Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Calls for Entries, etc.

Calls for Entries, etc. -- Calls for Entries, Contests, Exhibits, etc.

Old 2006-10-22, 7:10pm

Default ISGB or AAW members: ConneXtions: A Collaborative Effort Between Wood and Glass

Thought I would break in the new room.

If you are a member of ISGB and haven't heard about this collaberation, you should check it out. Deadline to sign up is coming up soon (11-1-06)

In cooperation with the American Association of Woodturners (AAW), headquartered in St. Paul, MN and the International Society of Glass Beadmakers from Cleveland, OH, you are invited to enter a collaboration of artists to create unique works of art. My understanding is that the pieces will be on view at the Gathering next year and at a woodturners event. It is not a juried show, just a collaberation and then the items are for sale.

For more information, check on the ISGB thread on their website:

http://www.isgb.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9888

You may email ed@isgb.org if you have any questions.

I'm personally really excited about this one. My dad is a woodturner and a member of the AAW and I'm a member of ISGB, so it is perfect. We already have our ideas.

Anyone else signing up for this one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:

Last edited by Lara; 2006-10-22 at 7:12pm.
Old 2006-12-10, 3:14pm
StudioMarcy

My assigned partner and I emailed today. This should be fun.
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2006-12-10, 7:20pm

Hi Marcy - I did the same thing, and he has an awesome website, it was all very stimulating. I think this exhibit was a great idea, although I'm a little intimdated about collaborating with a stranger! Jeri
www.jeribeads.com
Old 2006-12-10, 7:27pm
StudioMarcy

I know. We have two very different styles. He's very traditional in style and I'm not. I think part of the fun will be seeing what we end up with. I can tell my partner is really nice which will make the process easier.

Good luck,
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2006-12-11, 5:36am
Is it Torch Time Yet?

Hey...I'm both ISGB and AAW. Can I partner with myself? BW\aaaahahhaaaa.....I crack me up.

Jood
Old 2006-12-11, 1:00pm
StudioMarcy

Actually, sure you can. Robert Simmons is doing that. I bet there's a lot less conversation as to what you're doing, when it's like that.
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2006-12-25, 10:01pm

this sounds pretty interesting sorry I didn't hear about it sooner..

Facebook

Blogger
Old 2007-04-27, 12:41pm
Kim Hart Designs

I just now saw this thread.
I'm so excited to be doing this with my dad also.
Almost done with the first vessel and fixin to start on the second.
Is anyone going to the museum to see the exhibit?

Kim

Old 2007-04-27, 12:49pm
StudioMarcy

Hi Kim,
I can't go. If someone does go, can they take some photos? I think we're just doing one vessel, but it's about done. This has been a fun collaboration.

Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2007-04-27, 8:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyhoss67 View Post
I just now saw this thread.
I'm so excited to be doing this with my dad also.
Almost done with the first vessel and fixin to start on the second.
Is anyone going to the museum to see the exhibit?

Kim
Cool, someone else entering the exhibit with their dad.
I have finished all my beads. My dad is working on the finishing touches of his parts.

I'm quick excited. We have one bowl/vessel with the beads on the flat top, like spokes kinda and my design which is a wine glass/goblet. I want to call it Fairy Chalice and dad is having non of that.

Old 2007-04-28, 8:59am
Kim Hart Designs

Marcy, I told my DH one weekend I want to fly up there to go see the exhibit. My dad said let him know and he will meet us there(he lives in Illinois). If everything goes right and I do get to go I will surely take MANY pics to share.

Lara does your dad do shows with his turnings?
Your pieces sound very cool. I think the Fairy Chalice sounds fun. What's wrong with that,LOL.

I just LOVE that fact that I'm doing a project with my dad. I was suprized that he said he would do it with me. He usually is so busy with shows I didn't think he would have the time. But he was as excited as I was,made me feel good.

I can not wait to see everyone's pieces. I know they are going to be FABULOUS!!

Kim

Last edited by Ladyhoss67; 2007-05-03 at 2:09pm.
Old 2007-04-28, 9:08am
StudioMarcy

Kim, they sound wonderful. I can't wait to see them.

I'm keeping mine simple with flowers and leaves and maybe a few little other touches. The vessel itself is lovely in its simplicity and I want to be sure it's craftsmanship shows through really well. My teamed up partner, Charles Farrar was so nice.

Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2007-04-28, 9:15am
Kim Hart Designs

That sounds very pretty. I know what you mean about trying not ot cover up the wood piece. I love the wood so much I'm having a hard time putting anything on it.

Actually when I first talked with my dad about the first piece I was also going to put leaves and flowers on it, but then once I saw the shape he did and the wood grain I just couldn't do it.

I bet it would be a little nerve racking to work with someone I didn't know.I'm glad your guy is so nice. I'm sure that makes it easy for you.

Old 2007-05-03, 1:41pm

We just finished the first of our two pieces, the second one will be done this weekend. We have done all of our collaborating by email, and yesterday I met Dennis Daudelin, my collaborator, in person. We had a great time doing this project, I could easily be enthusiastic to work with Dennis again. Our piece is really really wonderful (if I say so myself) and more interestingly, it looks like what we designed. It is so pleasing to be able to create what we planned in the first place. I'm hoping at some point we get the green light to post pics, maybe the ISGB will have a thread. Both Dennis and I are doing a web page for our sites that will show all the process shots (when the exhibit is over I guess). The two of us (and really four of us if you count our spouses) are very happy with how this has all unfolded. Jeri
www.jeribeads.com
Old 2007-05-03, 2:13pm
Kim Hart Designs

Jeri That's WONDERFUL. I'm glad your guy was GREAT to work with too. I'm getting SO EXCITED to see all the pieces....it's just going to drive me crazy.

