Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-03-20, 6:32pm

Default Devetrifiction Removal

Can anyone tell me if its possible to get devetrification off of a bead and how to do that.

Thanks!
Old 2007-03-20, 6:40pm

It does not look to bad its actually one color in a frit mix......I'm just afraid my customers wont like it.
Old 2007-03-20, 6:51pm

You know.......I think thats a great idea! Thanks so much...... I always forget I can do that ..................by the way I LOVE your seahorse's!!! They are so wonderful!!
Old 2007-03-20, 8:18pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I've removed detrification from beads before. I've done it with etching solution. You put it in the etching solution, give it a shake and take your beads out right away. It only takes a moment for the detrification to come off. You may have to rub your finger over it under the water to remove all, but it comes off easily. If you do it that way, your bead still remains shiny.

Ebay:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-03-20, 8:22pm

Hmm that might be my first try and then i'll go from there.......thanks! I love the color but if I have to I'll etch them.
Old 2007-03-21, 5:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbeedz1 View Post
I've removed detrification from beads before. I've done it with etching solution. You put it in the etching solution, give it a shake and take your beads out right away. It only takes a moment for the detrification to come off. You may have to rub your finger over it under the water to remove all, but it comes off easily. If you do it that way, your bead still remains shiny.
Reeeealy. HUH! Now, this is a tip I've never heard before. Usually if I have a bead that has detrification on it, I just chuck it! I will try this the next time I have a problem. Thanks for the tip!!!

Candy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-03-21, 4:28pm
one day at a time

Here's what I got out of a really pitty bead from over cooking raku-106. I etched it and gave it the "ancient" look. Pitty is not always bad when you can etch!
Attached Images

Old 2007-03-21, 5:26pm

yeah, you're right! Very nice!

Old 2007-03-21, 6:17pm

Wow.........it does look better!
Old 2007-03-21, 7:38pm
Dangerous Woman

Is devit what people soak beads in coke to remove?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-03-22, 4:44am
addicted to the flame

If the bead is smooth, you could go the other way and try polishing off the devitted surface with an ultrafine buffer. I have some foam jewelers polishing pads Rio Grande, but most often, a flexible foamcore "shine" nail buffer will also work for removing rough spots. I use them for tidying up coldworked edges.

A set from WalMart that has smoothers, buffers, shiners and polishers costs about two bucks, in the beauty/nail department.

By the way, it's devitrification, not detrification -- though I'm sure that was just a typo gone bad.
Old 2007-03-22, 10:03am
Facebook addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondewants2bead View Post
It does not look to bad its actually one color in a frit mix......I'm just afraid my customers wont like it.
Customers will probably love it! Sometimes they like what we don't

Mini cc w/2, 5 lpm concentrators
Old 2007-03-22, 11:32am
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimy View Post
Customers will probably love it! Sometimes they like what we don't
Isn't that the truth! I keep saying I have to make things I don't like so I can continue to sell stuff! Things that I think "No one would ever want that" sell right quick. Things that I think will fly off the table end up sitting around forever!

Old 2007-03-22, 1:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondewants2bead View Post
Can anyone tell me if its possible to get devetrification off of a bead and how to do that.

Thanks!
Can you please tell me what "devetrification" is? I'm a newbie. I'm sure if its something that shouldn't be on a bead, I've probably had it and didn't know what it was called!

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 2007-03-22, 10:06pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M View Post
Can you please tell me what "devetrification" is? I'm a newbie. I'm sure if its something that shouldn't be on a bead, I've probably had it and didn't know what it was called!

Thanks,
Shawn
It's when the glass loses it's glossy shine in the flame, and instead, you have a finely pitted or unshiny, and even somewhat rough surface. Seen in colors like Effetre 254 purple, Zimmerman purple rose frit, raku-106 (as above in my post), copper blue Reichenbach frit, and there may be many other finicky colors like that.

You can usually get rid of it by letting the bead cool some and then go back in the flame to fire polish until the shine comes back. Takes practice, but with a good eye you can check the changes as they occur in the flame.

Clear as mud??
Old 2007-03-23, 7:42am
McAfee Art Glass

You can also take a teaspoon of borax in about a pint of water in a mister bottle, and sprasy it on your hot bead and return to flame and fire polish. Works for me anyway, but only on beads or other items you are working on and notice the divit at the time. After its annealed I have no Idea.

Dave

Old 2007-03-23, 8:01am

*slaps forehead* I know about borax for devit prevention in fusing, why did I not think of this for torching. Sometimes I am so stuck in a rut. Thanks, Dave, for the info!

Ginko Beads
Old 2007-03-23, 9:05am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104 View Post
Is devit what people soak beads in coke to remove?
I think the coke thing is for reduction, but am not 100% sure.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-03-24, 3:31am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I think the coke thing is for reduction, but am not 100% sure.

Yep, it is. The reduction "scum" can be removed with Coke or toilet bowl cleaner, but devit is a surface texture change.
Old 2007-03-24, 7:17am

devitrification is when the glass begins to form crystals on the surface of your bead or fused glass project.

Old 2007-03-24, 7:17am
Dangerous Woman

Thanks for setting me straight.

Old 2007-03-24, 9:03pm
Life is change. Love it

Ok you guys, I soaked a copper green reduced bead in coke for 3 days to remove reduction. No result. Soaked it in toilet bowl cleaner for 2 days. No result. I don't know what pop and cleaners you are using, but they are certainly more powerful than mine.

Old 2007-03-25, 1:18am

the toilet cleaner has to be one that removes limescale as well. I don't know if you can get it over there, but I use blue harpic. works a treat on copper green, dark turq etc.
Old 2007-03-25, 2:15pm

I use Snobol toilet cleaner because it works great AND it isn't thick and gooey like many popular brands. I store mine in a small mason jar. I keep another small mason jar with it so that when I put beads into it I can use a hand held strainer to remove the beads and poor the Snobol into the second jar. When the Snobol gets really coudy, I dump it in the toilet and clean with it. A bottle of Snobol can last me for years!!

Candy

Old 2007-03-25, 7:11pm
Dangerous Woman

I use Whink Rust and Stain remover. But if you leave the beads in it too long it will etch them.

Old 2007-03-26, 6:27am
Button Queen

I use "The Works" to remove reduction. But if the reduction is too heavy, I don't think anything will take it off.
Old 2007-03-26, 11:44am
On a good hair day.

I use The Works too. It works great on beads and the toliet too! I just found it the other day too at The Dollar Tree for $1. Bargain so I bought a few bottles.