No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2011-01-04, 5:33pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damselfly View Post
And your tutorial is one of the one's I've purchased. I saved up for that from the first moment I saw it.

And it didn't need to be in the main section.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-01-04, 5:33pm
I'm a lilac!

The way I use the forum, if I wanted to buy tutorials I'd go straight to the "Tutorials for Purchase" section and browse through them.

Old 2011-01-04, 5:38pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluffroadglass View Post
I didn't say it received less attention or that it isn't as good of a section. I said it was perceived to receive less attention. It's the perception, whether or not it's true, that is causing this problem.
I caught that sentence right before you posted, and I changed it to read, "I think that "the paid tutorials forum... receiving less attention" is a false assumption that many vendors make". Because you're right, it's all about perception.

But if it's a false assumption, then let's work on that assumption.

I can easily see vendors saying "Well, I posted in the wrong section, and I got ten more sales. So that must be what caused it." That's easily false too, because I know I have to save up money to buy, and I might buy after that thread went up, but it was in spite of that, not because of it.

Whatever the assumption, shouldn't we be trying to uphold the current set of very lenient rules in place? I would hope it's not going to break any person's business to refrain from posting in the main section.
Old 2011-01-04, 5:39pm

Ditto... I agree.. I find it a bit misleading to see something in the main listing to only click on it to learn it is an advertisement for a "tutorial for sale".
If I am looking for a new tut to purchase, I go direct to the "Tutorials for Purchase" section...

Darlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
The way I use the forum, if I wanted to buy tutorials I'd go straight to the "Tutorials for Purchase" section and browse through them.

E-Bay:

Old 2011-01-04, 5:42pm
Experimentalist

Quote:
... Whatever the assumption, shouldn't we be trying to uphold the current set of very lenient rules in place? ...
How?

Old 2011-01-04, 5:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura B View Post
How?
LMAO! that's the million dollar question
Old 2011-01-04, 5:50pm

Since we're talking about where we go when we do want to buy, something else just popped into my head.

I think Amy's banner is the perfect advertisement for her tutorial, and I love to see it every time she posts. It makes me feel happy to see those dots, because I feel inspired to try to use that technique.

Kim, I love your banner too, and it reminds me in a much nicer way that I want to buy that tutorial. In fact, I'd love to see more banners, side by side, for the other tutorials. A whole bar of them across the bottom of your posts would be gorgeous *G*
Old 2011-01-04, 5:55pm

Another random thought:

Maybe the "Tutorials for Purchase" section should allow people to delete their own threads. That way, you can have Sale posts in there that can be deleted afterwards, and still have a good list of what's still available.

That might be a change Corri is willing to make. *crosses fingers*
Old 2011-01-04, 6:05pm
Experimentalist

Are thread-starting posts not deletable by the OP?

Old 2011-01-04, 6:07pm

I think they're only deletable in the Garage Sale.

(*ponders* is that the only place?)
Old 2011-01-04, 6:30pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura B View Post
Are thread-starting posts not deletable by the OP?
Nope. It would help to get rid of all of those "One day sales" and "Groundhog day sale" and "Pre-order sale" if they could be deleted. Counting the expired sale threads on the first two pages of the Tutorials for Purchase section...18.

Old 2011-01-04, 9:07pm

Well, hope you guys get it all figured out. For me this is way too much time spent debating something I would definitely categorize as "the small stuff," but I'll respect whatever the general consensus is. Cheers to you all.

Old 2011-01-05, 8:01am
Crispy Critter

Quote:
For me this is way too much time spent debating something I would definitely categorize as "the small stuff,"....
True, this really is small stuff compared to most things in life. But I'd think not irritating potential customers would be big stuff to a business owner.

Old 2011-01-05, 8:15am
I fart diamonds

The process for deleting your own post is to report it (click on the little exclamation point icon in the top right corner) and request that it be deleted. Corri is usually pretty quick about it.

Old 2011-01-05, 9:00am

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdd View Post
True, this really is small stuff compared to most things in life. But I'd think not irritating potential customers would be big stuff to a business owner.
Of course I don't want to irritate potential customers, Chris. All I meant was that where the paid tutorial section ends up and where the free section ends up is not enough of a big deal to me to continue arguing about it. I did say in my last post that I would respect whatever the general consensus was.

Old 2011-01-05, 9:50am
I'm a lilac!

It doesn't seem like it's that big of a problem; actually, having expired sale promotion posts in the tutorials for sale section seems like a bigger hindrance to me, in terms of making it more cluttery and harder to find the actual tuts. It seems like it would be really effective if a tut seller PMd Corri (otherwise she probably won't even see this thread) and ask that threads be made deletable in the tuts for sale section just as they are in the garage sale section. It makes perfect sense for the same reasons.

Old 2011-01-05, 11:01am
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
The process for deleting your own post is to report it (click on the little exclamation point icon in the top right corner) and request that it be deleted. Corri is usually pretty quick about it.
Good to know.

Old 2011-01-05, 9:29pm
It's all about the color.

Let me preface this by saying I LOVE my tutorials. I have most of them for sale here on LE in my Paid Tutorial folder on my laptop.

None of them has been purchased by clicking on a link in the main tutorial section. If you're concerned that you're not getting enough exposure for your tutorial for purchase (given the multiple areas there are to let the rest of us know), you can always buy a banner add. Doesn't every other vendor have to pay to have ads here?

And as for the percentage of free tutorials in the regular section, I went to the back pages the other day and bumped up a few because they were good ones and were worth revisiting. The ones that got bumped to the second page because of this were 3 for or about paid tutorials, and one that was asking for info. I just noticed that it hadn't really been answered and got pushed back.

Peace.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2011-01-07, 10:27am
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
(raising my hand...)

Mind you, I suspect that if Corri really wanted to make any changes, she probably would have already.
This pretty much sums up this thread for me.

Remember Corri is the one and only Admin to the whole site, no moderators, no help.

I just did a quick check in this area and came up with about 900 threads.That isn't even counting the paid tutorial threads that average another 350 threads. So dividing that up into 3 sub categories, could take days.

Many of these threads you could not tell just by reading the title what category they would belong in. This is speaking from someone who has moved threads before.
Would it be worth your time and effort?

Damselfly, You can delete your own threads in the Garage, Auctions and Self Promotions, and Classes, Retreats and Get Togethers etc. Also if you are a LE vendor, you can delete your own threads in the Sale Rack, as only LE vendors are allowed to post in that area.

Old 2011-01-07, 11:51am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn T View Post
I just did a quick check in this area and came up with about 900 threads.That isn't even counting the paid tutorial threads that average another 350 threads. So dividing that up into 3 sub categories, could take days.

Many of these threads you could not tell just by reading the title what category they would belong in. This is speaking from someone who has moved threads before.
Would it be worth your time and effort?
If Corri gave me moderator status for one day I'd be more than happy to do it. But I know this conversation is making a few people weary and it's not really accomplishing anything anyway.

Old 2011-01-07, 12:42pm

Thanks for clarifying that, Shawn. I knew there was more, I just couldn't think of them.

I don't think that most people feel that changing things around would improve this section. It sounds to me like most people like this area the way it is, but would like vendors to post in the area that was created especially for them. Why create more work than we need to? Why can't the current system be used as it was designed?

And I would bet anything that Corri hasn't done anything like move or delete threads because no one reports them. I know I don't want to report them; I'm not trying to be vindictive.

Has anyone asked Corri if it was possible to make the Paid Tutorial section deletable by thread owners? I agree with Kalara that it should prob be a vendor. Amy, (I'll shamelessly ask ) will you leave Corri a message?
Old 2011-01-07, 12:45pm

By the way, since this thread was brought back up, I think it's a bummer that Lisa AF's thread asking about Kim's tutorial wasn't started in the Paid Tutorial section. I think it would have gotten just as many views and just as many responses, and it would have increased the view rate of all the threads in that section.

Last edited by Damselfly; 2011-01-07 at 12:47pm.
Old 2011-01-07, 12:47pm
Storm Queen

I've sent Corri a message weeks ago about how cluttered the tutorial section was and never heard back from her. I doubt contacting her again would give me any different results.

Old 2011-01-11, 4:32am
Isinglass Design

I certainly agree about separating things. Thats said, I just went to post new price info about my paid tut, and had to look pretty hard to find the right section. I knew it was there, but almost posted here by accident. I'm just not on le enough to remember that it was kind of a sub-category.

Laurie
Old 2011-01-12, 9:17pm
Frustrated Artist

How about 1 thread per tutorial. You write it, you start the thread, then you can promote your sales, discounts, ect in that thread. Then everyone can see what the changes have been.
Since we can edit out own posts, the OP can go in and update the original post for the special or sales and people would not have to go looking for the info. Fewer thread, less chance of getting buried.

Old 2011-01-20, 3:59am

I like the solution above - keep this thread, but above have a tutorials for sale thread and a free tutorials thread

Old 2011-01-20, 9:34am
I'm a lilac!

It's been separated and it looks AWESOME in there... the division really showcases what a fantastic wealth of great FREE information the members of this forum offer. Thanks Amy!

Old 2011-01-20, 10:08am
Storm Queen

I'm still working on it. I think I have 19 more pages in the main section to sort out but I may be done today.

Old 2011-01-20, 10:13am

You've done great work *hugs*

What did Corri say about sales and promotions for paid tutorials in the main section?
Old 2011-01-20, 10:15am
Storm Queen

Quote:
You've done great work *hugs*

What did Corri say about sales and promotions for paid tutorials in the main section?
Thanks. Corri didn't address that issue. She just gave me free rein to house clean.