I'm second guessing myself that I will be able to do my part to level that my dad did his. So far this week has been so very FRUSTRATING! Everything I have been trying is not working out like I want it to and I'm running out of time. I'm going to be a basket case by the time this is over,LOL.

Old 2007-05-03, 4:34pm

We made two almost identical bowls. That way we both get the same thing. But it also meant that after we made the first one, the second one was far simpler to make and assemble. I can't wait to admire yours in the show at the Gathering. Apparently this is a new and big gallery, should be a lovely space. jeri
Old 2007-05-04, 4:41am
Kim Hart Designs

That was a smart thing to do. It will be hard to choose which one we each get. Maybe they will sell and we won't have to worry about it.

I can't even imagine all the Wonderful pieces that will be there!!!

Old 2007-05-04, 8:08pm

I posted a picture in the show and tell this week. Why not! Not everyone will be able to see it in person during the show.

I'm pleased with one, but not as much with the other. Oh well. Pictures for media were due this week, so that is why I had pictures to show.

Old 2007-05-04, 8:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyhoss67 View Post

Lara does your dad do shows with his turnings?
Your pieces sound very cool. I think the Fairy Chalice sounds fun. What's wrong with that,LOL.Kim
Kim

Sorry, I am slow to return to this thread. Dad does one show a year, the local arts and crafts fair: Salmon Days. This is a local street fair in Issaquah Washington. Otherwise the show room is his house.

Fair Chalice is way too girly and fantasy for my dad the Engineer.

Heck, I'll show my picture again.
Attached Images

Old 2007-05-04, 8:39pm
Kim Hart Designs

OH Lara that is GREAT!! I LOVE it. CLAPPING!!

I don't think it matters now to show pics either. By this time I think it would be too late to change your project.
I will show pics as soon as I get ours done.

Old 2007-05-05, 7:19am

Hi Lara - Your piece is lovely. I'm not sure why I thought we weren't supposed to post pics in advance....I'm probably remembering instructions from something else!! Jeri
Old 2007-05-06, 3:59pm

Hi - the ISGB folks think it is fine to post pics, so here I go! My woodturner and new friend is Dennis Daudelin. I made the beads, and there are two views of the same bowl. It is called "World Peace Bowl". Jeri
Attached Images

Old 2007-05-06, 4:19pm
Kim Hart Designs

OHHHH Jeri That is WONDERFUL!! You both must be very PROUD!! Are the words painted or murrini? If those are murrini then I want to take a lesson from you,LOL!

I have spent the day working on our first piece. Got all the scroll work done and the branch with cherry blossom flowers is in the kliln now. I hope to be done by tomorrow. I was so stressed attaching the flowers to the branch I thought I was going to get sick. But only had a few minor problems. Got those fixed and now I think it is going to come out really nice. Guess we'll find out in the morning.

Old 2007-05-06, 5:39pm

Hi Kim - I can't wait to see what you are working on. To answer your question, the words are sandblasted into white enamel that is on the face of the bead. So technically you would call this "coldworking" I guess. Most of my work now involves sandblasting, and Dennis has been exploring work with the "gaps" so we combined our interests in this bowl. Jeri
Old 2007-05-06, 6:45pm

Jeri - Lovely! Ohhhhh That is so much better than our bowl.

This is dad's design. The Goblet was mine. There is one bead on the left side that is too fat. It is bugging me! Our orginal idea was to have the cylinder beads be the neck of an urn shaped vessel, but it wasn't looking right. So we had to use the beads in another type of vessel and this is what we came up with.
Attached Images

Old 2007-05-07, 4:15am
Kim Hart Designs

AAHH LARA that's VERY COOOOLLL!!! I LOVE it!

Seeing ya'lls designs REALLY makes me excited to go up there once it's open to see everybody's designs!!

Jeri... I have never done sand blasting... I will have to try it sometime soon....very cool!

Well I checked my cherry blossom branch last night before I went to bed and it melted almost flat!! I tried to fix it but that didn't work. That's when I had a MELT DOWN!! I was so dissappointed all I could do was cry. It was so hard to get the flowers made without cracking the petals and then to get them on the branch without cracking was just NERVE RACKING, so to see it melt down after all the stress of putting it together was all I could take for the night.

BUT today is a new day and I will go make more flowers, another branch and put it together again and maybe today will be my lucky day.

Old 2007-05-07, 4:36am

Lara - what an outstanding piece. Whatever you see isn't obvious in the pic, the beads really work with the bowl. Don't worry Kim, bad dress rehearsal, good performance. The glass usually performs in the end!! Have a great day guys. Jeri
Old 2007-05-07, 4:57am
StudioMarcy

Lara and Jeri, your pieces are lovely. The wood and glass meld together. I'll try and get a photo of my piece soon. Kim, I know your piece will be lovely. I did flowers and leaves on mine and it took a few tries to figure out how to work it.

My question is...will your pieces be for sale, and how are figuring out pricing?

Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2007-05-07, 5:48am
Kim Hart Designs

Hopefully today will be the day for flowers,LOL. I have 3 weeks to have the second one done and it's the biggest.

My dad is not sure if he wants to sell ours or not. If we do I will let him price it. He already has pieces in many art gallerys and has many collectors so he sells his pieces extremely expensive.
I think that is one of the stresses for me is to make things that are up to par. Even though he made these two pieces really simple, he says, so I can make them shine.......GULP...THANKS DAD!

Old 2007-05-07, 9:33am
StudioMarcy

You will do a wonderful job. I've seen your work and your dad is right. You will make they shine. Sounds like a great dad.

Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy