No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-05-11, 6:22pm
Burning through glass

Default Opinions on the new CiM colors

I was doing a search to see what others have been doing with Heffalump and Ghee, but I didn't find much. Anyone have an opinion on these two? Heff seems very similar to Eff. Opal Lavender #221, so I was just wondering how it compares. Ghee? Is it really different from all the other yellows?
Thanks in advance!
Renee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2008-05-11, 6:36pm
Ad astra per aspera

Heffalump is VERY close to the Effetre color, but it's a smidge more intense.

Ghee is nifty. If you work it cool & gently, it stays almost the exact color on the rod, a lovely translucent buttery yellow (like yellow opalino on its best behavior). Work it a little longer and it turns kinda creamy. Work it even longer (lots of shaping and heating/cooling/reheating) and it goes dark, like browned butter, while staying fairly translucent. I'd intended to put my camera away for the day, but I'll see if I can convince myself to shoot a few pix after dinner.

Lipstick rocks. It sort of fades out to a stony, organic red (there was a Vetro odd that's similar...the red jasper one).

Old 2008-05-11, 6:53pm
Burning through glass

Wow thanks Karen! That gives me something to think about....love to see the picts too, but no rush, tomorrow will do !!
Renee

Custom Supplies:

&
Old 2008-05-11, 7:18pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post

Lipstick rocks. It sort of fades out to a stony, organic red (there was a Vetro odd that's similar...the red jasper one).
I LOVE Lipstick! It's a great burgundy red.

Old 2008-05-11, 8:49pm
Ad astra per aspera

Okay, here we go. (Dinner took a bit longer than I thought.)

First is a little lipstick bicone, wrapped with a Peace white stringer (the best white on the planet, IMO), and Effetre cobalt lapis stringer (it's a reproduction of an ancient Turkish bead).

Next is a little Heffalump test bead, dotted with rubino for contrast.

Third is my Ghee test trio. Note the color changes from the spacer to the lentil. I applied Cherry Blossom frit to the middle button and lentil. As it turned out, that was an unfortunate color choice, but I was expecting the base to come out looking like the spacer! LOL I'm not complaining, I think the richer color is cool, it was just unexpected and belongs with some different frits. Also, a single pic of the lentil, on end to show how translucent it is.
Attached Images

Old 2008-05-12, 9:12am

I love the lentil. Maybe the colors are different on my monitor but I think it's awsome.
Mary
Old 2008-05-12, 9:25am
Glass-aholic

I just got some simple berry and it is almost exactly like the effetre transparent med amethyst. I was kindda disappointed. it looks so luscious in the pics. I have not melted it yet, maybe It will be a bit different. I do love purple!!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-05-12, 9:56am
Ad astra per aspera

Thanks Mary!

I think the Simply Berry has less of a brownish undertone to it than Effetre Amethyst, but it's pretty subtle. It looks beautiful as a thin encasing over Effetre Periwinkle blue. (Seriously, if you do nothing else, make a bunch of cased stringer!) I've tried that same combination with the amethyst and it looked muddy. Real slight difference, for sure, but it's there.

Old 2008-05-13, 3:47pm

[Third is my Ghee test trio. Note the color changes from the spacer to the lentil. I applied Cherry Blossom frit to the middle button and lentil. As it turned out, that was an unfortunate color choice, but I was expecting the base to come out looking like the spacer! LOL I'm not complaining, I think the richer color is cool, it was just unexpected and belongs with some different frits. Also, a single pic of the lentil, on end to show how translucent it is.[/quote]

Unfortunate? I like it! You can send me that 'unfortunate' colour combo bead just to get it out of sight. LOL
Seriously, I like the delicacy of the cherry blossom over the dark Ghee.

Kym
Old 2008-05-13, 6:47pm
Ad astra per aspera

LOL Thanks! I guess I'll stop giving that lentil dirty looks then.

I'm still dreaming of a stable, soft pastel yellow. There's a Satake color like that and I'm totally in love with it.

Old 2008-05-13, 9:01pm
Glass-aholic

I love me some sparkley pineapple yellow!!

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-05-13, 9:32pm
Burning through glass

Karen, thanks so much for posting your images! It really gives me a visual...boy Ghee is different! Hmmm, has lots of potential given it's transparent/opaque nature Crazy how the color "matures"! I appreciate your post sooo much!! Thanks for throwing in the Lipstick bead too! I was wondering how it faired Neat color! Thanks so much!
Renee

Custom Supplies:

&

Last edited by JetAge Studio; 2008-05-13 at 9:35pm.
Old 2008-05-13, 11:33pm

[Third is my Ghee test trio. Note the color changes from the spacer to the lentil. I applied Cherry Blossom frit to the middle button and lentil. As it turned out, that was an unfortunate color choice, but I was expecting the base to come out looking like the spacer! LOL I'm not complaining, I think the richer color is cool, it was just unexpected and belongs with some different frits. Also, a single pic of the lentil, on end to show how translucent it is.[/quote]

BTW? That lentil? I saw that in person at the last meeting and it was TDF! The photo is lovely, but the bead was fabulous! It totally made me come home and order some Ghee!

But then....Karen's work always sings!

~Triscia

Last edited by Celtic Echo Designs; 2008-05-14 at 12:31am. Reason: Ummm....I'm an idiot???
Old 2008-05-14, 2:30am

I bought two of the oddlot yellows, one looked very promising...Banana ..mmm something. the one without the core. It is a nice yellow but even it is not soft enough, not creamy enough. It tends to have a brighter yellow once its torched. I wondered about the Ghee then, I think I will have to try it now after seeing those beads even if it isn't a pastel yellow after a bit of work.

