Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-08-15, 12:28pm
Definitely having fun

Default O2 - Integra & M-15 comparison sought

I have a 2005'ish Sequal Integra and am trying out an M-15 (plastic case) and am wondering about a comparison of the two. Especially in the durability area.

The Integra has the 12 compression tubes and rotating valve and was touted as being an excellent / long lived machine. This one is not modified for glasswork and seems to put out around 7lpm (on the floating ball type gauge)

The M-15 has seems to put out around 10lpm (on the floating ball type gauge). I dont know about what is inside this one. It came from Glasscraft and I think was supposed to be 'new'. I am not sure if it was rebuilt with a new case, or what (its not my unit)

Tell me if you know anything about either O2 concentrators, and what I can expect from them.

Thanks,
Chris

If this is the wrong area for this thread, let me know.
Old 2011-08-15, 1:59pm
is

I dont even think the quality matters. The M-15 is $300. How many M-15's can you buy instead of one Integra? oxydoc is on the boards here and extremely active and supportive. Cant go wrong!
Old 2011-08-24, 6:20pm
Always Improving

I have three of the Oxy Doc M-20 and I love them, I work about 3 - 4 hours at a time and have never had any issues with them.

For $500.00, with the new metal case, how can you go wrong.

Mike...
Old 2011-08-24, 7:32pm

Mike what do you run with 3 M-20's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-09-18, 2:14pm
Intermembrane Time Travel

OP did you ever end up testing these two on your torch? What were the differences? I have heard some stories of nasty flux from the m series, others don't seem to mention it/feel it is an issue. Also I have read here that people are keeping their oxy knob open all the way and adjusting the flame with the propane/fuel knob, which just doesn't sound too great in regards to controlling your flame characteristics. Perhaps people have been solving this by putting check valves in the unit to avoid having to keep it open? Let us know. Also I am interested in knowing what you were running with the 3 m-20's as well, especially when running just the inner flame and not outer flame on the larger torches.
Old 2011-09-18, 6:56pm

I got my m-15 from Jack a few weeks ago and it's great! I considered the Integra, but couldn't see hoe it could make sense at three times the price. I'm planning to instead get a second m-15...that way I'll have even more oxy available, plus a built in back up.

Erik
Old 2011-09-19, 8:11am

What are you running on you m-15 Erik?

Old 2011-09-19, 8:21am
da General

Not sure about the Integra but its replacement, the Sequal Regalia, runs the same as two M15s together even tho the specification numbers don't show that. I actually went from running two M15s with my Barracuda to just one Regalia ... about the same flame that doesn't power both rings 100%, probably about 60%... to hooking up the Regalia to one M15 (it requires a back flow stop valve on your Y connect) and it's running about 80%. still not tanked oxy but works great for me! Hope this helps.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-09-19, 8:47am
Definitely having fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by caogomi View Post
OP did you ever end up testing these two on your torch? What were the differences? I have heard some stories of nasty flux from the m series, others don't seem to mention it/feel it is an issue. Also I have read here that people are keeping their oxy knob open all the way and adjusting the flame with the propane/fuel knob, which just doesn't sound too great in regards to controlling your flame characteristics. Perhaps people have been solving this by putting check valves in the unit to avoid having to keep it open? Let us know. Also I am interested in knowing what you were running with the 3 m-20's as well, especially when running just the inner flame and not outer flame on the larger torches.
I have had the opportunity to test the M-15 (which is just about brand new) and it pales in comparison to the Integra. The M-15 does pulse and cannot be pushed to close to its limit (which is 7.5lpm up here) without creating major havok with my torch flame. I also think that my O2 supply from the Integra is higher quality than the M-15. Even though my Integra has close to 8000 hrs on it.

It was an idea that I might be able to use the M-15 and sell the Integra to save some $$$, but I see that my money was well spent on the Integra. Its construction, operation, and longetivity (fingers crossed) have proven it to be the long range/dependable/best choice for me.
If you want to save money, but want an excellent O2 concentrator then look for a used Integra or Regalia. I would not want to pay retail for a new one. That is an insane price, and should not be supported.

This M-15 will go back to its storage unit and current owner.

I Also have an OGSI (with 16 hrs on it) here on loan, and it preformed even worse than the M-15.

I have to say that I would have been very disappointed if when starting out I had gone with a unit like the M-15, because I would have had quite a lot of difficulty with my flame and not had the experience to know what the problem(s) was. It could have put me off of lampworking.

The M-15 I have on loan came from a Soft glass worker, and for this usage I would guess this unit would work just fine. For Boro with a GTT Lynx at 9400' altitude, the M-15 is not suitable.

To improve my O2 supply, I am building a simple inline 02 storage tank and hope that it will give me the extra boost of 02 I need for heating bigger boro rods and pieces. This seems the most affordable solution to getting a little extra when I need it.
Old 2011-09-19, 9:02am

Can you tell us a little more about the storage tank setup? Will you be filling tanks with it? What is your expectation of its performance? Will the tank supply higher pressure than the oxycon?
Old 2011-09-19, 9:38am
Definitely having fun

Default o2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Can you tell us a little more about the storage tank setup? Will you be filling tanks with it? What is your expectation of its performance? Will the tank supply higher pressure than the oxycon?
Mine will be simple. Same pressure as the Oxycon, just bulk storage. I have an unused clean 30gal water pressure tank here and will use it to store O2 in before/and as I torch. I will turn on the 02 an hour or so before I torch to give the unit some time to fill the bulk tank (with the torch valve open a bit) and I expect to have the same pressure but more supply for the short times when I need as much as the torch can use.

For me, this will be a simple hookup from the Oxycon to the bulk tank to the torch. (no expensive fussy parts in between) I will open the O2 on the torch and turn on the Oxycon and hour or so before torching to give it time fill the tank with O2. I would say that I mostly work the Lynx with the O2 valve 50-70%open. With the extra O2 in the bulk tank, I should be able to run it 100% open for 5 minutes or more. Time and testing will give me more info.

If anyone has a O2 purity meter to loan, I will happily make it part of the experiment

Ask me in a couple of weeks, and I will let you all know how it works out.
Old 2011-09-19, 10:14am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandywine View Post
Mine will be simple. Same pressure as the Oxycon, just bulk storage. I have an unused clean 30gal water pressure tank here and will use it to store O2 in before/and as I torch. I will turn on the 02 an hour or so before I torch to give the unit some time to fill the bulk tank (with the torch valve open a bit) and I expect to have the same pressure but more supply for the short times when I need as much as the torch can use.

For me, this will be a simple hookup from the Oxycon to the bulk tank to the torch. (no expensive fussy parts in between) I will open the O2 on the torch and turn on the Oxycon and hour or so before torching to give it time fill the tank with O2. I would say that I mostly work the Lynx with the O2 valve 50-70%open. With the extra O2 in the bulk tank, I should be able to run it 100% open for 5 minutes or more. Time and testing will give me more info.

If anyone has a O2 purity meter to loan, I will happily make it part of the experiment

Ask me in a couple of weeks, and I will let you all know how it works out.
Thanks. Sounds interesting but I am not quite sure what this will buy you aside from maybe a small amount of buffering from the fluctuations of the oxycon. Please let us know how it works once it is up and running.