Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2016-08-24, 10:28am
Loving learning

Default Bench Shield with not so dark lens?

I have a bench shield, but it is such a dark purple that it is hard to see when I'm doing detailed work.
Does anyone sell one with the shade closer to the color of my fit over glasses?
Old 2016-08-24, 11:17am
HotFlash Designs

I'll be watching this thread too. I sold mine a while back because of that.

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2016-08-24, 1:10pm

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here is a link to the site where I bought a shield that is basically clear. I love it because it's made to fit my Mini CC and it keeps the heat and rays away from my rosy, rosacea cheeks!! I also purchased a 4"x4" dark square of glass that I add to it when I need. I think I picked the dark square up from Blue Moon Stained Glass in Austin, TX. Karen
Old 2016-08-24, 1:32pm
Loving learning

I have seen those, but they only block the heat and some of the glass that pops, not the sodium flare, etc. I would still need to wear my didy's
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-08-25, 2:37pm
Slogan Challenged...

Eileen, a friend of mine got the Devardi bench shield and she is thrilled with it. There is a Diddy lens but it is not that dark to obscure the bead. She sent me some pics....

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2016-08-25, 8:55pm
Loving learning

Thanks Kristin, I will check it out when it isn't so late. We've been down at the county building at a commissioner's meeting, and I'm wiped out.
Old 2016-09-08, 9:49pm

I have been away from the torch for awhile and have been thinking about a bench shield too. I have the problem of prescription lenses then I wear didys over that and sometimes put on my Optivisor for detailed work. I think that is one reason I quit torching. It was just too uncomfortable with all that on my face and head. I don't want to do prescription didys due to my RX changing frequently. I have also ordered some boro so will need shade 3 protection also.
I bought a shade 3 glass sheet and was thinking of either buying the poly ace 202 sheet and rigging up something myself or buying the cheapest ace 202 shield on a 25" arm I can find and then attaching the shade three when I need it. I thought of trying the Devardi shield but wasn't sure if it is big enough.
Kristen, Does your friend think it is big enough? Does it show much distortion? Is it made of glass?
Eileen, Where did you get the one that is too dark? Do you know what brand it is?
Thanks to everyone that has posted. I think I just need to make a decision and jump.

Grady
Old 2016-09-08, 11:43pm
Slogan Challenged...

Hi Grady, the Devardi shield is big enough for her, looks like it covers a nice space in the pics. The dimensions are on the website but I don't know offhand what they are. It is glass, without much distortion according to the pics. She is thrilled with it, and I might get one too. I find the summers too hot to wear the diddys so this might help me too.

Good luck

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2016-09-09, 12:05pm

Thanks Kristin, I think the Devardi one is 4" in diameter. The Phillips ones are more like 4.75" X 5.5". The Devardi looks quite clear in your pictures and you really can't beat the price. Thanks for the extra info.

Grady
Old 2016-09-09, 6:43pm
Loving learning

The one I have I got from Clearanceit, and there is nothing I have seen with a name. I have cataracts, so that might make it worse for me than for someone with better eyesight.

I can use it when I'm doing boro though I think, with some #3 green shade clipons for safety.
Old 2016-09-10, 4:13pm
Neophyte

I have the one from Devardi. Mounted it off the hood above me (takes up too much room on my work surface). I am still pretty new with lampworking, but this works wonderfully. I don't need to wear anything over my prescription glasses, and it's easier to choose colors because you can look at them without the Didys.

Best purchase I've made since starting, bar none.
Old 2016-09-11, 11:30am

I bought a piece of diddy glass and replaced the clear blast shield piece when working soft glass.

#C-151
Old 2016-09-11, 6:20pm

Eileen, I know Clearance-it is an off shoot of Sundance glass. Sundance has the best price next to Devardi's smaller one. I am going to e-mail them and find out if the one in their store is the same one they sold on Clearance it.
Thanks for starting this thread.

Rena, I am glad to know how much you like your Devardi bench shield.

Morgan, Where were you able to find a glass didy sheet? Everything I have found is polycarbonate and I am afraid it is going to be too dark like Eileen's bench shield.

I really wish some of the people who sell bench shields would chime in and educate us on the items they sell.

Grady
Old 2016-09-12, 12:57am

Arrow Springs has it, I found it fits right into the holder on the blast shield marver, for those just starting out the blast shield marver can be ordered with just the mountings no glass
ACE Sheet Glass
ACE 4-1/4" X 5-1/8" ..... $139.00 Part# AV0SHEET4

This is plate sheet glass made from the same ACE glass the lampworking eyewear is made from. Now in very rare supply in sheet form, ACE is superior to its acrylic placement found elsewhere. Glass is ground and polished to a 3.5 mm thickness. Lens Option descriptions.

CLOSE

Quote:
Eileen, I know Clearance-it is an off shoot of Sundance glass. Sundance has the best price next to Devardi's smaller one. I am going to e-mail them and find out if the one in their store is the same one they sold on Clearance it.
Thanks for starting this thread.

Rena, I am glad to know how much you like your Devardi bench shield.

Morgan, Where were you able to find a glass didy sheet? Everything I have found is polycarbonate and I am afraid it is going to be too dark like Eileen's bench shield.

I really wish some of the people who sell bench shields would chime in and educate us on the items they sell.

Grady

#C-151