Kym
Old 2008-05-14, 2:44am

Kym
The one with the core is the Yellow Banana I believe and the one without it is the Banana Creme. It does work more yellow then rod form.
The Heffalump reminds me of Bullseye Neo Lavender!
I still think my favorite beside the hades is the Sangre. That is one awesome red and reminds me of the Lauscha red transparents.
I'm selling alot of the new colors but haven't gotten any feedback yet and now have ordered 6 more new colors from CiM that should be coming in about a week or so.
I think those are going to be cool. The "Stone Ground" and the "Dirty Martini" look pretty awesome in rod form.

Old 2008-05-14, 8:44am
I love color!

I tried the Heffalump and love the pureness of the color.
I have some Sangre I plan to use in a few days.
I like the Gelly Pink, too. The CIM colors seem to stay one solid color and don't blur around (techy term).

Old 2008-05-14, 1:35pm
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Echo Designs View Post

BTW? That lentil? I saw that in person at the last meeting and it was TDF! The photo is lovely, but the bead was fabulous! It totally made me come home and order some Ghee!

But then....Karen's work always sings!

~Triscia
I'm officially blushing now. Thank you!

Old 2008-05-14, 1:38pm
Ad astra per aspera

Hades rocks my world! (LOL that sounds kinda funny.) I fell in love with Peace as the perfect white, but still had issues with Effetre black. I made a stacked dot B&W bead yesterday and it's just right! The Hades doesn't bleed to purple and the white is so clean & bright. Woohoo!

Old 2008-05-14, 3:24pm

I have some pics of some of the CiM colours on my colour website...link is here... - I don't think anyone has posted for some of the newer colours you mentioned.. if anybody wants to come post some I'd love it though!!

I really like thai orchid and lapis, and canyon de chelly... canyon de chelly is just gorgeous

I've done some beads with bordello frit that I really liked, too, on dark ivory with some purples. I think the dark purple end of this bead was simply berry (but I'm not sure, because it is so similar to some of the effetre purple transparents)

Old 2008-05-15, 6:55am
I need torch time!

Default Gellys Sty

I have been very pleased with Gellys Sty. Nice Pink! I also like Clockwork, and Simply Berry. Thus far all my playing with CIM has turned out great. I know the question was about the NEW colors, but all CIM is NEW to me.
Old 2008-05-16, 6:53am
Glass-aholic

Amy is ALL that goddess canyon de chelly? Does it do a raku thing?? Its really pretty! I did not realize that it had such a range!

Old 2008-05-16, 2:10pm
Glass my new Obsession

The clockwork looks really nice when decorated with stringers of white encased with the Cranberry PinkVery tropical looking.
I like the Elphaba used with Peace and Cranberry pink for a watermelon look.
I haven't gotten to try the newest colors yet.I wanna see what Ghee looks like on its own in a bead.Heffalump looks like a pretty color as well.
Tina

Old 2008-05-18, 8:03pm
Life is change. Love it

Here are some beads with the newest colours

First is Dusk - gorgeous as a white core and etched

Next is Clockwork - great as a base for silver glass, Psyche in this case

Heffalump with Psyche and silvered ivory, encased

Ghee, an experimental bead with Psyche . This glass reacts beautifully with silver glass colours

CIM colours are my most favourite glass colours!

Old 2008-05-18, 8:11pm
Entropy increasing....

I love the opals.

And the Canyon which I call Crayon for some reason.

And the Hades.

And the rose quartz.

I need to make some beads.
Old 2008-05-20, 10:16pm
Burning through glass

Carolyn, that dusk set is gorgeous!!
Thanks everyone for posting the wonderful picts!! I just ordered a little Heff for myself..we'll see how it goes!
Cheers!
Renee Wiggins

Custom Supplies:

&
Old 2008-05-21, 12:06am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
I love the opals.

And the Canyon which I call Crayon for some reason.

And the Hades.

And the rose quartz.

I need to make some beads.
thats funny I call it... cyanne (as in peppers) lol

Old 2008-05-21, 7:24am
Ad astra per aspera

Carolyn, you make Ghee glow! That's gorgeous!

Didja all see the announcement for the new colors??? I want some Kryptonite and Chalcedony! Pink Champagne is intriguing too. Oh, hell, outta denial, I want them all! I'm so glad to see more blues and greens.

Go, Kathy, Go!

Old 2008-05-21, 1:11pm

Carolyn those are fabulous! I am especially selling a lot of the Ghee and Heffalump but have not been able to melt them myself yet..

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-05-21, 6:30pm
Salt Box Beads

Here are some of my test beads for Kathy....and my fav new colors.

I love the clockwork, etched it looks like a true persimmon color. The reds are Sangre...just beautiful! As you can see it loves frit!!

Then we have clear..I have beads that look like the clear is not even there and the frit is just floating...her clear is KILLER!
More Sangre with one etched next to it.

Then there is the lapis etched also..very nice and then the Thai orchid in the middle which did some bluish swirls and got some metallic pink ..a teensy tiny bit which I can see more in person. I have not had time to really play...someday soon I hope.

I also loved the peace. First nice non drippy stay white...white.
Lorraine
Attached Images

Old 2008-05-21, 8:06pm
Burning through glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
Carolyn, you make Ghee glow! That's gorgeous!

Didja all see the announcement for the new colors??? I want some Kryptonite and Chalcedony! Pink Champagne is intriguing too. Oh, hell, outta denial, I want them all! I'm so glad to see more blues and greens.

Go, Kathy, Go!
Ok, so there's new NEW colors now?!! Holy Sh*t! Where did you see this announcement?....my search techniques must be lacking! I'll keep looking!
-R

Custom Supplies:

&