Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2007-01-29, 4:52pm

Default Resizing pics?!!??

I am having a big problem with the size of my pictures. I am working with macromedia Fireworks program. When I am resizing the picture, I have to make the pixels width/height size so small to get my KB size right to post on here. I just can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions? I've searched on here but I didn't find anything. Here is an example of how small my pictures need to be.

I should say when i first started posting pics I could get decent size pictures and the right KB size, but now?? I really don't know what i have done different. Thanks in advance,

Ashlea
Old 2007-01-29, 5:19pm

Hi Ashlea, I don't know the first thing about fireworks. But your saving your image in the wrong file format. It should be a Jpeg of gif. Jpeg's are the best for photos and gif's for animation. I'm not familiar with php.

But see if you can save as Jpeg. the larger you want the photo the more you will have to compress it.

LE's max for a jpeg is 640 X 640 with about a 70 % compression.
If you have photoshop. I could hook you up. But look to see if you can save as Jpeg.

Scott

ESTY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2007-01-29 at 5:25pm.
Old 2007-01-29, 5:24pm

Hi Scott,
How do I change the file format? I thought it was saving as a Jpeg.
Thanks,
Ashlea
Old 2007-01-29, 5:33pm

Ashlea, Sorry, I don't know fireworks. But I pull your image off and tried to open it in photoshop and it wouldn't open because it was a php. And I have no idea what that is. All I can tell you is start in your "save as" command. and find out why it's not saving as a jpeg.
Scott

ESTY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-01-29, 5:50pm

Ok google it. It's a animation program. And JPG compression is not the same as a jpeg. they are going to be a lot smaller because its motion. There still might be away to render a still capture. But I'll not going be much help sorry.
Scott

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2007-01-29 at 5:54pm.
Old 2007-01-29, 5:53pm

I don't know much about this program. My buddy builds websites and gave it to me because he said it would be a great program for me for editing my glass photos. I just read you Levels tutorial and fireworks has all the same options as photoshop, I was just playing around with some pictures. So I'm sure I can fix the file format, but I was wondering if it's something I have to change on my camera? Or on my camera's software?
Old 2007-01-29, 6:03pm

No, It's the fireworks software. ask your buddy about setting up a still photo as a jpeg. Within fireworks. There should be away. But you should buy photoshop element. Instead of getting free software. If you want others to respect your copyrights. You should respect theirs.
Scott

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2007-01-29 at 6:08pm.
Old 2007-01-29, 6:24pm

If you are looking for a free progaram to resize phots check out irfanview.
It does an amazingly good job for a free program.

http://www.irfanview.com/

The blogs of your fellow LE'ers are here...

And lookie, it's all about me... ***
Old 2007-02-05, 4:40pm
beads....mmmm

Hi,

You're saving the image as a .png file. You don't want to do that. When you have your image open in Fireworks, do the following:

1. highlight (select the image)
2. If you are planning to resize the image, select Modify/Transform/Numeric Transform
3. A box will pop up - select resize from the drop down.
4. Change the image to the size you want with the "scale attributes" and the "constrain proportions" boxes checked.
5. Once it is the size you want, right click on the image and select 'insert rectangular slice'
6. right click on the image with the slice and choose "Export selected slice". You will see a drop down of options. Choose to export the 'image only' and name your file whateveryouwant.jpg
Save photos as jpg files.

I don't know what version of Fireworks you are using - if you have any questions, let me know.

Best,
Deborah
Old 2007-02-05, 5:01pm
beads....mmmm

Oh, and if the images are still too large a file size, I'll post instructions for optimizing them later on.

Best,
Deborah
Old 2007-02-05, 5:27pm

Thanks everyone for all the information, it's helped tons!
I think i've got it now.

Ashlea