Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-04-03, 4:13pm

Default Val Cox frits

I am thinking of putting a first time order for some frit from Val Cox. Does anyone know the weight of a full jar. The site does not mention it and I would like to know before putting an order in.
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

e-mail:
Old 2013-04-03, 5:04pm
The Andrea Half

I'd just email her and ask; she's really nice.

FWIW, my sister (who also makes frit) sends out jars that hold 1/2, 1, or 2 ounces of product. (I spend a lot of time over Christmas holidays enjoying hanging out with her -- she measures out and makes the blends, and I weigh out the resulting blend and put it into the right jars.) From the quantities Val lists, coupled with her prices, I suspect a jar costing $14 is around 4 ounces; a jar costing $4 might be an ounce to half an ounce. However, you will have to ask her!

Old 2013-04-03, 5:04pm
Salt Box Beads

The weight varies depending on what glass is used to make the colors due to the different ingredients that have different weights.

You can have 2 Tlbs. each of different blends or single colors and they will weigh differently.
Old 2013-04-03, 5:14pm
I fart diamonds

Pssssst. There's a frit buy going on...

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...wpost&t=242906

Old 2013-04-03, 5:14pm
The Andrea Half

Exactly. You have to ask if the frit is being sold by volume or weight. Leslie does hers by weight, but it is perfectly good to sell by volume, too. I don't know which method Val uses, but, as I said, just email her; she's really great

You can also most definitely have different prices per unit of sale depending on the glass used. One blend may cost more per until than another .... because it has reactive glass, or lots of pink, or another more expensive glass.

Old 2013-04-03, 5:23pm

Thank you both. I am interested in raku frit and a couple of others but was not sure what you got for $15.00. I thought I might get a quicker answer here. Andrea, if you give me a link I would like to check out your sisters frit also.
Thanks again:
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-04-03, 5:55pm
Lampworkaholic!

This is the explanation I use in my frit store.

Quote:
Frit weights differ somewhat based on the metal oxides used as colorants. A standard "2 oz, jar" holds approximately 42 to 60 grams and a standard "4 oz. jar" holds approximately 85 to 120 grams.
Hope this helps.

Liz

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-04-03, 7:28pm

Four ounces is a reasonable ballpark for Val's jars. It's a nice amount of frit. I took part in one of Shawnette's frit buys several years ago and it was awesome, but Val has a real knack for blends.
Old 2013-04-04, 10:58am

If you are looking for help on which blend(s) to choose, I have done loads of experimenting with Val Cox frits and documented the results with photos, etc - I have info on my website here: http://www.twoglassyladies.ca/tgl/?page_id=165

I am a huge fan of Val Cox frit. The $15 jar definitely goes a long way in my experience and I make LOADS of frit beads.

Old 2013-04-04, 11:10am

From the website (FAQ section):

Since each frit color weighs differently, depending on the metal oxides it contains, Val Cox Frit is sold by volume, not by weight. The standard jar is two inches wide and one and a half inches high. It holds 2 fluid ounces, by volume.
The average weight of that amount of frit is around 4 ounces; consequently, it is sometimes called a 4oz jar.

The half-jar is half the size and holds half the amount. Roughly, two rounded tablespoons of frit.

The sample bag holds one level tablespoon.
Old 2013-04-04, 12:03pm
The Andrea Half

Leslie is That Frit Girl, but please check out Val's stuff first -- I didn't mention her to poach a customer, and Val and Leslie have worked very well together

Old 2013-04-04, 1:47pm

Thank you every one. Andrea, I never thought you were pushing your sister and you were very generous in you help about the val Cox frit. I do fusing with system 96 and am set up to make my own frit with left over scrap. I am interested in playing around with Raku frit and DH rods. I am also interested in buying rods in the group buy that Shawnette mentioned, if I can ever figure out what to buy there.
Bob

e-mail: