Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-01-01, 7:47am
Now part of the Dark Side

Default Cutting large diameter rod

I can get the score and snap technique to work on rod sizes up to 15mm, how to you cut larger rod sizes say 20mm+, in the flame?
Old 2014-01-01, 8:13am

score deep and straight, dap of water in the crack then apply a drop of white hot boro from a 8mm rod or so. should "pop".
Old 2014-01-01, 9:32am
Borovangelist

I heat it, use diamond shears, then round the end so it doesn't crack as easily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2014-01-02, 11:24am
Now part of the Dark Side

Thanks, guys. I guess I need a heavier duty scriber than I have, it makes a fairly fine and shallow scribe, I would assume that the scribe and dab method would work on large diameter tubing as well. I do however, have a set of diamond shears so I'll try that method out next time I'm at the torch.
Old 2014-01-02, 12:12pm
ManBearPig

I score it all the way around, hold it with a hand at each end, and then give it a chest bump. Usually cracks right in half.

Old 2014-01-02, 5:57pm
szglassy

I almost do the same as Cosmo except I use the edge of my bench.
It's almost never a clean break there is usually a shard hanging off the end.
Also,it makes a mess so sweep up fright after cutting and always wear safety goggles.
Old 2014-01-02, 8:08pm
Playing with Fire!

For 30 ml and above we use a wet diamond saw.

Playing with Fire!
Old 2014-01-02, 11:21pm

I have issues cutting anything bigger than 15mm. With the 20mm I have for marble stock has to be scored deep all the way around and will not always break clean and it needs a good pull snapping motion that I seem to be able to do for about three times in a row than I loose my strength. lol You do need to be careful as I cut myself doing this last week not bad but I needed a bandaid.
I do have to share that a couple of years ago when I need a piece cut and it would not break even with water and a drop of molton glass so out of frustration I took a hammer to it. Ha ha it wasn't pretty but it was smaller.

Old 2014-01-05, 10:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by szglassy View Post
I almost do the same as Cosmo except I use the edge of my bench.
It's almost never a clean break there is usually a shard hanging off the end.
Also,it makes a mess so sweep up fright after cutting and always wear safety goggles.
Yup. Up to 20mm I score using a wheeled tool and then rap against the bench edge. For 1" I use a wet saw as well.
Old 2014-01-05, 10:56am

I will try the edge of the bench