Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-11-28, 9:57pm
Everybody Needs Beads!

Default Diamond Bits/Bead Reamers

Do I really have to spend $30+ to get a long diamond bit for my dremmel? I mean, I love mine, and I guess it did last a long time but there are pieces of the diamond coating missing and I so need something new!
Any ideas or do I just buy one and put it under the tree?

thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Beadygirlt. on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-11-28, 10:02pm

I pay $3.50 for mine and I have one that has lasted me a year. I think Rio Grande sells them in the "beading" section of their tools catalog.

Old 2007-11-28, 10:06pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I swear by Daniel Lopacki. http://lopacki.com/drills/

Extra Long Diamond Drill Available Sizes:
1mm 1.5mm 2mm 2.5mm

1mm Length 2 1/2" (64mm)
1.5mm 2mm 2.5mm Length 3" (76mm)

Extra Long Diamond Drills $2.65 per drill any size

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2007-11-28, 10:15pm
Dangerous Woman

Is the diamond coating on the whole piece or just the end?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-11-28, 10:22pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

It's just the part on the end. The diamond coating is very high quality, and seems to last forever. I ordered five of each size, and I am still using the first of each size, as they don't seem to wear out.

Also Available in

Old 2007-11-28, 10:25pm
Ad astra per aspera

I love my BeadReamer! I had one of Jeff's (Inspiration) before but wore the diamond off after 3 years. So far, with the new one, so good. I like the fact that the tip ISN'T diamond coated, so if I slip it won't scratch. The only thing I miss about Jeff's version is that nice flare at the top, for grinding any small burrs on the holes.

Old 2007-11-28, 11:02pm
Everybody Needs Beads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
I like the fact that the tip ISN'T diamond coated, so if I slip it won't scratch.
That's the thing I love about the BeadReamer too! I also like the fact that the coating goes all the way down. But Tink, thanks so much for the link that you gave! For that price, they can't be beat!
I'll get a new BeadReamer AFTER Christmas!
Thanks guys!

Beadygirlt. on

Old 2007-11-28, 11:08pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I think the reason I like the coating not all the way down is that I can use the tip to get stubborn specks of release off without grinding places I don't want to. Then again, I haven't ever tried the BeadReamer, so maybe I should add it to my Christmas list!

Also Available in

Old 2007-11-28, 11:24pm
Everybody Needs Beads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
Then again, I haven't ever tried the BeadReamer, so maybe I should add it to my Christmas list!
Hey Tink, I'll send you one and you can send Me one!

Beadygirlt. on

Old 2007-11-28, 11:29pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I have a BeadReamer and have been using it for a few months now. It hasn't lasted nearly as long as I had hoped it would. It still works but not as quickly as when it was new and certainly not as quickly as shown in the video on the site.

Thank you for the linky-dinky-doo, Tinky-winky-pooo!!!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2007-11-29, 6:05am

Hi Tera both Rio and Glasscraft have them for sure. And I bought some from one of the tool suppliers at the gathering. All in the three dollar range my big one is about 2 1/2 inche to 3 inches long and the tiny one that I get is about an inch long. Email me your address and I will send you a big one. Tanya
Old 2007-11-29, 6:14am

So which ones do you buy if the mandrels you use are 1/16, 3/32 and 5/16?
Old 2007-11-29, 6:19am
Everybody Needs Beads!

Krista--I was wondering the same thing. I was told there would be no math(haha) and I'm a little math challenged!
Thanks Tanya! How are YOu doing? Good to see you!

Beadygirlt. on

Old 2007-11-29, 6:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadygirl View Post
Krista--I was wondering the same thing. I was told there would be no math(haha) and I'm a little math challenged!
Thanks Tanya! How are YOu doing? Good to see you!
I am math challenged this morning. I looked online for a conversion calculator but when I found one it said I couldn't put in fractions. I'm too tired to figure it out this morning so was hoping somebody here would know off the top of their head. If not I'll figure it out later. I'm not trying to be lazy, I'm just tired.

I am going to order some of these once I know what size I need!
Old 2007-11-29, 6:21am
Puddy Cat Lover

I have the drill press attachment to my dremmel. I put a bowl of water underneath and just dip, or soak the bead, and bring the wet bead up through the spinning drill bit. (Gripping tight to the bead of course). I've been using the same Harbor Freight diamond drill bit for just ages and ages. It came in a plastic box of 20 different sizes for about 7 bucks. Diamond drill bits should last a good long time, afterall I don't grind the glass, I just clean out the soft bead release, right?
J.

Old 2007-11-29, 6:41am
Sorry for party rockin'

I get mine from Roma in packs of 3:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Replacement-La...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 2007-11-29, 8:02am
Certified Glassaholic!

widgetsupply.com

Gets you reamers for cheap and whole bunch of other misc. tools that are great for lampworking

-Yee

Old 2007-11-29, 8:24am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I love widgetsupply.com but they don't have long reamers. I sure wish they did though!

Also Available in

Old 2007-11-29, 8:26am
Experimentalist

I have two sizes of beadreamers that I have never used. If someone would like to trade some of their beads for them, PM me.

Laura

Old 2007-11-29, 8:34am
Moving on!

