LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2009-10-29, 8:12am
Carol Bouler Owens

Smile Make your own mandrel spinner cheap!

Hi, Gang!
I decided to give a go at making my own mandrel spinner. I started with a Black and Decker battery operated drill. Then I took pieces of 1/16 brass tubing and cut them about 1/4 in LONGER than the chuck of the drill. I then placed my mandrel in the chuck of the drill and added the brass pieces in a ring around the mandrel inside the chuck. After this, I taped a small piece of duct tape around the chuck, brass, and mandrel to make sure it was steady.
Below is a rough drawing of how it works. The drill cost $10.99 at Walmart, the brass $4 at hobby lobby!

The drill cost $10.99 at Walmart, the brass $4 at hobby lobby!
Old 2009-10-29, 8:14am

Cool

hope it works well. Let us know.

Do you have to add and re-tape the brass every time you add a new mandrel?
Old 2009-10-29, 8:21am
Carol Bouler Owens

Yeah, you'd need to remove the tape to get the mandrel out of the chuck. You may not need to use the tape, but I'm a firm believer in a little extra security. I'm going to make some beads with it after lunch and I'll let you know how it works!!
Old 2009-10-29, 8:41am
Carol Bouler Owens

Well, the idea was good, but the drill is WAY too fast for the adding glass stage. I think that it would work for other applications, like putting enamel on a hot bead with a line sifter or a powdervibe. I'll keep working on it!! Anybody got any ideas?? Thanks!!
Old 2009-10-29, 8:44am
Trying to Hope!

maybe one of those low powered variable speed cordless nail trimmer things?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy Here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2009-10-29, 8:46am
In search of her path....

you might try a fordom type setup the lil stylus part that you can get with a fordom has a speed regulator right on the handle if I remember right.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2009-10-29, 8:47am
Carol Bouler Owens

Yes, that would probably work. I tried my dremel and it starts too fast, but I've got one of those nail thingys somewhere, I'll try that, too! Thanks for the idea, Wendyi
Old 2009-10-29, 9:17am

Find one of those popular mechanic type chat sites and put the question to them. Those guys would love helping you figure this out.
I wish I still had the link for it but if I find it I will post it.

We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the secret sits in the middle and knows. ~ Robert Frost
Old 2009-10-29, 9:32am

I've tried the Dremel for making very tight twisties. Way too fast. They were tight alright.

Old 2009-10-29, 9:53am
Carol Bouler Owens

I found part of the answer at an Ace Hardware site that explains the differences in drills. I think I'm going to have to go to a bigger drill to get the slower speed. I'm going to keep looking for the smallest slllloooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwest speed drill I can find.
Old 2009-10-29, 9:59am
I speak Murrini!

Mama...I applaud your effort. Here's something I just purchased with the same intentions of use...I've not tried it out yet, but in theory, it should work:

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/...mer/SHG4-BR213

I also wrote the company owner and suggested he add as an "additional use" item the foot pedal. I was the one who contacted him and asked him to "test" these two pieces of equipment in tandem - apparently an idea that hadn't occurred to him previously. In essence, with the foot pedal attached, you'd be able to choose speed using the light pressure for very slow turning, and because it's a keyless chuck, it would be easy to remove the mandrel and pop it into the kiln without risk of it cooling down too much while you fiddle with tape and such.

Just thought, since you asked, I'd toss my suggestion into the thread. I won't have time to give this a go for a while, but I'm purty sure it's gonna work awesome!

And if nothing else, I can use it to clean my beads as it's intended to be used - pffttt!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-10-29, 10:11am
Who me?

Opps, double post.
Old 2009-10-29, 10:12am
Who me?

I applaud y'all's efforts. But check out the speed on that BeadSmith - lower end is 1000 rpms per minute - at the slowest speed. That's still 1000/60 = 16.6 rotations per second. Whoa, I can't apply glass that fast even in stringer form.

Bearfoot Scott has done his homework on the EMS and while I don't own one (yet) I don't think we can easily come up with a substitute. Plus, his goes in reverse and stops on a dime. Whoo hoo! Gotta get me one!
Old 2009-10-29, 10:20am
I fart diamonds

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2719

Old 2009-10-29, 10:25am
I speak Murrini!

Shawnette - friggin' awesome! I believe, too, that the foot pedal will allow you to slow the speed of the rotation far below 1000 RPM. I really MUST give it a try. Alternatively, though, Shawnette's idea is PERFECT!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-10-29, 10:27am
I fart diamonds

And it actually works.

Old 2009-10-29, 10:38am
Peerless Thread Killer

Well, wowie-wow! Thanks for the information, Shawnette-can't wait to try this!

Old 2009-10-29, 11:10am
Who me?

I stand corrected - kudos to you for all the research and testing - maybe I'll have to give it a try.
Old 2009-10-29, 11:31am

Arhh...I had to see this. Now I need to try it! I love the EMS tool but it's just so expensive to spend on myself. I love the brass spinners and everything but I just can't do it.

Old 2009-10-29, 11:33am
I fart diamonds

The EMS is definitely better. I had one and sold it. If you can afford the EMS, that's definitely the way to go. If not, my ghetto spinner does work.

Old 2009-10-29, 11:50am
MacGalver

The EMS is a great tool (I love mine!), but it's not a realistic expense for many people. I really needed a spinner back when I was first doing heavy production and I would have been thrilled to find any of these clever ideas! Thanks for sharing.

Old 2009-10-29, 12:43pm
Carol Bouler Owens

Wow, I wonder if that would work with a dremel type tool as well!! Let me know how it works when you try it out!! Sounds great!
Old 2009-10-29, 12:46pm
Carol Bouler Owens

Wow, Shawnette, I'm headed to Harbor Freight!
Old 2009-10-29, 12:48pm
Carol Bouler Owens

I think the EMS would be great, just can't afford one. That's mostly why I started this thread. I think all the ideas are great! Glad you guys helped me out with this!! Thanks bunches!!
Old 2009-10-29, 12:53pm
Carol Bouler Owens

Hi, guys, the part number for the router has changed; it's now 43060-0VGA
Old 2009-10-29, 2:04pm
alisa

W hat is link for the EMS tool? i'd like to check it out. Thanks Alisa
Old 2009-10-30, 3:36am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
W hat is link for the EMS tool? i'd like to check it out. Thanks Alisa
http://www.bearfootart.com/catalog.php?category=76

Old 2009-10-30, 3:45am
I fart diamonds

For another $10, you can add a foot pedal (foot switch 96619-0VGA).

Old 2009-10-30, 5:31am

Okay, now I'm intrigued! Would you still plug the dremel type tool into the adjustable speed controller then that into the foot petal? Or does the foot petal act as an adjustable controller itself?
Old 2009-10-30, 5:58am

I'm with Mopnglo, I'm curious.