No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-12-12, 9:05pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

Default coring pandora beads

Hi I was just wondering if someone can help me with the exact supplies/tools I need to buy and where I can get them from?

I know I need a dapping set where is the cheapest place that sells them?

Which exact size mandrels and exact size tubing do I need to buy for pandora?

Is there anywhere that sells all of the above in one place?

My mum and sister want me to make beads for their bracelets and I have no idea where to start with buying supplies for it.

Also one last question...about how much per bead does it cost for the silver to line them?
Old 2009-12-13, 7:46am
takin the long way 'round

Harbor Freight has a cheap dapping set......1/4" silver tubing is on Rio Grande website....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-12-13, 10:02am

My honest opinion is to bite the bullet and buy the Impress Bead Line sold by ArtIntheRound.com , I tried doing it other ways to save money and it is not worth it! This is the least exspensive way to get the job done right. I bought the silver tubing from Ginko, again, I found her to have the best deal. Here is a link that tells all you need to know: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=98334

Shirley
Old 2009-12-13, 3:27pm
Bad Cat Glass

It's expensive, but I'd vote for the Jim Moore tool for coring. When I was dapping and doing the coring by hand, I broke about 25% of the beads I cored. I've had the Jim Moore tool for about two years, and I haven't broken more than a few in all that time. Just a thought, but if you're going to have to buy tools anyway, why not sink the money into one that will do the best job with the least amount of frustration.
Old 2009-12-13, 6:38pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

omg I can't believe how cheap the impress is? I am so out of touch I thought all the tools to line beads were all over $200! I think I will be buying one rather than buying all the bits and pieces.

Now is this the tubing I need:
http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/...180|792=Tubing

And is it just me but I never knew rio grande had an online catalogue? I thought you had to order a copy?
Old 2009-12-13, 6:38pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

oh and sorry who is ginko? Do you have a link to their site?
Old 2009-12-13, 6:50pm

Ginko is a LE member, you can find her under memebers list. Here is her etsy site: http://ginkodesigns.etsy.com
Old 2009-12-13, 11:58pm

OMG Leanne, Not to butt in on your thread, but we just finished 1st Birthday invitations for my grandson who was also born the 13th of January 2009 at 4.03pm!
Dolly
Old 2009-12-14, 10:25am
Will work for glass...

Didn't have time to read all of the above, but here's my opinion: Get a dapping set; I bought one on E-bay for $33.00. Even if you buy one of the more expensive tools for flaring the tubing, you will need a good hammer for evening the rivets. I also agree with the ImPress from Art in the Round. That is a good do it yourself tool, relatively inexpensive and easy to use. You will also need some silver tubing. You can get it at Rio Grande, but you will need to select the right size tubing for your mandrel; 1/4" outer diameter fits the bracelets but its a little big, I actually like the 3/16" outer diameter one better (you have to convert that to decimals for the tubing sizes). You also need something to cut the tubing. Harbor Freight sells an electric tube cutter for about $19.00. I recommend you read the thread on the sales/auction part of LE. There's one about all the right sizes and how to do it and stuff, I believe it refers to the Art in the Round tool specifically.
Old 2009-12-14, 1:57pm
I need more boro stuff

Leanne, unless you want to make beadcaps, you don't really need dapping tool for coring IMO.

You can get a pipe cutter from Bunnings, mine was only $6. It's on plumbing section.
I bought Impress with extra pin for 3/16" tubing from ginko. The 3/16" tubing from Rio or AE Metal won't fits Pandora, just a slightly too small.