Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2013-04-17, 11:09am
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonwoodStudio View Post
Hi Patti. It's looking great! Just a thought ... Couldn't you go back to S Bar S and ask them to please install that 3rd window as you originally ordered for the original price they quoted/didnt charge you - as it is not your fault they forgot? Love your chicks!
Hi all--I finally got up my courage and asked S Bar S if they could recommend someone to install another window. I also went ahead and bought a 36" x 36" window at Lowe's (for some reason that size was cheaper).

I finally heard back yesterday and one of their carpenters is coming out on Saturday to install it! Yay!

Also, the old-shed-tear-down was exhausting, but worth it. The guy with the old shed was really nice, and I now have a horse trailer full of scrap wood. Plus some old windows and a nice door. I also got a set of shelves that I am going to paint and put in the glass shack, and an old dresser thing that will make a nice potting bench or something. I even got a piece of cement board that I think I will use for my torching surface. Score!

It's been pretty cold here and I was busy with other things (like taxes), so I haven't worked on the shed yet. I'm still trying to find an electrician to hook up the shed (the first one hasn't returned my phone messages, hmmm).

The chicks are getting HUGE. Emily expanded their "brooder" and it is now 6 medium U-Haul boxes put together. She added more roosts too.

It is supposed to start warming up tomorrow, so I will get out there, sort the scrap wood and figure out what wood I still need to buy for a coop.

I'm so thankful that I was able to get all that wood for free!! I was pricing wood at Home Depot and it looks like I am going to save a bunch of money because of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Patti
Old 2013-04-17, 11:59am
Loving learning

I'm so excited for you, sounds like things are really coming together
Old 2013-04-17, 12:01pm
They see me rollin'...

New photos!

The new and improved chick playpen, by Emily:

A close-up of some of the chicks. The black and white one at top is Zazzu, a Light Brahma. She's going to be so pretty!!

Jeckel the Easter Egger is in the middle. Hyde the other EE is upper left, to the right of Grendel the Mille Fleur. Sango the Speckled Sussex is bottom right. Smaug the Black Sex Link is bottom left...she still hardly has any wing feathers. (Correction: her wing feathers are black so it is an optical illusion...oops) Black/white chick on the bottom right is Sable, the Barred Rock who is probably a rooster.

Ginger! (the one sitting on the "wall") She is the Gold Sex Link that we thought was a rooster for a while, but is definitely now a hen. She is the friendliest chick and is my favorite.

Milo! Long story, but we had to leave our black kitty, Midnight, behind in St. Louis. So we went to the shelter and found Milo, who is now about 15 weeks old. He is a total love bug and just purrs and purrs. Odie, our probably-Maine Coon loved him at first sight.

Well, we had a lot of trouble making up our minds about which black kitty to get. I wanted a black one because I know that they are less likely to get adopted. Emily couldn't get this little girl out of her mind, so we ended up adopting her too. Her name is Ponto, and she is polydactyl. She is very shy and sweet. She reminds me of Gatica, my long-haired black/white kitty that I also had to leave behind.

Emily also built a fort out of boxes for the kitties. Here is Odie checking it out.

And Cricket likes the new kitties. Here she is trying to fit into the cat bed (Milo usually sleeps in it). She is so silly.

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-04-17 at 12:05pm.
Old 2013-04-17, 12:14pm
They see me rollin'...

Thanks Eileen! I've been kind of frustrated because I couldn't really start on the inside walls until I made up my mind about the window, and also until I get the rest of the wiring done. So this is a step in the right direction!

I may just post on the Craig's List for an electrician. My post about needing scrap wood really paid off (although I got a few weird responses as well, like the person who wanted to trade wood for eggs...um, we won't have eggs for about 5 months yet lol).

I also didn't have internet for over a week because our sattelite dish was out of alignment and no one had time to come and fix it. I kept having to drive into town so I could use the internet to do my taxes.

BTW, the 2 new kitties are living in my bedroom, which is also full of lampworking and metal-working equipment until I get the shed finished. I've been throwing stuff in there willy-nilly since I can't really use it as a bedroom yet, so pardon the mess. They will be staying in there until our other dog, River, gets used to them. He doesn't like change so we are taking it slow...there is a dog gate at the bedroom door so he can see them but not touch.

I'll be so glad when I can get all that stuff out of the bedroom and into the shed, so I can have a bedroom again!

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-04-17 at 12:32pm. Reason: typo
Old 2013-04-26, 7:39pm
They see me rollin'...

Hi all! We're having an absolutely gorgeous day here in Montana. It was 78 degrees this afternoon! I guess it's a good time as any for an update!

Mike from S Bar S installed my window last Saturday. I LOVE it! I wasn't sure if I should spend the money, but now I can see the horses in their pasture, and can get a nice cross-breeze. It cost a little less than S Bar S would have charged.

