No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-01-29, 8:37pm
Scientific Glass Girl

Default best place to buy larger mandrels

i was looking for 3/8'' or 1/4'' mandrels.. does anyone have suggestions? thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-01-29, 8:54pm
Dances With Fire

I just bought a ton of biulk from sundance art glass...not sure how big they get...but they have a great selection and cheap!

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2008-01-30, 5:07am

Hi Ali,
I've gotten big hole mandrels from Noodlesaurus and Thirteen Moons, both of whom are members here. Very happy with both! I'm sure there were others, but it's too early....coffee, need coffee
HTH,

Old 2008-01-30, 9:33am
Butterfly Rancher

Zoozii's has 1/4"

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2008-01-30, 10:28am
Certified Yoga Teacher

Anyone care to post a link? Of course, I know Zooziis, but the others are new to me. This is something I've been considering, too, so thanks for this thread!

Liz

Old 2008-01-30, 10:31am
da General

Tink sells 1/4" in her Etsy store - really good price at 5 for $30.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=72197

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-01-30, 10:48am
Otter

I just got 1/4" mandrels from arrow spings

4 9'' for like 8.00 and I think 4 12" where 9.00

and the have very nice finished ends too.

Otter

Murrini for Sale

#R124
Old 2008-01-30, 10:49am

You might check and see if there is a Metals Superstore near you. I went there a few years and asked for stainless steel tubing in various sizes and had them cut to mandrel length. At the time that was much cheaper than any of the suppliers, and I was able to get a variety of sizes to try out!

The blogs of your fellow LE'ers are here...

And lookie, it's all about me... ***
Old 2008-01-30, 1:05pm
ManBearPig

www.speedymetals.com

Old 2008-01-30, 3:41pm
Scientific Glass Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
wow. thank you chad.

thank you for all the suggestions!

Old 2008-02-05, 1:12pm
On a good hair day.

I have both sizes on my Ebay and website.

Old 2008-02-06, 4:01pm
Fire Bug Mommy

Ali, Hi sweetie! I'm going to send you a couple 1/4" bhb mandrels when I get my order from my guy later this week. They're 1/4" tubing on 1/8" handles. We just started making them not too long ago so you can let me know what you think.

Kim, thanks for the props!

Lauren
Old 2008-02-07, 2:42am
as in the state

I like the mandrels that Lauren has--the tubing on the 1/8" mandrels. It makes it a little easier to rotate when you're not hanging on to a huge piece of tubing. 1/4" isn't so bad, but when you get to 3/4" and even 1"....yikes!

I should order more 1/2" and 3/4" from you, Lauren!

-Amy
Old 2008-02-07, 8:40am

Wow what kind of bead would you need a 3/4" or 1" mandrel
anyone have a picture of one
Old 2008-02-07, 8:51am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno Lynke View Post
Wow what kind of bead would you need a 3/4" or 1" mandrel
anyone have a picture of one
Something like these:

Those are Brad Pearson's, not mine...

Old 2008-02-08, 10:29pm
as in the state

I have one that is 1 1/2". That one took me FOREVER. When I get home I'll try to remember to post a pic of it. That one, I'm not really sure what you would use it for....I was thinking napkin ring. Or to hang another smaller bead on the inside of the BHB. Who knows....

Like my brother says..." 'Cause it's there to be done!" Hee.

-Amy
Old 2008-02-09, 7:13am
Fire Bug Mommy

Amy, I'd love to see what you've done with that one! You are one of the very few and brave who have the 1-1/2" monster! Lol!

Lauren