Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-03-16, 3:16pm

Default How To Flare A Bottle Top?

I'm making some little perfume bottles and I don't have a tool for flaring. I'm sure there must be some household item I can use Any ideas or sure bets?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-03-17, 1:43am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

go to the art store and buy yourself a graphite thingy. I don't know what they are called I have two. One was $1.95 and the other was 2.95 . they are like a little chubby stick of graphite that is used for drawing. Get the HB it's the hardest. One of them was thinner and like a pencil and came with this plastic coating. I just pulled the plastic coating off and voila graphite reamer!!!
Old 2007-03-17, 1:56am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

heres a photo....I need to sharpen the chubby one up a bit more though.....I use the thin one the most it's great for loops.....Maybe my brain is making this up but I vaguely remember my teacher using graphite to flare tubing open?

(hey can you see where it rained and rusted my worktop in the shape of a pair of pliers!)
And just to show why I know how to make cheap tools this is how pov I am when it comes to boro....see that vase on the far right that is my entire stash of coloured boro. Pretty sad huh?
Old 2007-03-17, 7:30am
ManBearPig

I do most of my flaring without any tools. Blow a bubble and pop a small hole (the smaller the better). Then spin it like crazy and heat just the hole. Centrifugal motion will do most of the flaring for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-03-17, 10:33am

i use many techniques, favored is centrifical force and gradient heat to open, for specific shape openings i sometimes use jacks and graphite reamers and parchoffi (graphite jacks) you can use any steel just with beeswax for lubrication, likely anything you use to help put loops on things will work, tungsten pick swished quickly around would do. you can use graphite marver to help the shape too on the outside of the edge.
ro
Old 2007-03-17, 5:36pm

Thanks everyone! Lots of great tips here. I picked up a graphite rod today and thought I'd sand the tip down to make it more of a point, before I saw all the posts here. I had no idea I could spin the glass and I will certainly try that. Right now I'm just making a decorative edge like a scallop, kind of wavy. Till I get this down a bit better. OMG, these bottles are very addicting! I'm seeing boro colors like you don't see in beads. They are so wonky and SO BEAUTIFUL. My husband said they look like something out of Dr. Seuss, LOL. I rented the Suellen Fowler DVD and it's great!

Old 2007-03-17, 5:56pm
Dangerous Woman

Rose show us! I can't wait to see them!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-03-18, 7:17am

Ok, these are bottles only a mother would love I am working with a betta, NG and 1 concentrator. I need more heat as I can't even melt in dots. But perfume bottles are what I've always wanted to make so hubby said to get another concentrator. Yippee! These are very crooked and sad and they can only get better but I'm havng so much fun!

Last edited by Rose; 2007-06-17 at 5:37am.
Old 2007-03-18, 8:00am

thats looks great for using a betta and 1 concentrator
Old 2007-03-18, 9:53am

they are great! keep it going!
ro
Old 2007-03-19, 10:32am
Dangerous Woman

WOW! I like! Keep it up and before you know it they will be almost perfect!

I say "almost perfect" because we glass folk never seem satisfied w/ our own work.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-03-19, 10:40am
yukue fumei

WOW Rose!!!
Those are gorgeous!
Love the colors you got!!!

nagi

Old 2007-03-19, 10:40am
ManBearPig

One note about hollow work...

Eventually you will want a bigger flame. Not necessarily hotter, but wider. It's much easier to heat the glass evenly with the wider flame. Heat isn't a big issue since the glass is only a few millimeters thick when it's hollow.

But, for working with such a small torch, that is very good work!

Old 2007-03-19, 11:01am

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. They are fun.

Cosmo, question:

I was thinking that stepping up to 2 concentrators would help. I agree a wider flame is needed. I think I'm limited in that I have to work with household pressure NG and concentrators. Do you know of any other torch I could step up to with these limitations?

I am hoping with the 2nd concentrator I could melt in the surface decoration, which I can't do now. Like hobnails. Just can't get the heat going.... What are your thoughts?

Old 2007-03-19, 11:13am
ManBearPig

The Knight Little Dragon 21 port torch is the first one that comes to mind. Please excuse the shameless plug...

Any torch will be cooler on natural gas than on propane, but that torch should still be plenty hot for what you need. You would definitely need a second concentrator to run it.

Old 2007-03-19, 8:24pm
Pyromaniac

That's a great torch. I used it to make the tree in my avatar photo. It will melt tubing very nicely, and it's very economical.

edit: if you're looking for a reamer, allow me to suggest Menzie's tools... I'll be placing an order there shortly... once I can afford to buy ONE OF EVERYTHING.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy

Last edited by Bunyip; 2007-03-19 at 8:29pm.