbara

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BarbaraB; 2007-01-21 at 4:38am.
Old 2007-01-22, 8:25am
Insane? You're Insane!

That looks great!