No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2009-02-24, 11:56am
Gone Fishing!

Question Ventilation tubing question...

I am getting ready to re-work my glass craft hood.

Currently, I have a double size glasscraft hood that has two 650 cfm 10 inch fans that are out of the back of the hood.
What I am planning on doing is cutting the top of the hood and placing the two fans there. Basically, I want to go straight up into the attic and out the top of the roof top instead of how I had it which was out the side window of my garage.

The guy who put in the solar tube skylights in my home said that he can put a tube like my solar tubes up through the attic.

here is my question. I am thinking that I do not want to cut two holes into my roof. My fans are side by side and I would like to just connect them with some sort of Y connection. Do they make a 10 inch Y connection tube? what is it called and where would I find such a thing?

I am betting I sound about as clear as mud... Any help is much appreciated.

Holly Young

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebay Id: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Etsy ID: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Old 2009-02-24, 2:23pm

I've got the Glasscraft hood with a 20" extension in the middle, so it might be close to the same size as yours. I run one exhaust vent from the center through a vacuum plenum with a squirrel cage blower in it, then vent out one exhaust duct through the roof. I think that combining the two ducts into one of the same size will probably drive up your static pressure and reduce the efficiency of your fans. You may also have issues if your fans are not drawing equally.

Robert
Old 2009-02-24, 2:34pm
Gone Fishing!

I guess I should also mention that I run two baracuda torches from my bench.

Old 2009-02-24, 7:01pm

All the more reason to be sure that you've got a very good draw on your system. With baffles on the back and sides I would expect you to have better draw with one bigger squirrel cage blower in a vacuum plenum than with the two lower powered in-line fans going into one exhaust port. I usually run a Phantom in mine.

Robert
Old 2009-03-02, 8:28am
Gone Fishing!

Ok... so if I want to run two Baracudas from my vent hood, what CFM fan should I get? I am thinking that the suggestion of just running one powerful cfm from the top and straight up through the attick and out the roof might be my best bet. Where can I find a good price for one? Thanks

Old 2009-03-02, 8:58am

You will find the answers to your questions on Mike's Safety Blog ventilation primer: http://mikeaurelius.wordpress.com/ventilation-primer/

: LE2009
Old 2009-03-02, 9:40am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Horse Studio View Post
Ok... so if I want to run two Baracudas from my vent hood, what CFM fan should I get? I am thinking that the suggestion of just running one powerful cfm from the top and straight up through the attick and out the roof might be my best bet. Where can I find a good price for one? Thanks
To determine size of fan, first you have to determine size of hood..... Once you know face opening of hood, its fairly easy to calculate fan size and duct size....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...opic.php?t=273

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-03-02, 9:46am
Dichro Addict

I would get a bigger fan and just use one. Holly, when you say you have two 650CFM 10 in fans are you talking about the ones that Glasscraft sold with the hood? Just asking because those aren't 650CFM. They are more like 250 CFM. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse or anything. I just want to make sure you know the true CFM of those fans.

Old 2009-03-02, 10:47am
Gone Fishing!

Lenora.. yep.. the fans are the one that came with the hood.

Dale and everyone else who is helping me...I will measure the inside of my hood today and get back to you. Is there any special way that I should measure it? Thanks

Old 2009-03-02, 11:31am

Mike's articles in the Ventilation Primer tell you how to measure it and calculate your needed CFM and how to select a fan.

: LE2009
Old 2009-03-02, 11:42am

Grainger is a good vendor for blowers once you know the size you need. They've got just about anything you'd want.

Robert
Old 2009-03-02, 4:54pm
Gentleman of Leisure

IF its a tradition hood, its the measured width (distance across front) by depth (distance front to rear)... If it's a "box" design its measured width (distance across front) by height (distance from bench to hood)... This is referred to as "face opening" in most equations...

Then you take the "two" dimensions and multiply them by each other and get total square inches of hood opening.... Divide that by 144 and you square feet of hood opening... General accepted rule is 125 CFM for 1 sqft of hood opening...

Lets run some trial numbers....

We will use (for example) a width of 52 inches and a depth of 30 inches..

52 x 30 = 1,564 sqin.

1,562 / 144 = 10.8 sqft.

10.8 X 125 = 1,354 CFM...

This is basic, you also have to consider duct size and number of bends as those also cause static pressure (resistance to flow) and you have to have blower that will over come the addition resistance to air flow (static pressure) in duct system plus move calculated volume of air through "face opening".

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2009-03-02 at 5:03pm.
Old 2009-03-02, 5:34pm
da General

Holly - your fans that came with the hood are booster fans and are only slightly more than 200CFM. You need to get one that's much stronger for your set up. I upgraded mine.

|
|
|
|