Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-12-14, 10:00pm
Borovangelist

Default heated floor mat

Does anyone use something like this?

http://www.allmats.com/site/439205/page/409830

It sounds good, but I'd be worried about accidentally dropping hot glass on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2008-12-14, 10:16pm

I'm looking for something and this looks infinitely better than the battery powered socks - they took a "D" size battery each! Can you imagine hauling those puppies around?

Old 2008-12-15, 6:06am
Borovangelist

Why not a slightly more low tech solution? Sams and BJs sells display cases full of those chemical hand warmers. You could get them and stuff them under an insole of your shoe or in the ankle of your socks.

Not only would D batteries be heavy but they wouldn't last very long

|
|
Old 2008-12-15, 6:19am
Happiness is....

how bout a bulk buy??? j/k, lol
that's what I keep forgetting is the warmer thingys in my shoes, boots.

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2008-12-15, 7:40am
are we there yet?

Here is something that I've been thinking about . . . . similar but a bit different.

http://www.target.com/Toasty-Toes-He...Fwarmer&page=1

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well make beads. jazz
Old 2008-12-15, 7:58am

Friends of ours bought a house with a rural property with a heated driveway...can you say huge energy bill???

A heated mat seems waaaay more environmentally friendly to me than throwaway hand warmers or battery powered socks etc. (as far as the "toss away factor). You can buy reusable squeezable hand warmers, though, at Lee Valley ( http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...=2,40725,45454 ).

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2008-12-15, 8:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz's glass View Post
Here is something that I've been thinking about . . . . similar but a bit different.

http://www.target.com/Toasty-Toes-He...Fwarmer&page=1
That would work well for me...my feet often don't touch the floor! Also, it would be good for people's backs as it would keep the joints at the pelvis and the knees at a good angle (terribly worded, but I hope it makes sense ) .

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2008-12-15, 1:24pm
Borovangelist

My problem is I stand for almost the entire time I'm at the torch only occasionally sitting down when I'm doing something long and repetitive (like melting down an implosion). Otherwise the thing at Target looks pretty spiffy.

|
|
Old 2008-12-15, 2:16pm
are we there yet?

ahh, well how about something like this:

http://www.rewci.com/delonghihp1500micapanelheater.html

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well make beads. jazz
Old 2008-12-15, 6:14pm

Location: Im in Lawrenceburg TN .. about 1 1/2 south of Nashville

why not lay a couple of 12 inch tiles over it menty ?

"If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."*John Irving*

Old 2008-12-15, 6:56pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
Why not a slightly more low tech solution? Sams and BJs sells display cases full of those chemical hand warmers. You could get them and stuff them under an insole of your shoe or in the ankle of your socks.

Not only would D batteries be heavy but they wouldn't last very long
You can reuse these, some where I have a buncn that need to be recharged
Old 2008-12-15, 9:16pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz's glass View Post
ahh, well how about something like this:

http://www.rewci.com/delonghihp1500micapanelheater.html
I have one kind of like this that's fantastic for my bald spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkys View Post
why not lay a couple of 12 inch tiles over it menty ?
Hmm..that's not a bad idea

|
|
Old 2008-12-15, 10:44pm
I'm meeeeelting

Quote:
Sams and BJs sells display cases full of those chemical hand warmers. You could get them and stuff them under an insole of your shoe or in the ankle of your socks.
They make toe warmers that are similar to the chemical hand warmers but they have adhesive on the backs so they'll stay put in the toes of your shoes and boots. I've used them for skiing and football games. You can usually find them anywhere that carries ski stuff.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2008-12-23, 3:02am

I use one and I love it. In the winter my feet were always freezing off and this directs heat right to them. I'm not sure where I bought it though it looks the same as on the website you were asking about.

piranha/1 concentrator
Old 2008-12-23, 4:47am

I would use the floor mat and cover it with a piece of leather.
Old 2009-01-07, 10:10am
JOAT, Master of None

http://www.target.com/Cozy-Legs-Radi...28&pf_rd_t=201 What about the heater panel? You could put it infront of your feet, and not worry about dropping hot glass on it? pretty cool!
Old 2009-01-07, 10:40am
Borovangelist

very tempting

|
|
Old 2009-01-08, 7:17am
Ezzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice View Post
Friends of ours bought a house with a rural property with a heated driveway...can you say huge energy bill???
We have a radiant heat floor in our bathroom, it's so warm and toasty that the dogs just love laying on it. In terms of electricity, it really didn't add that much to the bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
They make toe warmers that are similar to the chemical hand warmers but they have adhesive on the backs so they'll stay put in the toes of your shoes and boots. I've used them for skiing and football games. You can usually find them anywhere that carries ski stuff.
You can buy these at Costco by they case and they are pretty inexpensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
I would use the floor mat and cover it with a piece of leather.
I once dropped a hot glob of glass on the floor, it went through the carpet it in less time than you could count to three and the only thing that stopped it was the concrete pad. I think leather would be just as ineffective. I think Hardybacker or some similar cementatious board would be a much better solution and would probably work as well as tile which is wonderful lovely toasty when heated (as the dogs can attest).

This might be overkill, but you can buy a small pad at Home Depot or Lowe's and permanently install it at your workstation if it's something you never intend to move. Turn it on when you heat up your kiln and it would also actually help warm the entire space. I just mention this because I'm sure there are some people out there like my husband who is the King of Overkill.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Last edited by PixieFireBeads; 2009-01-08 at 7:22am.
Old 2009-01-11, 6:58pm
Common Lurker

Yep, same heated mat I use in the garage studio during the winter here in Chicagoland. Doesn't get super 'hot' but it is enough to keep my feet and lower legs from getting really cold. It's far enough under my table that I haven't dropped any hot glass directly on it.

Old 2009-01-15, 6:11pm

i use a space heater UNDER my workbench. Heats my feet and legs up very nicely! And because its UNDER the bench no hot glass can fall on it. Plus mine has a timer that I can set and then forget!

and also ......