Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2013-09-04, 10:56am

Default BOC really needs your beads now!

I just had a wonderful conversation today with Ashley Ethridge with Beads of Courage, and me being as nosy as ever I asked her if there was anything special they needed in the way of beads. She said that right now they are out of Act of Courage beads...meaning they have none to send out. She told me that when you get 30 beads ready, please send them in. They stay at headquarters 24 hours (or less) before they are on their way to the hospitals.

Also, she said the kids love peace signs, so if you want to make something they are really asking for these days, peace signs are it. They are easy to make with stringer, but if you want a stamp you can get this from Karen Leonardo and add a peace sign to just about anything.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BOC really needs your beads now, so please send in whatever you can. Oh, and she also said the kiddos are crazy for bumpy beads, anything encased in clear and polka dots. The boys love darker or bright colors and odd shapes.

Thanks tons! I think I'll be making peace signs this weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-09-04, 11:37am
what's a senior moment ?

This is all I have right now. Life has gotten in the way lately so these didn't get mailed yet and no torch time in about a week give or take. Hopefully I can torch again VERY soon.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
These are in the mail tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-09-04, 11:57am

Oh,how wonderful! I think for a lot of beadmakers right now the weather is just too hot to be able to spend much time in their studios, but hopefully with cooler weather coming we'll all have more time to make beads without melting.

Love, love, love the smiles with the green teeth!

Old 2013-09-04, 12:39pm
what's a senior moment ?

Yeah, it's back to the heat and humidity here east of Atlanta. Yuk but we've had a fairly cool summer for being in the south.
Thanks for the compliment on the green teeth. They're fun to make.

Next torch session I'll make what you suggest in your post. I'm a child of the 60's afterall so the peace sign is right up my alley ! lol !

Old 2013-09-04, 2:38pm
Loving learning

I was counting last night, and have 42. I was going to put this weekend's in & mail on Monday, but I could mail tomorrow if that is better, then begin a new bowl.
Old 2013-09-07, 7:45am
Loving learning

Packing them up to head to the post office right now.

And just in case anyone needs the link to the donation form:

Last edited by Eileen; 2013-09-07 at 7:47am.
Old 2013-09-07, 8:19am

Yea! They will be so happy to see them.

Old 2013-09-07, 8:41am
what's a senior moment ?

Cool beads Eileen ! Do I see a couple Superman beads in there ?

It was nice and cool this morning so my goal was 15 bumpy beads - they're in the kiln now.
Suppose to be in the 60's again tomorrow morning EARLY.

Old 2013-09-07, 12:48pm
Loving learning

Nice day's work!
Yes, there are some SM beads in there, but I can't seem to get them to look as good as the first one I did - at least in memory it was better, but long gone now so who knows!

I don't have the best stringer control, but I'm trying, and I hope the kids are not too critical.
Old 2013-09-08, 11:37am
what's a senior moment ?

Stringer control - what's that ??
I too need a lot of practice there. Oh well.................................
I think the kids will LOVE all the those beads.

I have another 15 in the kiln now. whew.
Will show pic tomorrow before packing them up to send off.

Old 2013-09-08, 12:28pm
Loving learning

Can't wait to see. I like seeing BOC beads, it revs me up to make more
Old 2013-09-08, 6:12pm
Practice makes perfect?

Default 120 beads on their way

All packed up and ready to pop into the mail tomorrow. This was just the push I needed to get them all cleaned.

I don't want to brag or make anyone jealous or anything, but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.
Old 2013-09-08, 6:13pm
Loving learning

Woo Hoo Karen!!!
Old 2013-09-09, 11:57am
what's a senior moment ?

Yay Karen ! Would love to see a picture.

Well, here's what I did the last two mornings. A total of 30 beads here and most all are bumpies ! lol ! There are about 15 more beads in the kiln that will be packed as well so they'll all be in the mail tomorrow I hope.
I have to say, I've been inspired the last couple of days.

Old 2013-09-09, 1:55pm
Loving learning

Nice batch Debbie, the kids sure will be happy to see those.
Old 2013-09-09, 3:07pm

Oh yes, all those bumps and bright colors. They will love them all!

Old 2013-09-09, 3:10pm

I posted this photo on my Facebook page but thought I'd add it here too. These beads are on their way to a BOC event here in the Houston area on Sept. 28th.

Old 2013-09-09, 3:28pm
Loving learning

Oh Diane, those are great! And remind me that I forgot to do a few peace signs today, but will try to remember next time.
Old 2013-09-10, 3:37am
what's a senior moment ?

Your beads are perfection Diane ! The kids will love every one of them.
I tried a few peace signs and I think my problem was the base bead was too small to begin with. Will make a bigger bead next time.

Old 2013-09-10, 5:53am

Thanks Eileen and Debbie. I used a one inch straight sided lentil. It's such a good size for BOC and gives you enough room to play with.

Now I just need to practice drawing circles with stringer.

Old 2013-09-10, 6:59am
Loving learning

And here I was thinking how nice your circles are, and despairing over what mine will look like!
Old 2013-09-10, 11:34am
what's a senior moment ?

I have a 1" lentil press so will try that next time for the peace signs. Ummm, Diane, if you need to practice circles with stringer, then there is no hope for me either !

Well, here's the last of the beadies I can send off for now. There are 13 of them here so all totaled with the others they'll get 43 this go round. There are a few critter beads on the right but hard to tell that's what they are since they are standing up. lol ! Getting my feet wet with critters again and having fun doing it.
The lion face needs work so will keep tweeking that.

Last edited by dla; 2013-09-10 at 11:37am.
Old 2013-09-10, 4:09pm
Loving learning

Yea, more pretties for the kiddies!
Old 2013-09-11, 6:37am

Great job, Ya'all!
Old 2013-09-16, 12:57pm
Got Honey?

I sent a bag of 50 beads last week and these will be going out this week

These are from the ebook and going along with a bunch of others - 40 total!
Attached Images

Old 2013-09-16, 1:25pm
Loving learning

Such cute beads for the kids!

I hope that between those of us sending in recently and the studio torching sessions on Saturday they are catching up to demand.
Old 2013-09-16, 2:03pm
what's a senior moment ?

So cute Lezlie ! I want to try the polar bear one of these days. He's so cute.
I hope so too Eileen.
I have 28 ready to go and about 10 more in the kiln now.

Old 2013-09-16, 2:04pm
Loving learning

I've got a new bowl started, only 4 in it so far, but I'll keep adding till I get enough to send another box.

Also, I'm faster with the plainer beads, so I've got two "cute" and two regular colorful but not objects. I am torn as to what to make.
Old 2013-09-16, 2:20pm
Got Honey?

Thanks! The polar bears took me a bit of practice but I finally got them figured out so they don't have a big 'ole bum LOL

Old 2013-09-16, 3:55pm

Wow Debbie and Lezlie, your beads are amazing. I love seeing what everyone is doing with the tutorials; putting their own twist on the beads. Beads of Courage is going to be so happy to see these boxes arrive.