Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-07-21, 8:52am
one day at a time

Default What are the signs that a propane regulator is starting to go bad?

Just need to know what the signs are because mine is 11 years old, and it's doing weird things. Some days the flame is fine, but when it is not, it fluctuates every 15-30 seconds. The flame will get small and very slow melting, and then fire up bushy for about 1-2 seconds and back down to the wimpy flame until it fires up like that again.

The regulator itself: It is a single stage and the knob squeaks when I turn it to raise the pressure. I have always turned mine to 5, and for the last few weeks I can't get it to go above 2 psi. After I fire up the torch, I will look over at the regulator and see that the needle has moved up to 5-7, sometimes more. If I turn too much, then when the "dragon breath" happens, it rages! Makes it hard to work, of course.

Time to replace regulator?? I am pretty sure this is not my generator. I don't see any changes there. Some days the flame is fine, but I can't keep working like this.
Old 2013-07-21, 8:56am

Sounds like its time to invest in a new one...
Regulators have moving parts and parts wear out when used.
Over the 11 years, if you paid $120 for it , that comes out to be less than $1 a month...

Old 2013-07-21, 10:12am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimond View Post
Sounds like its time to invest in a new one...
Regulators have moving parts and parts wear out when used.
Over the 11 years, if you paid $120 for it , that comes out to be less than $1 a month...
Thank you for your input, but I'm quite aware that it is old and probably beginning to wear out, and what it cost me over 11 years is not the point. I don't have $120 to just drop on a new one right now. If I did, I would just order it and try it out for myself, without asking for anyone's expertise.

A couple of weeks ago I was sure the fluctuating was happening because I hooked up a new propane tank. The same thing happens every time with the dragon breath (for the last 11 years!), only this time it is not going away. If it turns out that I have to replace it, I found one on the Devardi site for 40 bucks, and I know they ship fast. It's in my current budget, and it should be good enough, even if it is not a well known brand, like Victor. The Devardi regulator has a warranty.

Edited: Never mind! I just found the right thread. A lot of knowledge here, and it does look like the problem is my regulator after all.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=54576
Old 2013-07-21, 11:06am

The first line of my reply without an explanation would have sufficed then...

That is a good deal on a reg...

Happy Happy Sunday.

Last edited by Raimond; 2013-07-21 at 11:09am.
Old 2013-07-21, 12:24pm
one day at a time

I tried to do a search on LE for this and it came up with totally unrelated topics. I hate the search on this site! Guess how I found that thread?? Google. lol!

Kimberly (kbinkster) knows a lot about these things and I wish I knew that because all I really had to do was PM her.
Old 2013-07-21, 8:35pm

What kind of regulator is it?
My local welding shop sends regulators out to be service usually in the $30-$45 range for o2 and other high pressure gas regulators.

It may just need to be cleaned, or have other basic service proformed.

Often the manufacture has instructions for trubble shooting equipment, and any thing you can do to service the equipment safely. So check the manufactures website and try contacting their customer service Email.

Some higher quality regulators have a good warrantee and customer service that would be glad to help. Smith, victor, and Harris all has some models with life time warranties.

The warranty may be voided if you modified the regulator or if solvents or others chemicals have been used.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-07-21, 9:45pm
Alaska Boro

What kind of regulator? Victor, Air Gas, etc?

Picture?
Old 2013-07-22, 9:46am
one day at a time

I tried last night and again this morning, and I can't get a picture of it because my camera won't focus. Bad lighting, I guess. I will have to wait until the new regulator comes so I can take it off and then I will get a better picture.

I can't read the label on it, the type is way too small. I don't see a name on it either, but these two letters at the bottom of the dial face, so maybe it's "TW" or "TM". I wish I could remember where I got it, like Arrow Springs, Frantz, or Sundance. One of the three...or not.

It has a brass body and it's a one stage regulator.
Old 2013-07-22, 1:52pm
Alaska Boro

An image at this point would be moot since a new one is on the way.

In hindsight, contacting a welding supply firm may have some addition input. Find that using one of the major welding supply firms for a regulator does well for purchasing a quality USA made product.

Or if desiring to take a chance, there are often listings on Craig's List for such items.

Old 2013-07-22, 4:52pm
one day at a time

I checked Amazon and ebay for the Victor brand and they are $80 and up. Arrow springs has a single stage for $30. Wow, that's cheap. I know I paid more for mine than that 11 years ago, and I think it was $65.

I'm moving soon so I really don't want to pay more than I have to. But it would be nice to have one that is USA made. I will call Arrow Springs and ask.

Last edited by Lisi; 2013-07-22 at 4:55pm.
Old 2013-07-23, 9:38am

If it was $65, has 2 gauges, is single stage, and all brass body it may have been the regulators we carry. If so it's a Premier regulator, made in the USA. Their support number is 763-786-4020, give them a call and they may be able to help you determine if it's worn or can be fixed.