Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-02-18, 8:24pm
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Default Propane outside in very cold temperature...

I have a question about my propane being outside in cold temperature.
I live in Quebec, Canada and it can get really cold sometimes (today was -25celcius here)
Is that ''dangerous'' to keep my propane outside during these freaking cold times? Is that a problem for the regulator???

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-02-18, 8:37pm
product of the universe

i don't really think the cold is gonna effect it other than the occasional freezing of the regulator, but it only takes about 15-20 minutes to unthaw a frozen reg.
Old 2006-02-18, 8:50pm
Cheep, cheep, cheep!

If your tank gets that cold then likely the pressure in the tank might fall enough that you wouldn't have enough pressure to generate gas flow. Not dangerous, you just wouldn't be able to work until it got warmer. See other propane threads for alot of good info related to this. Good one about warming tanks with electric blankets and such.

Dana
Old 2006-02-19, 12:50am

Liz, when it gets really cold here our propane freezes up and just doesn't work, but I don't think it's dangerous and the regulator will be just fine.

Linda
Old 2006-02-19, 8:14am
Mary Lockwood

We don't get below zero all that often, but we hover around the teens quite a bit at night, which is when I usually torch.

When I was on the hothead, I noticed a real difference in pressure, since it takes so much to run that torch.

But since I've switched to the minor, I really don't notice that much of a drop.

Usually, I just have to turn my regulator up a half turn to get it up to the same pressure that I usually use.

I remember when I was on the hothead, wrapping an electric blanket around my tank and turning it on a half hour before I went to work really helped.

My tank is enclosed in a little hose reel house that I pulled the guts out of, so it isn't wet or snowy in there or anything. I would imagine that putting a lightbulb on out there might accomplish the same task.

I remember my dad used to switch a light on in the 'pump house' when I was growing up to keep out water from freezing on really cold nights, so it must help keep it at least a little warmer.

~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-02-19, 10:39am
Gentleman of Leisure

As the colder it gets the less propane boils off into vapor, the less pressure in tank... Eventually propane will freeze and quit producing vapor. This happens about -40F. ..... As for danger, not much, this is a cycle that happens every year to thousands of propane tanks in cold climates. As for regulator (adjustable) you should probably cover it so it does not get moisture inside it, but I doubt the cold will harm it either...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-02-20, 6:58am
Safety ALWAYS

We had -20 (F) here over the weekend (air temperature)...no problems - used an electric blanket to keep the tank warm.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-02-20, 9:12am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

thanks guys for the replies.
I had those ''what if it's dangerous??'' moments...