Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-03-02, 8:21pm

Default Painting etched Glass?

I've seen that there are those who etch and paint their lampwork for color using oil paints. Is there something that you use to keep the color from rubbing off? A sealant of some sort? Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-03-03, 9:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcoles View Post
I've seen that there are those who etch and paint their lampwork for color using oil paints. Is there something that you use to keep the color from rubbing off? A sealant of some sort? Thanks!
Usually the painting technique is only used for non functional glass work i.e. sculpture, so paint rubbing off isn't an issue. I even know some of the boro guys rub WD40 on the frosted glass to give it a more translucent glow. I wouldn't put any paint on an item that could be worn, because eventually the wear will show. That being said, you may be able to use renaissance wax or carnuba wax. Heck, turtle wax may work.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-03-03, 10:04am
The Battle of Boro Boro

They do make a carnuba wax based sealing compound rub for stained glass which might work...but as e.mort mentioned I'm sure it isn't meant to guard against wear. Still, might work.

http://www.glasscrafters.biz/CTGY/chem

Last edited by SleepyCreekGlass; 2010-03-03 at 10:07am.
Old 2010-03-03, 10:28am

The paint holds better on sandblasted glass than on etched. If you look at the surfaces closely (as in scanning electron microscopy) you'll see that there are lots of little tiny fractures in the sandblasted surface that hold the paint very tightly inside the top surface layer. An etched surface is roughened, but there are no fissures for the paint to soak into and it doesn't tend to hold on quite to well.

Robert
Old 2010-03-03, 5:39pm

Thanks for the info!

Old 2010-03-04, 11:10am

The image on the left is transparent blue and ivory that have been etched. The blue is on the left side of the image and you can see that they don't etch the same. It's enough texture to scatter the light that falls on it, but that's about all. The scale bar is 10 micrometers. The image on the right is of a sandblasted surface. It's at a higher magnification (scale = 10 micrometers), but it's what I have on hand at the moment. You can see how the sandblasted surface would have much more texture for paint to attach to than the etched surface.

Robert
Old 2010-03-04, 3:18pm
Normal is Boring!!

Well Mr. Robert did you just happen to have a SEM on hand? cheap toy to have in your glass lab! LOL

Thanks for the photos- you are awesome- it answered a question in my head for me! thank you for the visual.

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2010-03-04, 3:34pm

Thank you, Robert!!! Quite the education you just gave me...appreciate it!

Old 2010-03-04, 6:09pm

Actually, I do have an SEM in my lab and it comes in very handy from time to time. I took those pictures after a discussion of glass painting that I had with Tink & John a couple of years ago. Pictures often explain these things in a way that words fail.

Robert
Old 2010-03-05, 11:06am
funny mofo

This is an interesting thread. I had planned to paint some boro pieces I'm making, but if I'm reading correctly, the paint won't stick to non-etched/sandblasted boro, and will stick best to sandblasted. Do you know of any way to paint plain ol' boro? Maybe paint mixed with glass glue? I thought paint was such a fantastic idea for something that would be really hard to back with color due to the size, but now I"m thinking maybe not.
Old 2010-03-05, 11:37am

I have limited experience with painting glass without firing it afterwards. I suspect that mixing paint with glass glue would not hold long-term because the adhesive gets thinned out. Maybe putting a pure pigment in would be different from a dilution perspective, but the glass glue that I use is UV cured and pigments would probably have an effect on curing. Someone out there has probably tried it, though, and I'd be interested to know the result myself.

Robert
Old 2010-03-05, 11:58am
funny mofo

Oh, so there is a paint that can be used for boro if it's fired afterwards?
Old 2010-03-05, 12:05pm

Paradise Paints, maybe? They fire to high gloss at around 1300F. I've seen them used with BE but not boro. The firing temp seems to be in range, though.

Robert