Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-01, 9:13am

Wow I can not believe that so many of you are on hotheads and do such fantastic work! I do not think I ever made friends with mine!

Kristina-your bracelet for your mom is great! She has to love it! Your encased florals and tree are also great! Thanks for sharing how you do hollows. You should make a tutorial!

Paula-your animals are super!

Houjke-the beads for your spiders are terrific!
Old 2010-06-01, 11:04am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you Bethany. In this month's Newsletter Devardi asked about people doing video clips on things they make, so maybe if I can get it together I can make one on hollows or some of the things I make.

I know others do it differently, so maybe we can get a number of people making them!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-06-01 at 3:17pm.
Old 2010-06-02, 7:05am

You need to do one on your frogs-they are great!
Old 2010-06-02, 7:28am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
You need to do one on your frogs-they are great!
Okay! If I can get my act together with my digital camera I will!

Old 2010-06-02, 10:49pm
Remember to keep smiling

More critters. I had to make another lion I love that tan color.
Name:  060210beads1.JPG
Views: 1516
Size:  51.5 KB
Tiger made with mango got a little to heavy with the black dots
Name:  060210beads 027.JPG
Views: 1244
Size:  51.0 KB
My first time to make a Octopus not sure the blue color but its awesome
Name:  060210beads 036.JPG
Views: 1212
Size:  45.9 KB
Made with a twisties w/the blue that I used on the octopus also the new pink and reddish brown color.
Name:  060210beads 011.JPG
Views: 1166
Size:  61.2 KBName:  060210beads 013.JPG
Views: 1233
Size:  57.4 KB

Sorry for not knowing all the names for the colors but I bought the odd lot no tags and some of the colors I am not so sure what they are when I look them up I can't decide. If anyone knows what blue that is please let me know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-06-03, 8:50am

Paula..the octopus and bunny are so cute!I don't know what the blue is either..but I love how vibrant it is!
have a great day all ♥
"

Old 2010-06-03, 10:20am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Paula, it looks like it could be 81 or 83 on the big old color Chart.

http://www.devardiglass.com/chart.html

Really sweet work and colors!
Old 2010-06-03, 1:16pm

Paula your critters are great! I think I had a 1/2 rod of that in a sample from shipment before last. Pretty blue!
Old 2010-06-03, 7:29pm
Remember to keep smiling

Thank you everyone for the compliments it really warms my heart.

Kristina I went and looked at the colors your mentioned you are probably right but when I look at the color chart when there is so many colors closely the same I have a hard time choosing which one is the correct one. Does anybody else have that problem?

SRA#P109
Old 2010-06-04, 5:07am
Hot Glass Neophyte

This is an encased floral from last night.

It's made with Lipstick and the Dark Transparent Rose, and dark yellow-gold (44 I think) with Transparent Yellow and a Grape Transparent dot in the center.

I did one with 3 flower color combos that cracked. I think it was the white and transparent yellow that made everyone else unhappy but I'm not sure. I will have to make them as the only colors to see.

Paula - I keep wishing I would make spacer bead samples of each color and ID them but I get caught up in making things and end up with a jar of rods with no color ID.

How are the rest of you keeping colors?

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-06-04 at 5:12am.
Old 2010-06-04, 7:21pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

Kristina..... Are you using the Devardi clear to encase or another brand of clear?

Also, I tried out the new copper black frit and I think I cooked the copper right out of it. UGH

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2010-06-04, 7:36pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansan239s View Post
Kristina..... Are you using the Devardi clear to encase or another brand of clear?
Yes Devardi, it's very soft. I used it alone on the gold & plum floral bead.

By the way, I wrote up a step by step on the easy-to-encase layered florals. If you want it here's the link - it's about half way down and has a title:

Encased Multi-layer Roses

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=164546&page=3

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-06-05 at 10:49am.
Old 2010-06-04, 8:21pm

Sorry I have been mia. Too much to do, not enough time to torch and take pictures. Love all the beads I am seeing! Here is the olive green with a silvered ivory stinger and transparent olive green on top. Spacers are olive green and etched transparent green.

