LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-07-08, 8:07am

Question SIS made from stringers...how to?

OK...read a great suggestion here (now I can't find it) to buy ivory stringers to make SIS. I'm looking at 2 lbs of stringer and can't fingure out how to wrap the silver. All I get is a glob that is more trouble than pulling the stringer from rods. Made perfect sense when I was ordering the stringer.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(website in construction)
Old 2006-07-08, 8:17am
Llama llama duck

Not a clue hon. I'll be watching this space for an answer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tink doesn't wear PANTIES......stupid little pixie.
-Kendra
Old 2006-07-08, 9:08am

I've never heard of making sis from the premade ivory stringers. I use a rod of ivory, heat to a nice sized blob (gather) on the end, wrap in foil, burnish in, then reheat the gather and pull the stringer from that.
I'll be interested to see if anyone does it from the stringers.

Susan

Old 2006-07-08, 9:14am
Fire Diva

Oh, I really do not think using stringers to make stringers is the way to go...unless you don't mind melting a lot of stringers together or having hair thin stringers.

I suggest going back to the rod method...heat a blob of ivory...roll in the silver..burnish...heat again...then pull your stringers.

Old 2006-07-08, 9:15am
Honey Badger

I just read this in the tutorials section as a part of the dragon scales tutorial:

PREP - make the Silvered Ivory stringer before you begin - The best way to make SIS for these beads is take a full-size, pre-manufactured Ivory stringer and wrap it in silver leaf then burnish it against the stringer to adhese. Make four or five of these as you will go through them quickly. Do not pull a stringer from a rod wrapped in silver leaf - it doesn't work.

Perhaps this is where you read about it?

Old 2006-07-08, 10:06am
moth to the flame

I puy my silver sheet on my graphite marver and rolled the ivory stringer on it to adhere.

The I melted the silver in but I kept it high in the flame so I wouldn't get the stringer too hot.

I then used a thick stringer of clear to encase.

The tricky part again for me was trying not to get the ivory stringer too hot while encasing before pulling.

HTH

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2006-07-08, 10:41am
Bead Chick

Dona,

I'm curious why you encase? (I never have, and I wondered why one would or wouldn't)

Is it because you don't want the reaction from SIS?

Cheers,
Karin

Old 2006-07-08, 10:44am
moth to the flame

Hi Karin,
Yes.
The tut I found was for pretty brown vines made with the encased silvered ivory. The encased silver stays non reactive and I love the variegated brown vine look!

Old 2006-07-08, 10:44am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Yep - this is how I do it. Heat the tip of the stringer, then roll it on using a marver or other flat surface.

Once you have it on, flash it in the flame, then burnish on the marver so the silver is nice and tight against the stringer.

Then use.

Fay, it's not for thin lines. It's for more silver in dots and such. I still do it the traditional way - wrap a full-size rod in silver if I want thin stringer.

Am

Last edited by *Naos*; 2006-07-08 at 10:46am.
Old 2006-07-08, 10:47am
moth to the flame

Here is the link for the Tutorial and a pic of what it (SIS encased) looks like.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=22964

Old 2006-07-08, 10:47am
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos*
Yep - this is how I do it. Heat the tip of the stringer, then roll it on using a marver or other flat surface.

Once you have it on, flash it in the flame, then burnish on the marver so the silver is nice and tight against the stringer.

Then use.

Fay, it's not for thin lines. It's for more silver in dots and such. I still do it the traditional way - wrap a full-size rod in silver if I want thin stringer.

Am
Amber, this is for the scale beads, yes?

Old 2006-07-08, 11:10am
Fire Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos*

Then use.

Am
Cool! Another technique to add to my bag o'tricks. Thank you for sharing. I did not read the dragon scales tutorial so I had no clue. I just use the traditional way and pull the stringer the diameter I am after...1 mm, 2 mm, 3 mm, etc. I love different ways to get to the same result. Thanks again.

Old 2006-07-08, 9:45pm

Moondanse....Yep, that is the one! Thanks!!!

(website in construction)
Old 2006-07-10, 8:23am
Feverish Little Minx

Does it matter if you use silver leaf or silver foil?

I'm all out of clever.