Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2016-03-27, 11:02am
Slave Of The Flame

Default Looking for texture tools

I am looking for some tiny brass texture tools. I bought some from someone here years ago, but for the life of me I cannot remember who. I need a smaller one made. Can anyone point me in the right direction? thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
Old 2016-03-27, 11:06am
Slave Of The Flame

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here's the one I bought before. It's a long rod of brass with two textured ends. It's about 7-8mm thick and I need a smaller one. Maybe 4-5mm thick if possible so I can get in smaller spaces.

~
~
Old 2016-03-27, 6:37pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Wow, that's cool. I wish I could help, I've never seen that one before but I'd love to have one (like I need more tools). I know Olexander with PerlenPresse in Germany will custom make presses and such, he works with brass, you might seek him out. Just google perlenpresse and his site comes right up, you can email him from there.

Old 2016-03-27, 10:19pm
Phill

That looks like standard "knurling" that just about any metal lathe operator should be able to do for you.

You could check around at some of the machine shops that work on regrinding engine valves or resurfacing motor heads.

If you can get brass rod in the diameter that you want most any machine shop should be able to whip it out in no time at all.

As for getting the rod you could be able to use brass welding rod or even steel or iron rod from the metal racks at the hardware store.

Some of the stuff the machinists have on hand might be more specialized than you want to pay for.

You could also just look for knurled knobs in the bins of screws and specialty fasteners at the big box hardware stores.

You will probably want to thread it on to stainless steel all thread rod with a backing nut to lock it in place.
Old 2016-03-27, 10:20pm
Phill

You might also look at some air tool grinding bits as they will have a variation of patterns for gouging metal into shape.
Old 2016-03-28, 9:08pm
MacGalver

Try doing a Google search for "rotary rasp". They look remarkably similar and come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Original purpose is woodcarving and there should be really small ones available too, maybe through hobby supply houses.

Old 2016-03-30, 12:17pm
Slave Of The Flame

Thanks for the leads, guys. Appreciate it.

~
~
Old 2016-04-02, 6:41pm

Can you show us what you do with it? I would love to see a bead!
Old 2016-04-07, 5:56pm
Slave Of The Flame

I would but I use it on pipes and I'm not sure that's cool to show in this thread.

~
~
Old 2016-04-11, 11:15am

L & K tooling comes to my mind but can't find their web site. Are they out of business?

Michelle
Old 2016-05-04, 2:13am

If you still haven't found this and are looking for something ready made, try "knurled brass drift punch" on eBay. They come in 3/8" diameter and maybe you could cut off the end if you need the knurl to go all the way to the end. However, I don't think the knurls on these drift punches are as coarse as the ones in your picture.
Old 2016-05-04, 9:57am
Flame Dames Rule!

I make all my own texture tools, find steel drill bits and drill burrs and put them into wooden handles.

Do a Google Image search on 'Drill Burrs' for pics of the kind of textures out there.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...