No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2008-07-30, 7:30pm
Living out Loud

Default Torching during a storm.

Whenever there is a storm outside, I stop torching. Am I being a wimp or is this the right thing to do?

Thanks.
Old 2008-07-30, 7:49pm
The Andrea Half

I don't know if oyu are being a wimp or not, but I do the same thing, so we're either wimps or prudent lampworkers together

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-07-30, 8:12pm
Borovangelist

The way I see it the house is just as likely to be hit as my outbuilding shop. I just hate going from the shop to the house in the lightning.

|
|
Old 2008-07-31, 10:40am

If your ventilation is working, what would be the difference?
(other than the power going out?)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-07-31, 11:29am
used to be Moretti 4REAL!

Power going out is the issue here with me, along with potentially frying my kiln controller.... which would be bad. so, even though last sunday was cool enough to torch, and rainy, there were really bad thunderboomers that cycled through the area and knocked out my power and fried a vcr.

Not worth risking my stuff to mother nature's whims, imho.

-Angela
Old 2008-07-31, 11:33am

I usually stop so I don't have to turn off my tank in the rain. I'm also never sure if the lightening will hit the house (I'm on the Penobscot River & lightening can get hairy here) & burn out anything. I t*h*i*n*k I have a sure protector on the kiln... must doublecheck when I get home. If so, power surges wouldn't be that risky but when I turn my tank off, it's 2 trips outside. One to turn off the tank. Go inside, burn off the fuel in the line and then the second trip back outside to loosen the PA Screw.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2008-07-31, 11:51am

Location: Im in Lawrenceburg TN .. about 1 1/2 south of Nashville

I stop .. just cuz I love to watch a storm !

"If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."*John Irving*

Old 2008-08-02, 6:49pm

I always stop torching when it storms. To many unpredictable variables that can go
wrong, that and I hate lightening. It doesn't make for an enjoyable lampwork session if
I'm jumping out of my skin with every lightening strike.