LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-05-01, 1:22pm

Default how the heck do you cut murrini?

I have the correct nippers, I have the wheeled nippers. I've scored it first. How the hell do you cut a slice off a murrini rod? I made a nemo and I can't make slices to but in my work. I have pretty much ruined the little rod I made trying to cut it. Again, I do have the nippers that are made to do this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need custom made price tags? Check out my friend
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
! Mention my name.
I LOVE these cards, plus they make life a little easier when getting ready for shows!

Old 2007-05-01, 1:26pm
ManBearPig

I cut them with the regular wheel nippers.

Another way to use them without cutting is to melt one end to a rod (so you have a way to hold it) then let it cool or pop it into the kiln. Once cool, make the bead you are going to use it on. Spot heat the place you want the murrini to be, stick the rod to it, and let it cool. Wiggle it back and forth and it will break off leaving a "slice" of the murrini behind.

Old 2007-05-01, 1:54pm
Button Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I cut them with the regular wheel nippers.

Another way to use them without cutting is to melt one end to a rod (so you have a way to hold it) then let it cool or pop it into the kiln. Once cool, make the bead you are going to use it on. Spot heat the place you want the murrini to be, stick the rod to it, and let it cool. Wiggle it back and forth and it will break off leaving a "slice" of the murrini behind.
What a great method!!! I also have a heck of a time nipping them off. I think it's just a personal thing. I've never seen any one else's method, so I just keep fussing with it. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong in my technique.

Barbara
Old 2007-05-01, 2:03pm

I saw some place that if you put a metal washer or two with a hole about the size of the rod on the table and put it in that to cut it.
I have not tried yet but need too.
Cosmo's way sounds good.Will it work for boro?
Boro is what I need to slice.
G.
Old 2007-05-01, 2:06pm
Satake Woman!

I've started making murrini big enough it won't fit in the nippers so I ended up getting a diamond wet saw. (thanks Ro!)

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2007-05-01, 2:54pm
Gay rights R human rights

Could you use the diamond discs on a dremel tool? I think you would have to use some sort of cooling agent but do you think that would work? I have avoided cutting up my single rods of these colours in fear that I would screw them up.
Old 2007-05-01, 7:26pm

Evie,

You have the right tool, you just need a technique. Practice on a regular glass rod. There is no need to score the rod. Center the rod between the wheels of the nipper and Squeeze quickly. The chip will fly off, into a box where it is aimed. Wear protective eyeware and don't try to make too thin a chip at first.

Steve

Old 2007-05-01, 7:50pm
novembersfyre everywhere

This is the best tip I have ever seen for cutting millis with disc nippers:

http://www.beadsbymavis.com/mm5/merc...gory_Code=Tips

Scroll down to where it says Make the Most of Your Millis and be sure to click on the link where it says image.

It does work!