Old 2010-06-06, 3:24pm

Wow, I've never killed a thread this long before.

Old 2010-06-06, 5:21pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

I was thinking the same thing Sonja! Well, let me say you posted amazing beads! Gorgeous!

And all I'm worth tonight is this little guy! He's sitting on a Devardi bead with a black base and the Lipstick and Dark transparent Rose layered petals using Devardi clear. The froggie is effetre. I still haven't tried to make a frog with the Devardi pea green, but I will soon.

SO WHERE IS EVERYBODY? Is there an echo in here?

Old 2010-06-06, 7:38pm

Lol I don't know Kristina. Your frogs are so cute! I tried out your flower tutorial today. I think it turned out pretty good but of course will need to practice also. I will post a pic when I get a chance. I do all my pics in batches so I have to have enough beads and jewelry made to make it worthwhile pulling out the light tent etc etc. Did some more testing with the marble also, I paired it with some intense black. Makes for some really organic beads, I really liked the way they turned out. I also tried the copper black over ivory. I had a hard time getting it to go copper (and I am on a hothead lol) and the bits that were copper, didn't stay copper under the encasing. but its still a nice looking bead. I also layered the really deep transparent purple (the one that looks black) over white and am happy with the way the purple retains its color.

Old 2010-06-06, 8:32pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you Sonja - I remade the bead and took a zillion pictures today to make the Tutorial a better one. I'll work at it and try to make a PDF eventually. It would apply to both effetre and Devardi.

It sounds like you have a number of treasures waiting to be shot. I'll look forward to seeing your pics! I haven't gotten to the copper yet either. I pulled stringers, but didn't make anything yet. Does it have to do with a high oxy level? I need to watch their video again.

I am having a VERY frustrating weekend - my HH has been acting up terribly flaring and going out. I ruined 2 beads in a row and then quit before I wanted to jump off a bridge! I just bid on a used Nortel Minor on Ebay, so we shall see if I get it . And THEN I must save for the things to set it up! But at least I will have the most important part acquired!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-06-06 at 8:36pm.
Old 2010-06-06, 9:13pm
Remember to keep smiling

Sonja I tried the olive green by itself didn't care too much for the color so I had planned on just pulling stringers with it for vine but I have to say the combination of colors you used certainly made your set stunning. Now I am going to have to experiment with it some.

Kristina your little froggie is so cute. Sorry to hear about your torch trouble. I will keep my fingers cross you win the torch bid.

Torched alot this weekend. I have just about given all my critters away so I needed to replenish...lol That's just a excuse I enjoyed myself. I mainly made the usually rabbits,dogs,cats etc. no new critters. I think I want to try a rhino or zebra next.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-06-07, 4:20am
Melting

Has anyone had a problem with the dark rose transparent? I made two beads with it and they both cracked. In both, I encased Effetre white with the rose, then encased part of the bead (about half) with another color. I made a third and left out the devardi glass and it did not crack. I'm really disappointed because I loved the way the beads came out.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2010-06-07, 4:41am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnehlers View Post
Has anyone had a problem with the dark rose transparent? I made two beads with it and they both cracked. In both, I encased Effetre white with the rose, then encased part of the bead (about half) with another color. I made a third and left out the devardi glass and it did not crack. I'm really disappointed because I loved the way the beads came out.

I visited your website - you sure do beautiful work! I have encased the dark transparent rose with Devardi clear a number of times and had no problems, but I haven't encased with dark transparent rose.

Out of curiosity - what was the 3rd color and Maker of it? Have you tried making the bead with all Devardi - including the encasing? And were the cracks starting at the mandrel or around the beads?

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-06-07 at 4:45am.
Old 2010-06-07, 6:12am

It has been quiet here the past few days! Everyone must have been busy. We went diving this weekend and had a great time!

Sonja-your olive organics are great!