And see? Horses! (BTW, you can also see a little bit of the Pryor Mountains in the background...at least I think they're the Pryors).

Jeckel the Easter Egger says hi.

I haven't gotten much else done. I swear I'm going to start insulating the walls on the right side tomorrow. I can't do the wall on the left until the electrician comes in about 2 weeks. I think I'm going to go ahead and start tiling the floor, too.

Wish me luck...I also am going to start on the chicken coop, now that the bees are gone! (32 beehives dropped off at our property by mistake night before last, long story!)

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-04-26 at 7:58pm.
Old 2013-04-28, 5:54pm
They see me rollin'...

I actually made progress! Today I put up insulation in over 3/4 of the shed. I have to leave some of it open for the electrician, but I'm going to go ahead and finish the rest of the inside.

Tomorrow I will cover the insulation with the clear plastic vapor barrier. I was just too exhausted to do it today.

We also put together the legs for the chicken coop yesterday:

And today Emily built the floor of the coop. We'll attach the legs to the floor next! Not too bad considering neither of us have ever built anything before.

And here is Milo living the life of Reilly, relaxing on my bed. I put the bed frame together yesterday too.

He probably looks kind of big here, but he's actually really tiny. Less than 4 lbs and about 4 months old. He's my tiny purr machine.

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-04-30 at 3:24pm.
Old 2013-04-30, 3:20pm
They see me rollin'...

The coop has legs!!

I know...it's not glass related. Well, I also got most of the insulation in the shed covered with the plastic vapor barrier today, too. I was too tired to take a picture. lol

Emily is out there right now doing a couple more things to the coop to prepare it for putting the walls on. It was challenging working on it today because it is FREEZING. The sun is warm but the wind is coooolllldddd.

I'm hoping to start on the paneling tomorrow.

-Patti
Old 2013-05-04, 6:10pm
They see me rollin'...

Hi all! Spoke with the electrician today! The actual wiring won't cost that much, but the trench and running the wiring to the power pole is pretty expensive. I'm thinking of renting a trencher and trying to do it myself. Any advice? I've never used a trencher before, or even seen one.

Our ground is very hard and rocky, unfortunately. But I'm hoping I can at least do some of the digging work so I don't have to pay so much in labor.

He said that there was going to be too much power to just run it through a plug. I think I'll add 60 amps to make it an even 100, since the wiring isn't going to be that much anyway.

We've been working really hard on the chicken coop. If anyone is interested, I have a thread on backyardchickens.com here:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/77...ions-with-pics

We've been enjoying a glorious day here! It's especially sweet when you can look out the window and enjoy the fruits of your labors.

-Patti
Old 2013-05-04, 6:24pm
Loving learning

So glad for you that you've got that window, and the chickens are going to happy to have a secure & safe coop! Nice progress on the insulation too, way to go!
Old 2013-05-04, 6:30pm
They see me rollin'...

Thanks! We've been working our tails off around here!

-Patti
Old 2013-05-07, 2:42pm
They see me rollin'...

Almost done with the chicken coop, and it now has chickens in it!

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/77...n-run-question

Now back to the glass shack!

-Patti
Old 2013-05-12, 8:42am
Molten Glass Addict

Love the looks of your shedio!

We built a 12x24 and split it in half for me and hubbs, but then we decided we wanted it bigger and took the center wall out. Now we have two doors on it and need to get rid of one of them. The door will work on the garage, but the screen door won't fit on the house, so now we'll have to sell it at a loss.

< me in my younger days

< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie

Old 2013-05-14, 9:27am
They see me rollin'...

So yours is the same size as mine. I like the 12 x 24 size.

Could you just leave the 2 doors on it?

I have had good luck buying and selling things like that on Craig's List.

I got a free door from the old shed that we helped tear down, and I'm going to use it to make a workbench. Like Pat/eregel suggested, I'm going to get a couple of old cabinets to use as a base and put the door on top.

I love Craig's List! I also got 10 free wood pallets the other day! We'll use some of them to put under our stored hay bales, but I can use the extras for some sort of project.

Anyway, good for you on building your shed!

-Patti
Old 2013-05-16, 4:10pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Everything looks great, you're very handy!! I would suggest getting more amps than you need, to be safe. Better than too little. Keep posting - it's fun to see everything happening. And I just love the chicks!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2013-05-24, 3:02pm
They see me rollin'...

Thanks! Yeah, the electrician said that we should probably go to 100 amps. It only costs a little more than 80, so I figured why not?

I went to the rental place today and looked at trenchers. The trencher I would need to dig a 24" trench for the wiring is humongous, and I almost chickened out. But the young lady who works there said that it wasn't as scary as it looks.

This is when I really miss having a significant other who could help me with these things. Plus Emily is in Oklahoma at Farrier school for the next few weeks, so it's pretty lonely around here!

The critters keep me company though.

So after I get the electric company people out to show me where not to dig, I am going to rent the trencher next week. As soon as I get a trench dug the electrician should hopefully be able to come out late next week or early the next week and do the wiring.

I went to an estate sale and scored some metal shelving and a metal cabinet and wine rack for the shed (yes, the wine rack is for glass storage lol). I also went to the ReStore and got 2 cabinets for the workbench I am going to make with the free door I got. I also bought another very nice old cabinet off of Craig's List for a song--picked it up 2 days ago.

I did get our RV sold on Monday, so that is a huge relief!

I'll have to update with photos soon! The chicks are huge but still adorable. I'll have to post a pic of the trencher too. It really is the scariest-looking thing!

-Patti
Old 2013-05-24, 3:11pm
They see me rollin'...

I have to tell a chick story. The chicks are really good now about putting themselves to bed before it gets dark. So I go out at dusk and lock them up.

Well, the other night it was really chilly and windy. I went out at sunset and the chicks were all huddled in a circle on the ground instead of in their coop. Turns out the wind had blown the chicken door shut, so they couldn't get in! They just huddled there all together until someone came and rescued them. Poor babies!

Now I have the door rigged so that won't happen again. We get really high winds here sometimes. Emily loves it, but I think it's spooky when the wind starts howling.

Anyway, it's adorable how they all stick together---they were raised together and are like a little family. When they go in the coop at night they all line up on the top roost in a row. So cute!

Though when they get bigger I don't think they'll all fit up there. There are 2 other roosts but they are a little lower.

They're making real chicken noises now, too! I hear a lot of buh-bawks. lol

-Patti
Old 2013-05-24, 3:24pm
They see me rollin'...

Almost forgot--I also scored a potter's wheel yesterday!! This family was moving to Alaska and couldn't take it with them. It's like new. I can't tell you how long I have wanted one. I even already have 100 lbs. of clay that I brought with me from St. Louis. lol

Even if my pieces aren't that great, I think it will be therapeutic. Emily is good at sculpture and might want to use it too.

I do have a ceramic kiln, but the fire brick got a little messed up in the move. I need to get some of that fire brick glue to fix it. And then figure out how to use it.

-Patti
Old 2013-05-24, 3:33pm
Loving learning

Oh wow, things are coming right along!
I hope your cabinets & door work as well for you as they do for me. I love it that I have built in storage below from the cabiets. As a matter of fact, I have 4 cabinets, 2 back to back at each end, because I put my work table jutting out into the room instead of on a wall to make use of some of the center floor space.
And a pottery wheel too! Maybe we're related
Old 2013-05-24, 5:46pm
They see me rollin'...

Hmmm, maybe we are! Yes, I'm copying your idea. lol The door I got is very sturdy, not hollow core, so it should make a good strong workbench that I can really pound on! And I need all the cabinet space I can get.

I hope I can fit everything into the shed! I'm beginning to wonder.

-Patti
Old 2013-05-24, 5:58pm
Loving learning

I have it crammed into mine, and it's smaller than yours, but I wish I had my clay a bit further away from the glass. I worry about the dust & the oxygen concentrator. I just had an idea, maybe I need to make a cover for my concentrator for when I'm not using it?
Old 2013-05-25, 8:58am
They see me rollin'...

That's a good idea!

I didn't think about clay dust. Hmmm. At least the clay will be at one end and the glass at the other. So clay generates a lot of dust?

I could cover the glass when I'm not using it.

Years ago we had some work done in our basement in St. Louis. No one warned me that they were going to be drilling in the cement floor. So I ended up with a thick layer of cement dust all over everything. My glass is nice and clean right now because I cleaned it all when I was packing it. I don't want to go there again!

I have some ideas for working with cement, too, but I think that's going to have to be done outdoors. I wish I had a garage. But it is what it is. I may eventually get something like this: http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/st...5l-silverwhite , instead of a garage. I've checked around and a carport is at least $4000, a real garage/pole barn more like $10,000. I plan on getting a carport eventually, but not right now.

I could do the cement work in one of those garage-type shelters and use part of it for hay storage, too. I've seen some around here in person and they look pretty sturdy!

-Patti
Old 2013-05-25, 10:34am
Loving learning

I don't do enough clay in my building to make a lot of dust, but I want my concentrator to have the best chance possible to last a looooong time. I have my wheel in there, but some things (carving a design, etc.) I sit outside to do, and also I go to a studio every week & do most of my stuff there.
I made a few cement mushrooms for my mom and those I did outside. Set up a temporary work table using plywood over some wooden horses. (do they have another name?) Remember to wear rubber gloves to protect your skin, btw, the cement will do a number on it.
Old 2013-05-26, 9:01pm
They see me rollin'...

I remember your mushrooms! And they're called saw horses, at least in my world. I do have a set of them. Thanks for the ideas!

-Patti
Old 2013-05-26, 9:10pm
Loving learning

Yes! Saw Horses! CRS strikes again,
Old 2013-05-27, 10:30am
They see me rollin'...

I have CRS too!

Our saw horses are doing double-duty as a chicken shelter. I put an old board over them and it gives the chickens a little more shade. I also put a couple of old dresser drawers in there and they nap in them.

Now I'm glad that we accidentally ended up with a huge gravel pad under the shed. We had 3" of rain and hail in a very short time last night, and there was high water all over our property. I didn't have to worry about the shed at all.

I do wonder how the bunnies fared? There is a very young bunny living under each of our sheds. I hope they weren't washed away.

I'm also glad I hadn't planted my garden yet. It would have been shredded. I have bought some plants, but they were in a sheltered spot and are ok.

Here's the deck after 3 waves of hail had gone over, and some of it had melted in between:

A very wet chicken coop! This was after the 3 waves of hail had pounded us, but before the final wave of heavy rain:

Some storm clouds:

This was after the hail was done and shows the band of very heavy rain headed for us:

We got about 3" of rain in about 2 hours. That's about 2 months of rainfall around here.

There was also a funnel cloud about a mile north of us, just on the other side of the highway, that went east and was spotted on the ground east of Custer. I'm very thankful that it missed us!

Except for lots of mud everywhere, we are pretty much unscathed! Phew!

And again, I won't have to worry about irrigation for a while! We got a lot of rain last weekend, but it was starting to dry up. I have to call the "ditch rider" to send me water for the hay field, but I haven't had to call him yet.

-Patti

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-05-27 at 10:38am.
Old 2013-05-30, 4:57pm
They see me rollin'...

Sigh! It's still raining. It had rained quite a bit the weekend before last. Then we had 3" last weekend, and around 1" to 1 1/2" of rain every day since then. I am happy that our hay will be growing (although the hail stripped most of the leaves off of the alfalfa). But it's pretty darn cold and miserable out there right now.

Needless to say I haven't been able to get the trench dug or put in my garden. But, I could go ahead and work on the paneling inside the shed, so maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

I feel so bad for the horses and chickens! They both have shelter, but it's still miserable for them. The horses won't hardly leave their loafing sheds, and the chicken run is a swamp except for under the coop. Thank God we decided to build a coop that has a space under it where I can put their food and water.

I did manage to plant 3 lilac bushes along one side of the shed on Tuesday when we had some brief sunshine. I love lilacs and they apparently do well here. Every time we plant something the place looks so much better!

-Patti

-Patti
Old 2013-05-30, 5:05pm
Temptress

We had a brief moment of sun today which was nice, but now the wind is howling through here. I go into Billings tomorrow to set up for an outdoor show on Saturday. I'm hoping for anything that passes as reasonably nice weather.
Lilacs do really well here. You should take a drive down Poly next time you are in Billings. They are gorgeous right now. The ones down in our meadow are almost done blooming now. The ones up by the house are just getting ready to bloom. We got our first peonies opening today (seems really early for them) and the snowball bush is just starting to turn white.
Hope your interview went great today!

Old 2013-05-31, 9:25am
They see me rollin'...

Thanks Julie! The wind is howling here too! Did you get the hail on Sunday? At least the rain finally blew away east. Though there still might be more.

What show is that? Maybe I should check it out. I hope the wind dies down for you!

Yes, I have seen all the lilacs around town and was amazed! There weren't nearly that many lilacs in St. Louis. I really love them so I hope they do well.

Yes, I think the interview went well! I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-05-31 at 9:30am.
Old 2013-05-31, 9:26am
They see me rollin'...

Double post, sorry!

Just checked the radar and the rain is actually headed our way, not going away. Oops. I'm not used to this thing where rain and wind comes from the East. Just doesn't seem natural.

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-05-31 at 9:29am.
Old 2013-06-01, 3:58am
Temptress

No hail here, nor rain yesterday. It was heavily overcast, but decent at my house. That's cause all the wind and rain was with me in Billings. The wind went down to 20mph or so during setup and was gusty last night. I'm hoping everything is intact this morning.
The show is called Springfest. It's a one day show at the Moss Mansion. 914 Division. Essentially it is on Division between Clark and Yellowstone Ave. I'm in booth 11 if you come by.
Next weekend is Strawberry Festival (i'm not doing that one, too many shows in June already), but it is a nice one day show also. It will be downtown under Skypoint. That is essentially where the farmers market will run all summer, too.