Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2009-06-01, 2:59pm

Default Oxygen tank

I don't know if this is in the right place but I need help please.
I usually use an oxycon with my minor, but decided to try oxygen for some small boro pendants. The oxygen has arrived...it's secured to the wall in my studio...I've got the pressure thingy on it...I turn it on....nothing. The knob only goes about 1/4 turn and then stops.
What am I doing wrong? I was really hoping to torch with oxygen today....
guess that's not gonna happen.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Suzanne
Old 2009-06-01, 3:26pm

You might have the regulator closed...I know it sounds backwards, but screwing the regulator knob IN actually opens it up. Where you would normally open the valve of say a faucet, that actually closes the regulator, so turn the knob on the top of the tank on, it should turn several times to open that valve, then turn the regulator knob slowly and you should see the pressure come up. I hope this helps. Do you see pressure on the gauge that is on the tank side of your regulator?
Old 2009-06-01, 5:07pm

Hi, thanks for the reply. I did get the knob on the tank to move and the dial closer to the tank went up to 2000 psi. The other one isn't moving. So I think you're saying if the regulator knob is not screwed in then the oxygen can't come out. So if it's left like it is - reading 2000 psi on the dial closer to the tank is there any danger? I'm always worried about things blowing up....
Thanks for the help...I really appreciate it!!!!!!
Oh yea, and when I'm finished torching do I have to bleed the line so both dials read zero?
Suzanne
Old 2009-06-01, 5:33pm

okay...so now you have pressure on the tank side of the regulator....you need to slowly turn the knob/control on the regulator. That will drop the pressure down and allow it to come through to your torch. I'm not sure what torch you're using, but 20lbs is a nice general rule for pressure. So turn the dial and watch the needle on the other dial rise until it get to about 20. Then go crank up your torch and get a nice flame, then come back and do some adjustment on the regulator again to get it to come back up to about 20 and you're set. You don't have to bleed the lines when your through, but I always close the valve on the oxygen tank itself. I don't know that that is necessary, but I do it.
Old 2009-06-01, 5:36pm

Sorry, I see you're using a minor... when I ran my minor I think I set the propane at around 4 or 5 and the Oxygen at 18 or 20...so you should be fine at 20.
Old 2009-06-01, 6:10pm

Thanks Wonker,
I appreciate your help. It makes sense to me now. I'll give it a try after I have my dinner.
Cheers,
Suzanne
Old 2009-06-01, 6:15pm

cool....it just takes doing it once Suzanne, then you own it. It's actually kinder to your regulator to shut it down before you turn the oxygen on every time, but I don't know many folks that actually do that. Good luck to you.
Old 2009-06-01, 9:05pm

YAY, I did it!!!! Wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. Thanks for the help!!!! I was only able to make one bead because of the time...gotta work in the morning...boo.
I did bleed the line and turned the little knob on the regulator till it was loose. When I use the oxygen again I'll do the same thing as this time, turn on the oxygen then slowly turn the knob on the regulator until it registers 20 psi.
Now, if I could only figure out how to get those bright colours......soon.
Take care,
Suzanne
Old 2009-06-02, 6:35am
Gentleman of Leisure

Just to increase you knowledge about regulators so you have better understanding what is going on........

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2009-12-31 at 10:20pm.
Old 2009-06-02, 7:30am

Make sure you have a flash back arrestor on your regulator for safety reasons. They are available at your local welding supply company...Goldsmithy
Old 2009-06-02, 7:37am

Thanks Dale and Goldsmithy,
I'll have a good read of that info...and I do have a flashback arrestor on the regulator.
Old 2009-06-02, 10:19am

Remember to open the main valve on your oxygen tank all the way till it stops tight. You need to do this to seat the valve in the open position, otherwise it will leak.

Robert
Old 2009-12-31, 2:00pm

One thing I have not seen mentioned about opening an oxygen tank valve. You MUST open it very slowly! At 2000 PSI any lint, dust etc can ignite in the regulator and explode. You want to see the needle on the gauge rise slowly, if it jumps to 2000 PSI you opened it to fast. If you take any welding torch class you will hear this at least once a day for the first couple weeks…

If you don’t think this is a problem try doing a web search for Fire Piston. They are an old and effective way of starting a fire without matches.