Kristina your tut is very good! I look forward to trying it. If you need help putting one together in a pdf file I would be happy to help you.

Theresa. I had trouble encasing Effetre white with the rose too! I made about 10 beads with it and 1/2 broke. I have just put the others to the side and waiting to see if they eventually break too. If I am only torching for a short time I put my beads in the blanket and do not turn on the kiln. These were mostly the ones that broke. But I do not think they were thermal. Any more details that you can give us?
Old 2010-06-07, 6:55am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you Bethany! I'll sure let you know if I get stuck making the PDF!

I'm so sorry for the misery of the cracked beads I've had that happen. Maybe we can each make sample beads to test before making a batch, and then report our findings so we all know what does and doesn't play well together?
Old 2010-06-07, 7:03am

That's interesting with the rose. I pulled my beads out of the kiln last night and this morning two of three that I had encased the dk transparent purple over moretti white cracked. They look like thermal cracks but they were properly annealed. I also had the copper black over ivory encased in Devardi clear crack. I rarely have a problem with thermal cracking so I was very disappointed. I will be doing these beads over as soon as I have a chance and see if it happens again. I really need to be able to encase over white to get the best use of some of the darker colors. It would be great if they came out with an opaque white instead of a just the semi opaque.

Old 2010-06-07, 7:12am
Hot Glass Neophyte

In a mixed lot shipment I got one rod of white that seemed opaque, but the rest have been SO... I will ask if they plan to get an opaque white in.

Have you tried to encase the Devardi SO white? Is it to pale? Does it crack when encased with the dark transparent rose? I guess one of us needs to find out and tell us all.
Old 2010-06-07, 7:13am

I purchased some vetro white to try. It came in Friday and I get to torch tonight and tomorrow night. I will try it and let you know.

I really need to make more notes about the things that I have tried and did not work. I made good notes for a while-but not now. I keep thinking since I do not get to torch much that I am not making as much so I will remember.....oh well! I think I will put a pad and pen by my torch area tonight!

Keep up the great work everybody!
Old 2010-06-07, 7:46am
Linda

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to share tips and test this new glass. I looked at the website and the glass prices are extremely good. Has anyone tried the rodholders? I'm also impressed with the Hot Head beads. I haven't used my Hot Head in years. I think I'll take it on vacation this year. Thanks again to LE members.

Linda
Old 2010-06-07, 8:47am

Holy cow my cricket was just delivered! I am doing the happy dance lol! Oh no, what do I do now? I have to go buy a regulator and a hose for the oxycon and and and figure out how to hook everything up and I should probably get a flash back arrestor or something. Oh my gosh I am soooo excited!

Old 2010-06-07, 8:58am
Bigger, longer, and uncut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnehlers View Post
Thank you for bringing this up, because I was thinking about posting on the same problem.

This weekend I made a simple twisty using transparent dark rose with four stripes of Effetre intense black stringer. I used the twisty over Effetre pastels light violet, light turquoise, and dark turquoise. When I pulled them out of the kiln, the transparent rose twisty was cracked on all three beads. More cracks developed during the day. Argh! The dark rose on light violet was especially yummy looking.

Yesterday I played around with a rose twisty on Devardi opaques and semi-opaques. So far I see no cracks. I also made a twisty using Devardi black with the rose.

A friend told me that she tried encasing transparent dark rose with Devardi clear, and her beads cracked.

I'll post again if anything develops concerning the beads I made yesterday.

Old 2010-06-07, 9:14am

try making a teeny bead with the encasement glass on the bottom-like a sandwich. pink-white-pink.

I know encasing reds and oranges can be troublesome, so I usually put a base bead of the clear I plan to encase with on the bottom. If I do that, no cracking.

Worth a shot, certainly.

but make sure they're going right into a hot kiln if you are having cracking problems-that's another easy fix.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2010-06-07, 9:17am

I did not have any trouble encasing the rose with clear. Those did ok last I looked at them (they are boxed up), but I will check on them today.

Tags
devardi