Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2014-04-10, 7:40am
addicted to dichro

Default Hothead to cricket, trying to learn how to get a reduction flame?

I've done a number of searches looking for basics on flame chemistry and can't seem to find much, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be great.

I can't figure out how to get a nice reduction flame on my cricket. Do I actually turn the oxygen completely off? What part of the flame should I have the bead in? When I do manage to get the bead to reduce I lose it immediately before I can encase, etc. Or I'm reducing way to much and getting black scum. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-04-10, 9:39am

I use a Piranha with a 5 lpm oxycon. The flame is pretty much limited by the oxygen, so I set oxygen to 5 lpm and adjust the flame with the propane. The neutral flame has about 3/8" blue candles with tiny (1/16" maybe) yellow tips. For a reducing flame I increase the propane until the candles are yellow and about 2 to 3 inches long, and spin the bead in the yellow candles. For a heavy reduction I also reduce the oxygen (but do not turn it completely off) to get the big dragon breath and spin the bead in the outer half of the yellow candles. Double Helix has several video tutorials on reducing that may help you, including one on encasing. http://www.doublehelixglassworks.com...tutorials.aspx
Old 2014-04-10, 11:45am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi_B View Post
I use a Piranha with a 5 lpm oxycon. The flame is pretty much limited by the oxygen, so I set oxygen to 5 lpm and adjust the flame with the propane. The neutral flame has about 3/8" blue candles with tiny (1/16" maybe) yellow tips. For a reducing flame I increase the propane until the candles are yellow and about 2 to 3 inches long, and spin the bead in the yellow candles. For a heavy reduction I also reduce the oxygen (but do not turn it completely off) to get the big dragon breath and spin the bead in the outer half of the yellow candles. Double Helix has several video tutorials on reducing that may help you, including one on encasing. http://www.doublehelixglassworks.com...tutorials.aspx
What she said. Leave the oxy alone and turn up the propane. When you encase, keep the bead out of the flame so that you don't oxidate and lose the reduction effects.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-04-10, 11:48am

Although it's not a Cricket, this will give you a good idea:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqCPyAi68mE

Old 2014-04-11, 6:12am
addicted to dichro

Thanks so much everyone!