I bought a beadreamer from Jeff but it doesn't fit my dremmel. I should pass it on. Anyone got it listed as a 'want' in the secret santa?

- nothing right now.
Old 2007-11-29, 8:50am

Does anyone have a source for long reamers that are diamond coated on the entire length? I have the lopaki ones and while the length is great the diamond grit is only in the 5mm or so. I seem to be addicted to making long beads, and it would be nice to have a bit that cleans out the entire hole at once! As it is now I have to move the reamer up and down throught the hole, and I have more than once accidently chipped the end of a bead because I accidently pulled the reamer too far out.

The blogs of your fellow LE'ers are here...

And lookie, it's all about me... ***
Old 2007-11-29, 9:07am

Dave's beadreamer (the expensive one) is the only diamond coated reamer I've found that is not tapered, is coated over a good length (1 1/4"), and doesn't have a sharp point. I also like that the end is not coated so it is less likely that you will chip the hole if you slip a little. If using the 1/16" reamer be sure to pay attentions to Dave's recommendation of using a Mini Mite Dremel. It's just too easy to bend the 1/16" reamer with the more powerful dremels (found out the hard way ) These reamers sure take the work out of cleaning bead holes!
http://www.artintheround.com

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no connection with Dave (Art in the Round), just like his reamers

Last edited by Judi_B; 2007-11-29 at 9:27am. Reason: fixed link
Old 2007-11-29, 10:20am
runs with pruning shears

Thanks fo posting the link Tink. I had him bookmarked, but somehow lost it spent ages trying to retrace my steps and find him again, and then you posted it

I've spent some time poking around his site. He seems to be a very cool human.
Thanks again,
elise
Old 2007-11-29, 5:29pm

Thanks Ginny! That looks just like what I've been using and saying I needed to get another one.. So I ordered one set !! lol

Old 2008-03-22, 11:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
I agree totally with Judi - I love these reamers. I make a lot of long beads (3 inches and up) and Dave's reamers are perfect!
Hey Guys.

Thanks Kimberly and all of you for your recommendations. Yup, they are expensive. Yup, they are worth it. My cost is way high too, they are not made in China, but 100% American made, and, yes, the diamond is way longer than most. Look for 3000+ beads per tool, perfectly done, in seconds. Someone mentioned a slowdown after a while, vs the video. (Take a look!) That was likely a defective tool. If you will pm me, I'll fix that pronto. All tools wear out eventually, but I did have a few that did that back in early 2007 when I engaged a new coater. My tools carry a lifetime warranty against defects and I will always support that with no hassles.

Tink, I think it's about time you tried one of these. I've been reading your posts for maybe 2 or 3 years now, and wondered when you would take the plunge. LOL. Everyone respects your opinion and recognizes you as someone to be listened to. Well, here it is in front of everybody:

Tink, here's the deal... Tell you what. Just tell me what size you use most, and I'll send you one FREE, no strings. Then just give it an honest workout, and let me and others know what you "Tink". Seriously, Tink, I mean it. Just email me at dave A_T art in the round D_O_T CO...ETC (Gotta avoid the spam-bots) and I'll get one to you right away, with my compliments, and best wishes.

I am certainly not in ANY way saying Daniel's tools are not the way to go! I am sure he has a great product, and has taken a different tack from the way I decided to go. There is certainly room for both philosophies and methodologies in our field, and I welcome the competition and decidedly different approches.

It's true my tools are more expensive up front. I make no bones about that, and offer no appologies. But I do absolutely honestly contend that bead for bead, these tools are the cheapest or very close to the cheapest on the market in terms of release eaten over the life of the tool, and absolutely I guarantee you will NOT find a better or faster method for cleaning your beads, nor a better finish than what these tools produce. That's not just puffery. 30 days is plenty of time to decide that. After over three years on the market, with customers in 18 countries, and thousands of sales, I can confidently promise that or your money back, no questions asked.

30 days satisfaction guaranteed, and lifetime warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. Reasons accepted, among others: "My dog ate it." ( I don't cover vet bills though.) "I don't like the color" "I changed my mind." "What was I thinking" "I thought it was 32/3 inch, not 3/32" "I thought it was 29.95 CENTS!" And if that's not enough, there is always, "I don't like it." - Never got that one either, but it's available.

Best Regards,
Dave Fousek

Last edited by DaveF; 2008-03-22 at 11:24pm.
Old 2008-03-23, 8:45am
Experimentalist

Speaking of... I'm still waiting for the beads that were "traded" to an LE member when I sent them the beaddreamers in early December. How disappointing.

Old 2008-03-23, 9:59am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

What an awesome offer, Dave! I've emailed you... Thanks!

Also Available in

Old 2008-03-23, 10:46am
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Schoonen View Post
I bought a beadreamer from Jeff but it doesn't fit my dremmel. I should pass it on. Anyone got it listed as a 'want' in the secret santa?
I know it's been a while, but I believe you need a collet for the 1/16" beadreamer to fit in a dremel. I have this bit and haven't used it yet because I haven't gotten the collet yet. I guess I should really get one!

-Patti

-Patti
Old 2008-03-23, 10:48am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Here's what I use. I hate collets.

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/dremel/BLU17

Also Available in

Old 2008-03-23, 11:19am
They see me rollin'...

Cool, thanks!

-Patti