Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-09-25, 5:25am
Another band aid pleeeze

Default Turning Ivory black

All,
I have come to shy away from putting any reducing color on Effetre Ivory because I get so disappointed when I end up with a black bead. However, some of you seem to manage to produce beauties that have some of the silver - and in particular, reducing - glasses along with Ivory.
If you don't mind: which reduction glasses have you successfully combined with Ivory?
Thanks!
Stefanie
Old 2015-09-25, 7:53am

Triton and Aurae by Double Helix have worked well for me. Ivory is extremely reactive. I know there are people here who know way more than I do on the subject, so hopefully they will post with more ideas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-09-25, 6:30pm
Slogan Challenged...

are you using dark or light ivory. I find the dark eats my silver glass quite easily and it is harder to get the effects. But in small quantities it can be better for silver glass reactions.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2015-09-25, 6:32pm
Another band aid pleeeze

I've never actually paid attention to whether one is more of a culprit than the other. I'll try both over the weekend and check out the difference.
Old 2015-09-25, 6:53pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I use silver glass sparingly with ivory. I will use ivory over a base color with a silver color on top as in when you're making a dotted bead. The reaction is slight, but quite lovely. I guess it just depends how much silver color you're using with ivory. You either use it sparingly, don't melt it down completely into the bead, or watch your heat and work cooler. The more heat you use, the uglier it will get.

Ebay:
Old 2015-09-25, 7:14pm

I have successfully used psyche, iris, kronos, triton, and probably others as surface decoration on dark ivory-both raised and melted in without difficulty. The more heat and time in the flame the darker it can get.

Georgia
Old 2015-09-26, 5:35pm
Another band aid pleeeze

Thank you both - I think you likely hit on the issue: I am working long, and probably too hot as well.
Appreciate it greatly,
Best,
Stefanie
Old 2015-09-27, 7:39pm
It's all about the color.

My charts can probably help here. Here are the ones for Double Helix. The glass here is tested as a frit, and the tests are done on a HotHead, but you can see which ones will react with Ivory. If it shows a reaction on my chart, it will be a more pronounced reaction given the higher heat and time.
http://listen-up.org/kitty/beads/frit/dh.htm

I'm in the middle of a bedroom redo, but I only have 1 more bead to make and then pictures to take before the charts on this page will be replaced with updated ones that show the reduction better.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2015-09-28, 5:59pm
Another band aid pleeeze

Thank you!