Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-12-12, 5:05pm

Default Minor for Boro?

Hi.. I just ordered some boro shorts and now am wondering if my minor torch is going to be ok for that. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Pam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Website -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Etsy Store -

My Blog -

I am a member of the Etsy Glass Artists Street Team

Old 2009-12-12, 5:21pm

I use my minor all the time with boro............ but nothing too enormous I must admit.

I am running mine on an 8LPM oxycon and if I want to work something larger than say a 1.5inch marble then I find its better to crank it up to squeeze out the extra heat.

I tried making some complex murrini in boro once............. I had RSI of the arms after trying to adequately melt the large gather for over 3 hours (Yep I was stubborn), so if you want to do larger work then you will need to upgrade. I have just bought a Phantom so I can up the ante on my boro work, but the minor is fine for regular sized beads and small sculptures.

Nat

Old 2009-12-12, 5:35pm
takin the long way 'round

get Pipyr's tutorial, Boro on a Concentrator........she uses a Minor with a 5lpm oxycon in it, and it's great!!! I'm doing boro on a Cricket with an oxycon, and her tips helped alot, not only terms of flame settings, but how to get the most out of the colors you're using....

Old 2009-12-12, 5:38pm
Alaska Boro

Using a Cricket for boro with an oxygen concentrator. Works fine for beads in the range of 22 x 13 mm. The Mini CC would perhaps produce more heat, but does not work well with the 5 lpm concentrator. Just not enough oxygen.

Last edited by Alaska; 2009-12-12 at 6:54pm.
Old 2009-12-12, 6:49pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

if your on tanked it's not a problem...if you on a concentrator it depends how good your concentrator is....even on the worst concentrator in the world (well I thought it was crap) I managed to make boro discs......
Old 2009-12-14, 5:28pm

Thanks all!

My Website -

My Etsy Store -

My Blog -

I am a member of the Etsy Glass Artists Street Team