Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-03-18, 3:13am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Default Question about frit sizes

I've just spent an hour trying search this, and I'm getting nowhere but frustrated - time to just ask!

Frit size confuses me. Some folks use 0 - 5, some use sm/md/l type descriptions.

I've managed to figure out that numerically 0 is the smallest and it goes up from there, but I'm trying to make sure I have straight is how it translates to what comes out of my Anraku sifters.

Am I correct in assuming that what falls through all 4 screens is size 0/powder, what sits in the smallest screen is 1 / small, what sits in the second smallest is 2 / medium, third screen is 3/large?

I always think of the 4th screen as simply "too darn big" and dump it back into the frit piston for additional pounding.

Do I have it right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-03-18, 6:47am
Lampworkaholic!

Val Cox's book, Frit Secrets, has a great section on frit sizes in which she explains the differences between the various manufacturers numbering systems.

Kugler and Reichenback are the same size grind, and I would say size 1 is about the size of pretzel salt. Gaffer size 1 is smaller and Zimmermann size 1 is/was larger.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-03-18, 8:57am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I don't know where the mfg get their screens but they all seem to vay in size between same designations and use different designations; very confusing.
Old 2012-03-18, 10:52am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I bought a reducing frit assortment from Delphi that turned out to be Frantz frits, which was pretty cool. But I was astounded by the sizes - there's everything from powder to chunks that are as big as aquarium gravel, I'm struggling to even figure out how to use the big 'uns. That started me thinking about sizes, and then I started making my own blends and was trying to figure out how to label my storage tubes... and decided I may as well at least TRY to conform.

Then I figured out there's nothing to conform TO...

L-111

Old 2012-03-18, 11:06am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
I don't know where the mfg get their screens but they all seem to vay in size between same designations and use different designations; very confusing.
This, totally.

Old 2012-03-18, 11:11am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eregel View Post
I bought a reducing frit assortment from Delphi that turned out to be Frantz frits, which was pretty cool. But I was astounded by the sizes - there's everything from powder to chunks that are as big as aquarium gravel, I'm struggling to even figure out how to use the big 'uns. That started me thinking about sizes, and then I started making my own blends and was trying to figure out how to label my storage tubes... and decided I may as well at least TRY to conform.

Then I figured out there's nothing to conform TO...
Pat, on the chunks........

If they are big enough you can pull them into stringer to use.

Or, if you have the same COE clear glass (I use uroboros 96 for clear in that COE), heat up the end of your clear glass into a ball, roll it in the frit, and pull it out into a stringer, those are fun to use.

I have some nebula (no longer made) that was in big chunks. When I use it the method above is what I do. It's 104 so I can use it with 104 clear.

Just be sure, with this method, that you don't mix COEs. It's not like the 5% to 10% rule on top of the bead. Experience has taught me that if I put 96 within a 104 bead it will always always crack.

HTH!

Old 2012-03-18, 11:30am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I'm fortunate in that ALL I have is 104 - and I think at least for the first year or so I'm going to keep it that way.

I like the idea of making stringer with some of the chunky stuff - that's something I'll have to play with next time I get to the torch!

L-111

Old 2012-03-18, 12:22pm
Lampworkaholic!

If you bought reduction frit, then it is probably CoE 92-96. Frantz distributes it, but it is made by German furnace glass manufacturer Kugler.

http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=4298

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-03-18, 12:50pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Argh! I bought it off the 104COE link on Delphi; just went back and looked at the listing and it says "Compatible with all soft glass COE's. For surface use only when using with 104 COE and 90 COE glass." That certainly implies it's 96! NOW I'm angry.

L-111

Old 2012-03-18, 2:59pm
Lampworkaholic!

I'm sorry that you are angry, but why not give it a try. It plays nicely with 104 on the surface and even in small amounts encased. The colors are so much more intense and pretty than 104 frit. All my blends are made with 92-96 CoE colors and work with Bullseye as well as 104.

Old 2012-03-19, 11:39am
@miniuniworld

can the large chunks be broken down into smaller frit? or is the only way to use the large to make stringers?
Old 2012-03-19, 6:40pm
tweetysweetie

Pat, don't be angry...many coe 104 beadmakers use coe 96 frits to decorate, but as every one has stated...use it on the surface in sparing amounts.

Myself and 3 other frit makers/blenders carry strictly coe 104 frit...check out my website, FABfrit.com (siggy in my link), ThatFritGirl, GafferGlass and Rabbit Hutch (they're all LE vendors and you can find their websites in the vendors listing)...many lovely blends in various coes. Good luck...

Old 2012-03-19, 6:47pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiredDesires View Post
Pat, don't be angry...many coe 104 beadmakers use coe 96 frits to decorate, but as every one has stated...use it on the surface in sparing amounts.

Myself and 3 other frit makers/blenders carry strictly coe 104 frit...check out my website, FABfrit.com (siggy in my link), ThatFritGirl, GafferGlass and Rabbit Hutch (they're all LE vendors and you can find their websites in the vendors listing)...many lovely blends in various coes. Good luck...
Gaffer is 100% 96 CoE, no 104 at all. That Frit Girl carries mostly Kugler and Reichenbach, also 96 CoE. And Rabbit Hutch frit is all 96 CoE.

I'm sure you mean well and I'm sure there are other vendors who sell 104 CoE blends, just not the specific ones you mentioned.

Old 2012-03-19, 8:53pm
tweetysweetie

Elizbeth....yes gaffer frit is coe 96, I'm referring to Gails GGG website (I'd correct the above post, but will just address things here) Gail carries coe 104 frit and so does That Frit Girl, not her main line but yes, she does carry it. You are correct about Rabbit, yes coe 96 and I think, Glass Diversions too. Thanks for keeping me on my toes, guess it doesn't pay to be up nearing 20hrs how, I need sleep!

I should have not used the word strictly, lol...I get carried away in my excitement about how many of us offer up frit for people to create beauties with, and my apologies if I neglected to mention any other LE frit vendors no matter what coe they're offering. More choices.....more fun!

Last edited by FiredDesires; 2012-03-19 at 9:58pm.